serving bright beer from a cornie

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

serving bright beer from a cornie

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Aug 20, 2018 17:26

I have always had problems serving bright beer from a cornie. OK you can sort of get round it by force carbonating clearish beer but unless you have the ability to filter and pasturise your beer there will always be some sediment at the bottom that gets that get sucked up the beer out tube and into your glass. Now this may not worry most people but it doesn't happen with plastic barrels and I was on the point of selling my twelve cornies and purchasing some more plastic barrels. I looked around at other peoples solutions and came up with this idea. Not new but definitely the least expensive option

Using this system here is a photo of the first glass out of a cornie using it. Clear as crystal :beer:
and this is where I bought the bits
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/beer-float- ... p-478.html
Coupled with a gas in tube instead of the long beer out tube by a 60 cm length of silicone courtesy of the Malt miller https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product ... -6-5mm-id/

The eagle eyed among you will notice that in the photo it shows a gas in post and not a beer out post which is obviously used when assembled. I just used the wrong post to take the photo. The short gas in tubes are available on AliExpress and I would advise using these as opposed to shortening the long one which are very difficult to find and it would make your cornie unsaleable.
All in all I am over the moon with this adaption.
That is condensation on the outside of the glass.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Re: serving bright beer from a cornie

Postby abeyptfc » Mon Aug 20, 2018 17:32

nice one, that looks like a mighty fine pint! none of the links you posted appear to work though!
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sat Feb 16, 2019 08:53

Interesting...

I'm considering going this route with my cornies...

The float : https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#beer-float-for-king-keg-and-balliihoo-premium-top-tap-pressure-barrels-p-478.html

the tubing : https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/platinum-cured-silicone-tube-6-5mm-id/

Short tubes : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Stainless-Steel-Dip-Tube-Gas-In-for-Homebrew-Draft-Beer-Cornelius-Corny-Keg/32650159113.html?spm=2114.search0204.8.18.12511b71C8dqFO

The search I used on Ali Express was 'cornelius short gas tube' if the link above doesn't work.

I might try this on a few of my cornies rather than all of them... can see the costs mounting up quickly :lol:
BigYin
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sat Feb 16, 2019 09:01

BigYin wrote:Interesting...

I'm considering going this route with my cornies...

The float : https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/#beer-float-for-king-keg-and-balliihoo-premium-top-tap-pressure-barrels-p-478.html

the tubing : https://www.themaltmiller.co.uk/product/platinum-cured-silicone-tube-6-5mm-id/

Short tubes : https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2pcs-Stainless-Steel-Dip-Tube-Gas-In-for-Homebrew-Draft-Beer-Cornelius-Corny-Keg/32650159113.html?spm=2114.search0204.8.18.12511b71C8dqFO

The search I used on Ali Express was 'cornelius short gas tube' if the link above doesn't work.

I might try this on a few of my cornies rather than all of them... can see the costs mounting up quickly :lol:

You cannot put a price on perfect beer :cheers: there are other more expensive options such as Cask Widget and the Fermentasaurus float device but this one works fine. It is cheaper to buy the short tubes in larger quantities. They are also available on Amazon.

INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby mickthetrick » Sat Feb 16, 2019 18:01

i think its a good idea and if you like bright beer its definitely the way to go.
mickthetrick
Brewer

Postby LeeH » Wed Feb 20, 2019 15:04

I think you have other issues as most people can serve perfectly bright beer from a keg without any flotation devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

To monitor my latest fermentation click here Black IPA
To view my new AG build click here
Keg 1: Berliner Weisse
Keg 2: APA
Keg 3: Stout (Nitro)
Keg 4: Empty
LeeH
Brewer

Postby Pakman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 21:31

LeeH wrote:I think you have other issues as most people can serve perfectly bright beer from a keg without any flotation devices.

I've done one cornie for dispensing so far. Had a little bit of cloudiness for the first half pint and the rest, consumed throughout the 7 day Xmas holiday was fine. Question - how long do you condition for before putting in the cornie. I tend to leave my brews in the FV for 14 days and then condition in a pressure barrel for another 14 before dropping into the cornie and then blanketing with CO2. Therefore my beer has virtually stopped fermenting when introduced into the cornie, maybe that makes a difference.
Called into the Home Brew Shop at Farnborough on my home from Hampshire today, picked up a 1 micron filter kit - going to try dry hopping with it as all previous attempts to dry hop always created a very cloudy beer.
Graham

If they say money cannot buy happiness - then explain motorcycles and beer! :thumb:
Pakman
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Fri Feb 22, 2019 08:26

LeeH wrote:I think you have other issues as most people can serve perfectly bright beer from a keg without any flotation devices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you naturally condition in a corny it is impossible to serve bright beer from the first glass any other way. That is unless you have never seen one or were schooled at St Dunstans. The only other way is to filter and force carbonate. Incidently I have been brewing for forty five years.

INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:04

I've got... er... 9 cornies (at the moment... bwa ha ha!) and several have slightly short dip tubes, while others have the dip tubes extending right to within a few mm of the bottom.

There's always going to be some sediment settling at the bottom of the cornie, unless you go through a bunch of additional steps before putting the beer in the cornie - and (for me!) that largely defeats one of the huge advantages of the cornie keg - convenience!

Anyway, each to their own on process etc.

I usually find the first half pint drawn from a cornie is just mud thanks to the sediment, but a pint or two later it's fine - so long as the cornie isn't getting moved around!

The ones I have with the slightly short dip tubes could well be the first in line for a float takeoff as they leave too much beer in the bottom of the cornie... and suddenly it's not about bright beer, but about not wasting any :lol:
BigYin
Brewer