Doing a whole fermentor full of high alcohol.

Trying to get the maximum from your yeast, this is the place to discuss it. Talk about the concentration of alcohol by any means will be removed

Doing a whole fermentor full of high alcohol.

Postby ericmark » Fri Aug 12, 2016 23:48

I was considering doing a whole fermentor full of high alcohol then at final stage split into 6 demijohns and add a different flavour to each. My local brew shop tells me he has all the flavours, yeast nutrient, charcoal, and finning required.

But quantities is the question. I have looked at two kits, Fermentation Technologies Orange Brandy, and Ritchie Products Prohibition range, one measures out water and sugar the other adds water to sugar. So going from their kits I am assuming to 8 kilograms of sugar I would need 18.5 litres of water or top up with water to the 23.5 litre mark?

This should, if I get it right, result in all the sugar being used, and I end up with some where near 20% ABV with a hydrometer reading of below unity? The Prohibition kits state 0.990.

I would have to use temperature control, it will produce heat which will need removing, I have a freezer set up with a STC-1000 so that should not be a problem. But rate of fermentation with the Fermentation Technologies was not that high, but with the Ritchie Products kit it went like an express train, and I don't really know what the result will be in a fermentor with 6 times the amount to a demijohn. Can't use an air lock, normally have a rubber bung loosely in the 25mm diameter hole as freezer hight not enough to fit air lock, and with most brews once the main fermentation is complete and in the clean up stage then moved from freezer to fridge compartment where I only have heating no cooling.

So two questions, one have I got quantities about right? and two what will the likely reaction be, will a standard fermentor Youngs with screw lid rated as 25 litre be large enough to do a batch filled to 23.5 litre mark. Although rated as 25 litre I would think from dimensions it would likely hold 32 litres.

Has anyone done a fermentor full? If so how did it go.
ericmark
Brewer

Re: Doing a whole fermentor full of high alcohol.

Postby Moley » Sat Aug 13, 2016 08:37

Your maths is about right, sugar bulking is half a pint per pound or around 600ml per kilo, so 8kg of sugar would increase volume by 4.8 litres.

And those screw topped fermenters hold 30 litres to the base of the neck, but are a bugger to lift from floor to worktop when filled to capacity.
Moley

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:52

Just out of interest-have you ever tried making a high alcohol wash before? I would recommend a small batch first to see if you enjoy the end product.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby BIGJIM72 » Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:58

My experiences with a wash

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=893

Didn't even bother to post about the Prohibition kit I did-same result.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sat Aug 13, 2016 15:52

I have done 4 high alcohol kits, it seems the main thing is time. They take far longer than the instructions say to do every stage, doubling the time it worked quite well, the time with charcoal was around 10 times the time said with instructions, around 5 days swirling it around, then 10 days to settle.

I tried doing one and adding instant coffee, that did not work, I note after some time there is a black layer on the bottom and some part of the instant coffee has settled out, using the liquid provided with the coffee kit however, it tasted like tia maria.

There are two ideas going through my head. One buy the proper flavours which it seems are stocked in local brew shop, and two brew beer with no sugar added then add some of the alcohol produced and cleaned with charcoal instead of adding sugar directly into the brew at start so 8 kg makes 23.5 litres, so 1 kg of sugar is in 3 litres, so make the kit with 19 litres of water then add 3 litres of cleaned alcohol made with just sugar and yeast nutrient. In my mind with the nasty bits removed this should taste better than simply adding sugar to the wort?

I can see point in adding some thing which adds wanted flavours, honey, sprayed malt, treacle etc. But why add something which adds unwanted flavours like sugar? Or pay a fortune for special sugars to increase ABV if you can use cheap ones?
ericmark
Brewer