Hopfen Weizenbier

Belgian Beers, Saisons, Wheat beers, Bierre de garde, Sour beers, Fruit Beers etc

Hopfen Weizenbier

Postby Theakston Tickler » Sun Apr 20, 2014 14:54

To celebrate the recent arrival of a 25kg sack of Weyermann light wheat malt and as a bit of a clear out of some of my hops I recently brewed a strong, hoppy Bavarian wheat beer. I've just bottled it and this is the happiest I have been with a beer straight from the FV. Recipe as follows:

4.0kg Weyermann Pale Wheat Malt
2.5kg Dingeman Pale Ale Malt
0.3kg Weyermann Melanoidin Malt
10g Target hops - 90 mins
50g Spalt hops - 90 mins
38g Hersbrucker - 20 mins
WLP380
Mash for 20 mins at 45c, 30 mins at 63c and 40 mins at 70c.
OG at 1063 and IBUs 49 according to Brewmate but probably a bit less as only the Target were fresh, the others had been re-sealed in the freezer for a few months. The yeast seemed to give up at 1020 but that's still plenty strong enough at 5.8% with priming sugar.

The beer had a huge banana nose but the hops cut right through it when tasted to give a smooth sweet but bitter finish which I really was happy with. I've seen some of the US brewers doing Hopfen Weizenbier using their more much assertive hops but hadn't seen one using German.

Has anyone done a similar brew or did the mad professor just get lucky with an experiment?
Theakston Tickler
Brewer

Re: Hopfen Weizenbier

Postby robwalker » Sun Apr 20, 2014 15:22

schneider weisse make one - Meine Hopfenweisse. It's one of the best beers I've ever tasted!

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schneider- ... sse/75466/

It uses Crystal hops I think. I much preferred it to the US hopped wheat beers which were a bit overdramatic imo.
robwalker
Brewer