reduce alcohol in turbo cider

Making wine, cider or something interesting, show us how you did it here.

reduce alcohol in turbo cider

Postby GaryG » Sat Mar 24, 2018 21:42

I have 2 turbo cider brews on, 1 lowicz raspberry and 1 blackcurrant. Both have 4.5 litres of apple juice and half small jar hone plus 1 with 400ml lowicz and the other ¾ litre squash. 1 is sitting at 10.5 and the other at 12.5 abv. I didn't add any sugar so I didn't think it would be this high. Should I just water it down prier to bottling, if so by how much to get the abv down to about 5-6 % without loosing flavour.

Thanks

Gary.

Gary

Mac enthusiast, Citroen C4 driver and now homebrew enthusiast.
GaryG
Brewer

Re: reduce alcohol in turbo cider

Postby robwalker » Sat Mar 24, 2018 21:55

I'm not surprised, that's a lot of fermentables in the honey and squash. I'd put them in wine bottles, let them age and crack them open when you don't have to get up in the morning! In the meantime, brew yourself some basic cider, it'll be ready fairly quickly and it's cheap.
I'd advise against water after fermentation, it'll likely leave a mineral taste and it's full of bugs and oxygen too. A better option would be supermarket carbonated water in the glass when you serve it. Costs about 20p for 2L.
robwalker
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sun Mar 25, 2018 01:56

The Lowicz in particular is loaded with sugar, it's always going to give rocketfuel
I agree, treat it as an apple wine. Anything that'd reduce the ABV would spoil it
oldbloke

Postby GaryG » Sun Mar 25, 2018 06:49

ill leave it bottled for a few month and drink it in the summer then. Was making it for my son as he likes dark fruits cider. I've been away from the home-brew for about 3 and a half years, this was my comeback cider along with the cheeky vimto.

Gary.

Gary

Mac enthusiast, Citroen C4 driver and now homebrew enthusiast.
GaryG
Brewer

Postby jkp » Thu Mar 29, 2018 02:13

For fruity cider you are much better going with frozen or fresh 100% fruit. Even some fruit puree will have added sugars so be careful with those too.

As an example, I've made a 20L batch of Cranberry cider using 1kg of whole frozen berries. They are pretty tart so it does need a little sweetening (I back-sweeten the keg), but the flavour is good, colour is pinkish and the alcohol stays low as the fruit doesn't really add any sugar.

jkp
Brewer