Spring Thing Stout

Tell us what you are brewing, show us your methods, and remember we like pictures

Spring Thing Stout

Postby BigYin » Fri Apr 19, 2019 16:52

Seems appropriate for a spring day to brew a nice stout named Spring Thing Stout 8-)

A shade under 13kg of grain, with a fair old amount of black malt and roast barley makes for a nice dark wort.

IMG_20190419_123557_edit.jpg
brew setup
IMG_20190419_123557_edit.jpg (218.95 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Fly sparging away happily :D

IMG_20190419_123628_edit.jpg
fly sparge
IMG_20190419_123628_edit.jpg (216.28 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Around 140g of hops added half an hour into the boil

IMG_20190419_140835_edit.jpg
hops
IMG_20190419_140835_edit.jpg (228.01 KiB) Viewed 443 times

Ended up with 54 litres at 1.044 OG, tucked away in the fermenter, new tap added for the blow-off tube as the last one tended to leak.. Brew Pi is behaving perfectly after adding a WiFi range extender in the house, so now the shed is reliably in range 8-)

IMG_20190419_155126_edit.jpg
fermenter
IMG_20190419_155126_edit.jpg (227.26 KiB) Viewed 443 times
BigYin
Brewer

Re: Spring Thing Stout

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:02

That looks like a pretty sweet set up :thumb:

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Apr 22, 2019 07:38

Ever tried loosening the lid on that FV ? Ditch the blow of tube. When the ferment abates seal the lid and fit a foam bung in the bubbler hole. That way you can transfer via the tap and the incoming air is filtered by the foam bung.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:04

It makes one hell of a mess if the foam gets to the point it needs the blow-off and it leaks :rofl:

Basically, without the blow off, I've had pints of beer spilling down the sides of the fermenter - not good when there's a heater down there! Albeit, it's got a cover to prevent liquid dropping directly on it - but no, there's a bloody good reason for the blow off :thumb: 8-)
BigYin
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Wed Apr 24, 2019 06:41

BigYin wrote:It makes one hell of a mess if the foam gets to the point it needs the blow-off and it leaks :rofl:

Basically, without the blow off, I've had pints of beer spilling down the sides of the fermenter - not good when there's a heater down there! Albeit, it's got a cover to prevent liquid dropping directly on it - but no, there's a bloody good reason for the blow off :thumb: 8-)

The reason that it overflows is that the FV is sealed. As soon as active fermentation has started loosen the lid so it is just resting on top of the FV. When the active ferment abates after five to seven days refit the lid and an airlock. I use a foam bung.
You will not have any problems with overflowing because top fermenting yeast behaves differently when it is open fermented.
For the record I use the same make of FV (60 litre) to ferment 57 litres of wort and never have a problem.

INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Apr 24, 2019 07:55

Nice set-up.. :thumb:

I also agree with the blow-off pipes, i've got 3 fermenters at mo with a stout bubbling away with pipes on.. Not worth the mess!!

Bet the brew will taste great, love stouts & porters. :drink:

BB

"Brewing Fine Ales in Barnsley Since 1984"
- - - - - - - 35 years (1984 - 2019)- - - - - - -
Pints Brewed in 2019......... 208
Pints brewed in 2018.. 416
Pints brewed in 2017.. 416
Pints brewed in 2016.. 208
Pints brewed in 2015.. 624
Pints brewed in 2014.. 832
BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Fri Apr 26, 2019 07:10

To those of us who have never done it I say try open fermenting during high krausen and see the difference.

INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Wed May 08, 2019 18:56

INDIAPALEALE wrote:To those of us who have never done it I say try open fermenting during high krausen and see the difference.

Curiosity makes me want to try it, but caution and awareness of fire risk says NO! :(

I'm in Scotland. Fermenter is in my shed. It may be May, but it was 1.4c yesterday morning - and if the sun does actually shine the shed quickly heats up to stifling temps - hardly the best environment for fermenting!

So, the fermenter is kept in the big fridge, with a heater in there. BrewPi looks after the beer and kicks the heater or fridge in when needed. Due to the design of the fridge and the size of the fermenter, the only practical place for the heater is under the fermenter, in the wee space where the salad trays would have sat. Now, imagine what would happen with a sugary wort running down the side of the fermenter and onto a heater powered by 240 volts.....

Not that I wish to appear ungrateful for suggestions that might improve my brewing, but I'm not in a position to try your suggestion mate - sorry!
BigYin
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Thu May 09, 2019 08:10

BigYin wrote:
INDIAPALEALE wrote:To those of us who have never done it I say try open fermenting during high krausen and see the difference.

Curiosity makes me want to try it, but caution and awareness of fire risk says NO! :(

I'm in Scotland. Fermenter is in my shed. It may be May, but it was 1.4c yesterday morning - and if the sun does actually shine the shed quickly heats up to stifling temps - hardly the best environment for fermenting!

So, the fermenter is kept in the big fridge, with a heater in there. BrewPi looks after the beer and kicks the heater or fridge in when needed. Due to the design of the fridge and the size of the fermenter, the only practical place for the heater is under the fermenter, in the wee space where the salad trays would have sat. Now, imagine what would happen with a sugary wort running down the side of the fermenter and onto a heater powered by 240 volts.....

Not that I wish to appear ungrateful for suggestions that might improve my brewing, but I'm not in a position to try your suggestion mate - sorry!

I have exactly the same fermention setup and believe me it works. Even with yeast such as Cullercoats which has superhuman climbing abilities it does not overflow. Try this experiment on a day when you have time to watch the FV.

When the krausen reaches almost,or even when it does, to the lid remove the lid and it will subside almost immediately. It acts like a drowning man searching for oxygen until it finds it and then relaxes.

INDIAPALEALE
Brewer