SSR for boil control

Postby AFewTooMany » Thu Feb 28, 2019 09:26

Hi all,

Looking to setup some form of boil control for 2x 2.4kw elements in my 100L boiler. I can't decide between the simplicity of solid state voltage regulars with 500kohm pots or a pwm controlled standard ssr.

Does anyone have any experience with solid state voltage regulators such as https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3X-VolTage-Resistance-Regulator-Solid-State-Relay-SSR-40A-24-380V-AC-w-Heat-Y6U2/202573180344?epid=0&hash=item2f2a4d6db8:g:6D8AAOSwxUlbU0x0:rk:17:pf:0?

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Re: SSR for boil control

Postby Aleman » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:07

My personal preference is a Phase angle controller ... This from a post I made some time ago ... I should say I have also used th eUC ones now and they work just as well.

Aleman wrote:You can find Burst fire controllers ready built to do the job, or if you don't mind the EFI then a Phase angle controller is also suitable.

I got mine (PAC not a BFC) from United Automation And I have a 15A one for the boiler and a 6A one for the pump (MM 809HS), although Under Control were selling them cheaper, plus it's difficult to get the UA ones now (I got mine from Farnell quite some time ago), I know people have ordered from UC and been happy . . . .

NOTE That they have to be screwed to a dirty great heat sink if you don't want to have a very reduced life ;)

One thing I should point out is that if you are planning on driving BOTH elements from one Dirty Great SSR is that you will need a Dirty Great Feed to supply it, plus a Dirty Great Big Heat Sink to stop them blowing.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Thu Feb 28, 2019 11:31

Going to control each element with a seperate ssr and power supply as I have 2 ring mains within easy reach. I already use a PID controlled SSR for HERMS so thinking I'll have a switched control source (PID or PWM) for one element and second element with just PWM. I would only need to pick up another heat sink and build the two PWM circuits which is the cheapest option for me.

Cheers for the suggestion, but it is a bit more cash than I was hoping to spend

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sun Mar 17, 2019 19:36

Your post reminded me to go to my PID build thread - http://forum.craftbrewing.org.uk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3578

The image links were knackered, so I've spent an entertaining time fixing all of them, and also realized that PID unit has now been doing service for 9 years! :cheers:
BigYin
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sun Mar 17, 2019 22:07

Fantastic 'how to' Big Yin :thumb: :thumb:

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer