Bat out of a bell

70% of the flavours in beer come from the yeast. Learn how to become a serious yeast wrangler

Bat out of a bell

Postby Brewzee » Tue Nov 19, 2019 07:53

Wow pitched a nicely working starter of Liberty Bell on Saturday and 60 hours later it was done. No additional heat provided. Way faster than saf 05 which I've used exclusively for last couple of years. Tempted not to prime the bottles as I cant believe all longer chain sugars have been munched yet, any views on that other than buy a new hydrometer...it broke years ago.
Brewzee
Brewer

Re: Bat out of a bell

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Nov 20, 2019 08:48

Brewzee wrote:Wow pitched a nicely working starter of Liberty Bell on Saturday and 60 hours later it was done. No additional heat provided. Way faster than saf 05 which I've used exclusively for last couple of years. Tempted not to prime the bottles as I cant believe all longer chain sugars have been munched yet, any views on that other than buy a new hydrometer...it broke years ago.

How do you know that the intended gravity was reached after 60 hours without a hydrometer :scratch: :scratch:

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Re: Bat out of a bell

Postby Pakman » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:59

I find that my brews run out of steam at 1.013 after 3-4 days but they will still drop to 1.010ish by the time they've spent the full 14 days in the FV followed by another 14 days in the conditioning barrel. This month routine reduces the number of over carbonated beers but I still get the occasional surprise ;^)
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer