Re: Ye Compleat Guide to TurboCider

Postby oldbloke » Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:46

MrBoy wrote:Nice guide, sounds fun.

Here's a question: why not just throw a few teabags right into the FV before you start? It's surely going to diffuse enough into the FV over a week or two without needing to make the tea separately?

It sounds like this is an excellent method for making small-batches too, since everything you need (apart from yeast) is in the juice. e.g. use a 2L lemonade bottle with an airlock and just a pinch of yeast? I assume you couldn't go the full hog and make it in 2L bottles, wait for it to finish and then add conditioning sugar to the same bottle and screw the bottle shut... would you get too much muck or could you get away with this?

You don't make tea with cold water, it needs to be boiling to draw out the flavours. I think a similar objection would apply to your idea of jyst chucking a few teabags into the fv. And the extra time the bags were in would lead to flavours you don't want, too - the tea wants to be strong rather than stewed.
In any case it's well worth splashing out on powder tannin to make room for more juice.

Making it in 2l pets... Less easy to airlock, much more trub in the finished bottle, etc. a demijohn can be bottled to 2 pets plus a drink left over at bottling time. It's about the smallest sensible quantity given you have to open a yeast pack
oldbloke

Postby MrBoy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:18

You can make tea with cold water though, in fact it is typically done to give a much more delicate flavour - for instance "sun tea".

That said, it was more a curiosity than a suggestion :)
Thanks for the advice, I guess I'd be better stumping up the money for a DJ (one other thought on the in-bottle setup was you don't need as much kit, which needs storing :) )
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:42

I doubt you will get the tannin out with a cold infusion that's why you probably get more delicate flavours as the tannin isn't being extracted as efficiently.

graysalchemy

Postby oldbloke » Wed Sep 09, 2015 21:56

If you can't get a DJ cheap from a boot sale or something, buy 5l of water from a supermarket and use the container it came in
oldbloke

Postby MrBoy » Thu Sep 17, 2015 20:32

graysalchemy wrote:I doubt you will get the tannin out with a cold infusion that's why you probably get more delicate flavours as the tannin isn't being extracted as efficiently.
You know, I think you're absolutely right... probably that's the whole point!

Oh well.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby Emu636 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 22:21

Wow, great guide!

I've read up on this a bit & fancy a go. It seams some people stop fermentation when there happy with the sweetness by racking & cold crashing at about 1.010.
Have you ever tried this? Could this create bottle bombs if I put priming sugar in the bottles & the cider heats up or would it even prime if all the yeast has dropped out?

Cheers
Emu636
Brewer

Postby Crastney » Thu Dec 17, 2015 12:11

lower than 1.010 should be ok... you probably don't need to add too much more priming sugar, if any at all.
yes it'll start again once warmer - those yeasties are very small, and will be there in high enough number to carry on doing what they do, even if you've racked off most of them.

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby Emu636 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 01:38

Thanks for that,

I think I might rack & cold crash it. Then bottle it with no priming sugar, let it warm up & hopefully get some carbonation then chill it again before they go bang! I'm planning on bottling it in 2l plastic cider bottles I've been saving so I will be able to squeeze them to check carbonation levels, a bit of trail & error approach on this one!
Emu636
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Fri Sep 23, 2016 17:35

Real fun recipe and been reading this for a while , so decided to brew one up,
went for 3 litres AJ, half a litre black tea for me tannin, half a litre apple and mango juice as a background flavour , will top up with AJ after the rigorous first 5 days of fermentation. Teaspoon of malic acid , teaspoon yeast nutrient , pitched in Gervin CV13 cider yeast at bang on 20 c , looking forward to see how this turns out , all good fun :D

Avoid hangovers stay drunk ! :drunk:
Cider-Sim
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Wed Sep 28, 2016 17:49

Just a quick question , should a TC still have fruit pulp and quite a lot of froth etc sitting on top of all the juice on day 6 ? still the odd bubble through the bubble trap, all advice welcome ty.

Cider-Sim
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Sep 28, 2016 18:05

Yeah that'll be the mango. I'd forget about it for at least a few weeks.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby Cider-Sim » Wed Sep 28, 2016 19:17

robwalker wrote:Yeah that'll be the mango. I'd forget about it for at least a few weeks.

Nice one Rob thanks for the reassurance , appreciate it :cheers:

Cider-Sim
Brewer

Previous