Winebuddy alternative

Discussions of interest about making wine, cider and other fermented beverages

Winebuddy alternative

Postby tonyhibbett » Sat Feb 24, 2018 14:50

My everyday white wine has been Winebuddy sauvignon blanc but as the price has increased to £25, I decided to make my own version. Ideally this would include fresh gooseberries but as none are available, I decided to use carton grapefruit and pineapple juice.
for 5 gallons:
1.5 Tesco value sultanas, minced
10 litres apple juice
2 litres grapefruit juice
1 litre pineapple juice
sugar and water to sg 1090

Due to low temperature, I used a 60 watt brew belt, which maintained 25 c. The initial pH was 4.1, so I added lots of tartaric acid to get this down, but even after 50g added the pH was 3.8. I checked the meter which was ok, so I did a titration test which gave 5.75 ppt (as tartaric), which is medium acidity for a dry white. After fermentation I used a standard dose of Young's finings which usually completes the job in 24 hours. Not so this time. Even after 7 days it had not cleared. I put his down to the grapefruit and pineapple juice, which are inherently cloudy. I racked and removed about a litre of sediment. After 24 hours, only about 40% was clear and the taste was thin and rather 'medicinal', which usually indicates acid deficiency.
On reflection, 3 kilos of sultanas, 5 litres of apple and just 1 litre of grapefruit would have been better.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Winebuddy alternative

Postby tonyhibbett » Sun Feb 25, 2018 15:09

Another 24 hours and the wine is now 60% clear. Although racking mixed the clear with the cloudy, it also expelled residual co2, helping the fining process. The medicinal flavour has now gone.
tonyhibbett
Brewer

Re: Winebuddy alternative

Postby tonyhibbett » Tue Feb 27, 2018 15:40

Not quite crystal clear yet but good enough to transfer to a polypin in which clearing will continue. The pH is 3.7 but the taste is still quite austere, with grapefruit still dominating. The bin had to be scrubbed to remove the tartrate crystals which always form with the late addition of tartaric acid.
tonyhibbett
Brewer