Sestos PID

Postby Joe1002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 00:39

So I have finally finished my controller build and I have set the pid to autotune.

Now the plan for the moment is to use it to heat my mash liquor for BIAB then control the boil.

The first part is easy, set temp in auto mode and let it get on with it. It's the boil part I am stuck on. I'm sure I read it can be switched to manual mode and the power output reduced so I can make the boil less vigorous, how the heck do I do that?

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Re: Sestos PID

Postby chastuck » Sun Feb 15, 2015 01:23

I have Auberins PIDS - type SYL2352. You can program these to do exactly what you asking of the Sestos PID. I have been told the Sestos are copies of the SYL2352. If you go to the Auberins site you can download the SYL2352 manual This might help you.
chastuck
Brewer

Sestos PID

Postby Joe1002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 01:49

Thanks chastuck, I have read those manuals numerous times and I am none the wiser.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby PhatFil » Sun Feb 15, 2015 04:51

Imho you want a power controller for that job,
A pid is going to get you to a target temp and maintain it so perhaps determine the temperature of a rolling boil and set that as the target temp? though it will change as you boil off the vapor..

a power controller will let you dial up and down the power to the element, there are a few options, the cheapest i think is a suitably rated for your element ebay china board
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000W-High-Po ... 2a4c1ea589
but i opted to use a resistance controlled ssr kit i got off ebay for just over a tenner, it included a sticky back dial, knob and potentiometer circa 500 ohm, and the ssr itself,
unlike the pid ssr its not driven by a dc current but is goverend by the resistance between its control terminals, so the potentiometer bridges the control terminals and the load is goverend between the load carrying terminals.. simple ;) I added a volt/amp meter and heatsink again from ebay and stuck it all in a box..

the voltage reads 244 as i took the power feed to the board from the input side not output ;), amps are measured via passing the ouput live from the ssr thru a 'polo mint' attached to the meter.

and there are more expensive options out there too...
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Clwrob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 09:10

Hi Phatfil,
Your controller is what I have been looking for, but cannot find what bits / parts needed? Hence do you mind sharing the wiring diagram for your system and a bit more detail on the actual bits and pieces?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clwrob
Brewer

Postby Clwrob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:37

Hi Phatfil,
Would you be kind enough to share a wiring diagram of your control system?
Thanks

Clwrob
Brewer

Postby paulg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:42

joe
to answer your actual question you need to set the RUN parameter to =0
so hold set button in until you enter program mode then use the up /down buttonns to scroll to RUN and change it to 0
then exit prog mode.
to use manual mode push the AT button and the green run light should glow you arenow in manual mode
to see the % push the set button and the display will show the % output ,to change it use the up /down button .
to exit maual mode push AT again green light goes out .

hope you can understand this explaination
paulg
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Sun Feb 15, 2015 10:46

paulg wrote:joe
to answer your actual question you need to set the RUN parameter to =0
so hold set button in until you enter program mode then use the up /down buttonns to scroll to RUN and change it to 0
then exit prog mode.
to use manual mode push the AT button and the green run light should glow you arenow in manual mode
to see the % push the set button and the display will show the % output ,to change it use the up /down button .
to exit maual mode push AT again green light goes out .

hope you can understand this explaination

+1
I use my sestos pid as a power controller for the boil and it works great :thumb:

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sun Feb 15, 2015 16:23

wirring diagram would take me a month to do with s/w..

and would be ott

i used one ssr similar to http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SSVR-25VA-25A ... 2c6ecd42b9
i think ita a linear potentiometer needed.. circa 500 ohm, check the ssr u use..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-5-10-20-50- ... 27beb24d17

and something like this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Digital-Volt- ... 3a8e51abbf

bridge the control side of the ssr with the potentiometer, and as with a current switched ssr split the load live over the power terminals..

connect the meter to neutral and the output side of the ssr live while passing the output live wire through the amp sensor 'polo mint'.

hope that helps

edit re the pot, 500k resistance, and as all my bits came in a kit bundle and there is little on the pot that identifies it i can determine,, if its a logaritmic pot needed its a 99p part ;) tho as its a linear scale output we want?? im guessing its a linear pot needed, if wrong it will just not work smoothly over the range, jumping from 0-full on at one end of the scale.. rated the same so i dont think any damage will be caused to the ssr, but then again what i know about electronics could be tweeted in a single message..

Last edited by PhatFil on Sun Feb 15, 2015 16:53, edited 1 time in total.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Clwrob » Sun Feb 15, 2015 16:51

Thanks this is brilliant

Clwrob
Brewer

Postby Joe1002 » Sun Feb 15, 2015 21:04

Thanks chaps, even though I set it to 120c is still kept turning off for a few seconds, is that normal?

Joe1002

Postby paulg » Sun Feb 15, 2015 21:58

I take it you mean when boiling, with the pid in automatic mode it will still pulse the output .It will start off with the output on permanently and as it gets closer to the target temperature so the pid pulses more on/off.
I think even in manual mode the pid still pulses and you are adjusting the % of the pid output settings.
paulg
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Sat Jul 14, 2018 05:49

At 120 tuned correctly I would expect it to be on all of the time.

In manual at 100% I would expect the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LeeH
Brewer