Beer freezing in kegerator issue

Bottles, Kegs, Casks, Polypins or however you serve your brew.

Beer freezing in kegerator issue

Postby BigYin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 09:51

I adapted a chest freezer about 3 years ago into my kegerator - Through that time it has worked perfectly - through amazingly high temps in the conservatory (a thermometer broke when the temp in there reached over 50c!) - and through cold, cold winters.

I've got it set to keep the temp between 4c - 6c - then about a few weeks ago, I started having issues getting beer from one of the kegs. Dodgy tap I thought. Changed that. Blocked dip tube? Changed the disconnect and pushed CO2 through the tube - bubbled through fine. Eventually I took the kegs out and the nice sound as the frozen bases pulled of the bottom of the kegerator gave the problem away.

Confirmed after a day out of the kegerator, the beers is flowing fine now it's thawed. It was only the beer right at the very bottom that was freezing just enough to block the dip tube.

Why is it doing this? I'm not sure... the temp controller is the STC-1000 type, and the temp sensor reacts quickly if I hold it - temps climbs very quickly - so it works - although I haven't tested the sensor to see if it's lost its accuracy ...

Anyone else ever had this?

I could take the time to test the temp sensor.... I could just set the temp higher on the controller..... I could sit the kegs on some kind of mat to insulate them from the base.... :hmm:

Last edited by BigYin on Thu Apr 12, 2018 13:40, edited 1 time in total.
BigYin
Brewer

Re: Beer freezing in kegerator issue

Postby sledgehammer » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:27

if the beer temp is ok for you rather than start messing around with the temp setting i would insulate the bottom of the keg from the cold spot with something like a small thin piece of scrap ply and see what differance this makes if that works do something more permanent if not start looking at other parts of the system including the accurasy of the temp controller and the temp setting etc
sledgehammer
Brewer

Postby vacant » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:46

STC-1000 can be calibrated if it isn't reading 0C in water with ice cubes. My sensor is stuffed in a small block of celotex wedged between two kegs. Cold air will collect at the base if you don't have a small fan running to shift it (fan can be wired to run only when the compressor is on).

No idea why this should start happening now.

My future plans include not much
vacant
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Thu Apr 12, 2018 19:58

cheers guys :thumb:

I've put an old swimming kickboard under the kegs - about an inch of compressed foam - that should act as a good insulation layer :D

I'll see how that goes over the next few days :cheers:
BigYin
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Sun Apr 15, 2018 08:21

Attach the sensor to a bottle of water with electrical tape and place it on the shelf of the chest freezer. This will accurately monitor the temperature of all liquids in the keezer and prevent sudden changes due to opening the lid.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:58

Like that idea :thumb: Will act as a temperature buffer :geek:

So far so good with the insulation layer - no freezing issues yet :cheers:
BigYin
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:06

Yea that would be my advice too. I calibrate my thermometers every time I use them so 3 years isn't bad going!
robwalker
Brewer