Father forgive me

Want someone to critique one of your recipes? post it here. Want a recipe for a particular style, ask here.

Father forgive me

Postby Brewzee » Sun Nov 12, 2017 09:39

Father forgive me. For I made lager.
It wasn’t supposed to happen, I had my regular pale ale wort almost at a boil and I was mooching through the freezer because I had a lot of hops after brewing Brew dog's Punk old and new recipe IPA. I was weighing out some Crystal-hops and something went from hop to brain and made me act funny, the hop said make me into lager, so I did. Lots of Bramlings X and Crystal at 60 then Chinook, Ahtanum and more Crystal at 5. The large amount of hops filtered out all the hot break leaving lovely clear wort at OG 1035 with about 40 IBUs. Then the crazy part, for me anyway, M54 Californian lager yeast, Mangrove Jacks. I've never used it before, don't like lager as a rule and don't like 34/70 at all because in bottle conditioned beer it creates floaters. M54 better stick to the bottom of the bottle like its in a centrifuge. I expect great things from their high flocculation claims. Pitched dry into warm wort as it cooled its doing something after 24 hrs but no krausen as its all happening down below, I don't use an airlock so cant tell with accuracy. Temp wise I'm treating it same as my ales 15-18 this time of year, a 1035 on Notty would run through in a week. I'm in two minds about dry hopping, I've dry hopped Falconers Flight pellets into a lager before and was under whelmed by its hoppiness after the time it needed to spend in the bottle. This yeast might be quicker, lets see. I quite fancy trying Chinook and Ahtanum as a dry hop.
And it turns out that Crystal is an artificially induced tetraploid of a Hallertau. So it would say make me into lager wouldn't it.
Brewzee
Brewer

Re: Father forgive me

Postby DaveS » Mon Nov 13, 2017 22:35

There's a school of thought that says that "lager" is defined by the lagering process, ie cold-conditioning, rather than by the use of lager yeast. So maybe if you keep it at cellar temperature and avoid Bavarian ice-caves then you'll still be technically on the straight and narrow?
DaveS
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 06:46

Thanks for the comment Dave, for me the lager taste is defined by the malt and the yeast. The former is made in a way that has a slightly sweet taste to my mind, I dont like it and avoid it. Lager yeast produces a beer without all the esters (or whatever tastes) of an Ale yeast, its a very flat taste but with a few added sulpherous tones. Its these tones that need removing by lagering. So I kind of agree with you but also point out that no mater how long you lager an ale it aint gonna taste like lager. Most lagers are not big on hop aroma either due to long periods of hanging about in caves so the nobility of the hop used is not such a defineing ingrediant in my mind but it is what led me down this path of M54 because I wanted to see if it will speed up the whole process and allow the hop aroma to remain. More in a couple of weeks I guess.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby rui » Tue Jan 23, 2018 16:10

How did this turned out?

cheers

Planning:
FV1: AG# 80 Golden Ale
FV2: AG# 81 Oatmeal Stout
FV3:
keg1: Raspberry Tripel
keg2: Hibiscus Saison
Keg3: APA
bottled and conditioning:
drinking: Porter
Barril de carvalho francês (French oak barrel) fermention stage: 250L of rose wine
rui
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Tue Jan 23, 2018 22:31

All drunk, I should have waited longer it was getting better by the day. The yeast worked through clean and compacted well in the bottle. I didn't measure FG but it was a lot drier than a saf05. So yeast wise it all worked and I will brew with it again. Something went a bit wrong with the hops to much Chinook maybe I got a real resinous bite to it, it was going down and if I'd waited longer it could have mellowed into something great....one to try again and get better at but not the fast lager I expected.
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby abeyptfc » Tue Jan 23, 2018 23:38

possibly the wrong hops or too much hops for a lager, chinook and ahtanum are big resinous juicy hops so might have been better going for a lower amount or a saaz or something a bit mellower! anyways it’s all done so it must have been good!
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby rui » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36

I used this yeast several times, specially in my house stout, an american stout, that its creamy, tasty and everyone likes it.

At the moment i have a golden ale fermenting with this yeast at 16ºC. I measured the gravity, tasted nice and clean!! Saturday i will keg it.

https://imgur.com/yB4F1o9

https://imgur.com/9f1tpzn

Cheers

Planning:
FV1: AG# 80 Golden Ale
FV2: AG# 81 Oatmeal Stout
FV3:
keg1: Raspberry Tripel
keg2: Hibiscus Saison
Keg3: APA
bottled and conditioning:
drinking: Porter
Barril de carvalho francês (French oak barrel) fermention stage: 250L of rose wine
rui
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Wed Jan 24, 2018 22:15

Yes I'm going to use it again and get the hops right, maybe less Chinook or wait longer for every thing to settle.
Brewzee
Brewer