Cleaning and storing hems kit.

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Cleaning and storing hems kit.

Postby iwoo » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:00

What is the best method for cleaning and storage of herms kit in between brews. As well as cleaning post storage. My kit includes stainless steel and solar pumps. Stainless steel valves and silicon hoses as x well as some brass bulkhead fittings on my igloo mash tun.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
iwoo
Brewer

Re: Cleaning and storing hems kit.

Postby jkp » Fri Jun 08, 2018 16:08

I think with most things it's going to be a regular 20min hot caustic cycle, with occasional acid wash. Then between uses make sure you get it dry. Ball valves, pumps and other fittings will all benefit from occasional disassembling and washing thoroughly. I've got long flexible brushes for cleaning the inside of silicone hoses and that works a treat.

jkp
Brewer

Postby iwoo » Mon Jun 11, 2018 15:17

Thanks for the information. What strength caustic and temperature are you using?

iwoo
Brewer

Postby PeeBee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 20:22

I'm going to disagree with regular hot caustic rinses. I'd restrict the hazardous (and if careless it is down-right dangerous) caustic business until its needed and then as a last resort. The vessels and pipework can just be rinsed well immediately after use. It doesn't need sterilising because it doesn't carry anything that wont get boiled. Restrict the sanitising/sterilising to the cooler and pipe handling post boil stuff.

And what I can't dry (like the HERMS coil) gets filled with water (especially copper and brass containing components to discourage Verdigris).

The important bit is not to neglect the rinses.
PeeBee
Brewer

Postby jkp » Tue Jun 19, 2018 01:54

Ok, I should have written caustic/pbw/oxiclean or whatever you use for removing organic matter. Even after rinsing with water until clear, you’ll be amazed at the colour that you get from cycling a cleaner through your pipework.

The acid wash is for removing inorganic buildup rather than sanitizing.

jkp
Brewer

Postby iwoo » Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:34

Thanks for the information.

iwoo
Brewer