cloudy wort

Discuss all things about brewing beer

cloudy wort

Postby bitterandtwisted » Thu May 16, 2019 08:06

Hi All,
i have been brewing for a year or so, i use BIAB and have been having good results until recently -my last two brews have been a little cloudy but tasted fine (a best bitter and a strong bitter), i currently have an IPA in FV which is VERY cloudy, almost milky - the only thing that has changed is that i have started to use hop pellets instead of leaf.

1) could the pellet be causing the cloudiness?
2) is there anything i can do to either prevent it or clear it? i have been reading about cold crashing and isinglas etc but looking for advice from people with experience.

thanks in advance!
bitterandtwisted
Brewer

Re: cloudy wort

Postby Dennis King » Thu May 16, 2019 19:37

There are several products to help clarity. Personally I use these, I believe pellets may have an effect but I only have a limited experience with them
Dennis King

Postby sledgehammer » Fri May 17, 2019 17:52

For your current brew in the FV the protofloc tablets will not help
I have very successfully used isinglass what you need to do is when it finishes fermenting transfer it to another vessel I used about a pint of isinglass for 9 gallons of ale but don’t overdose
For fucture brews in the kettle I used 1 1/2 to 2 protofloc tabs for the 60L of wort

Steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri May 17, 2019 21:46

Yeah, loose hop material has tannins which bond with proteins, larger surface area, more visible. Pellets are quite fine so more carrying through to FV probably.
Work on clearing up your wort - recirc, settle, remove bag gently, good hot break and vigorous boil with correct protafloc dosage. BIAB is terrible for carrying loose trub over if you’re not careful - the resulting debris can smother the yeast and cause clarity problems.

If you’re really buggered i had a problematic batch with a very thick wort earlier this year. Brausol shifted it no bother.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby HTH1975 » Sat May 18, 2019 16:49

robwalker wrote:Yeah, loose hop material has tannins which bond with proteins, larger surface area, more visible. Pellets are quite fine so more carrying through to FV probably.
Work on clearing up your wort - recirc, settle, remove bag gently, good hot break and vigorous boil with correct protafloc dosage. BIAB is terrible for carrying loose trub over if you’re not careful - the resulting debris can smother the yeast and cause clarity problems.

If you’re really buggered i had a problematic batch with a very thick wort earlier this year. Brausol shifted it no bother.

Brausol is great, I’ve been using it for about a year now. I diedit into the FV at the start of fermentation on my last brew (as detailed on the spec sheet as the preferred method) and I’ve got even better clarity than usual.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat May 18, 2019 19:49

HTH1975 wrote:
robwalker wrote:Yeah, loose hop material has tannins which bond with proteins, larger surface area, more visible. Pellets are quite fine so more carrying through to FV probably.

Brausol is great, I’ve been using it for about a year now. I diedit into the FV at the start of fermentation on my last brew (as detailed on the spec sheet as the preferred method) and I’ve got even better clarity than usual.

Never tried it at the start - only the end - interested to try though!
robwalker
Brewer