Sticking temp-probe to FVs

Discuss all things about brewing beer

Sticking temp-probe to FVs

Postby MrBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 13:27

I am really struggling to get any tape to stick to my FV/plastic keg. I want to get a length of tape and some tissue to secure and insulate a 2" probe to the side of the vessel for my Inkbird controller, but even duct tape is just falling off... I am not sure if it's the plastic or because the temperatures lead to a lot of condensation.

How can I do this in a way that it will a)stick b)can be removed without leaving loads of sticky gunk later?

Thanks!
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: Sticking temp-probe to FVs

Postby HTH1975 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 17:42

Is it dry? - I just use sellotape, but have also used masking tape.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby MrBoy » Thu Dec 20, 2018 18:08

Maybe that's all it is. But if you are cooling your beer it gets condensation, maybe once the tape is stuck this is less of an issue.

If others use regular stuff I'll be more careful drying first next time.
MrBoy
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Fri Dec 21, 2018 17:01

Make sure it's dry and use multiple pieces. Alternatively I have seen done people use bungee cords or ratched equivalents to secure a probe under bubblewrap.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby london_lhr » Sat Dec 22, 2018 15:20

Use some wide elastic as used in clothing, about 1" (2.5cm) wide, sew velcro on both ends and put this completely around the fermenter.
Make elastic shorter than circumference of fermenter so that you need to stretch the elastic for the velcro ends to stick together.
Tuck some bubble wrap, folded, under your elastic and fit probe between the bubble wrap and the fermenter.
Works a treat!
london_lhr
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:33

MrBoy wrote:I am really struggling to get any tape to stick to my FV/plastic keg. I want to get a length of tape and some tissue to secure and insulate a 2" probe to the side of the vessel for my Inkbird controller, but even duct tape is just falling off... I am not sure if it's the plastic or because the temperatures lead to a lot of condensation.

How can I do this in a way that it will a)stick b)can be removed without leaving loads of sticky gunk later?

Thanks!

Fit a stainless steel thermowell (available from The Maltmiller) and your problem will be over. Whats more your temperature control will be more accurate because the probe will be be where it should be. In the middle of the fermenting beer. Just take care where making the hole in the FV. It needs to be a tight fit.

Edit
If you are controlling the temperature of barreled beer fill a bottle with water stand it next to the barrel and stick your sensor in the bottle. That way you will have less fluctuations in temperature.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Mon Jan 07, 2019 16:51

I make a bubblewrap pouch and then use duck/gaffer tape to fix it to the FV. Good tip - once you've made the first tape across the tissue/bubblewrap, fit two more strips at right angles just where the edge of the tissue/bubblewrap is. Like an H pattern. Then it'll stay.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby sledgehammer » Mon Jan 07, 2019 20:45

if your sticking the probe to the exterior of the vessle try silicone sealant i have used it in industrial situations to place cabeling on stainless catering machenery
and should pull off fairly cleanly when you want to take it off again

Steve
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Jan 13, 2019 08:39

I just use sellotape to fix the probe to the outside of the plastic fv. Never fallen off yet.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby Jeltz » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:37

I found micropore best at resisting condensation, that said duct tape should have worked but I never tried it.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 00:47

Duck tape works fine for me, just make sure the surface is dry before sticking it on.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002