Plum wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Plum wine

Postby oldbloke » Sun Jul 13, 2014 20:18

Spotted a couple of kilo punnets of plums reduced to a quid in Tesco, thought it'd be rude not to, so started a plum wine today.
Reminded me I don't think my recipe is on here...

I've had some good plum with fruit from local trees, not sure exactly which variety, but the yellowy ones rather than the red/purple ones.
It goes more or less like this, per gallon:
Stone 4lb(ish) of plums and halve or quarter them
Bung them in a bucket with a crushed Campden, 75g(ish) of chopped raisind, 2 cloves, 5g or so finely sliced root ginger, half to 1 tsp acid (I like a citric/tartaric mix), half a pound of sugar, and boiled water to make up to a bit less than a gallon.
My original recipe says to pour boiling water over, but that's just asking for trouble from the pectin, so today I used recently-boiled water.
When it's cooled a bit, a generous tsp pectolase.
Leave to do the flavour extraction for 3 days to a week, stirring occasionally
Strain onto the rest of the sugar - my notes says 2lbs, but I may first do some sanity checks on the ABV this time
My notes say bring this to the boil, or nearly, but again that's just asking for pectin trouble, and I'm not clear what it's supposed to do apart from make the sugar easier to dissolve, so a little gentle warmign for that will do this year.
Once cool enough, pitch yeast and add nutrient, ferment until done, rack onto stabiliser.
Finings may be needed.
This wine tends to need a bit of time for a slight bitterness to fade, but is then gorgeous.
oldbloke

Re: Plum wine

Postby mark1964 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 20:43

sounds lovely i may have a bash with some damsons back end :thumb:

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Sun Jul 13, 2014 20:55

Plums also make an interesting liqueur, make as you would sloe gin. I used rum and it was gorgeous :thumb:

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Jul 14, 2014 00:19

Frogfurlong wrote:Plums also make an interesting liqueur, make as you would sloe gin. I used rum and it was gorgeous :thumb:

We've done plum rum too. I think plums might suit vodka as well. Not a big fan of gin, but we have sloes in the back hedge and sloe gin is nice.
oldbloke

Postby Pedro » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:31

Round my way the cherry plums are nearly ready for picking and the crops on them are huge this year (the rainy but mild spring). I'll be giving this a go with my foraged bounty!

----------------------------------------
Foraging for free booze and food
Pedro
Brewer

Postby Quensabob » Sat Jul 19, 2014 17:13

Just started a gallon of this it was hard not eating the plums my favourite fruit!!
Quensabob
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Sat Jul 19, 2014 21:48

I went a bit weird and pitched half the yeast in the bucket, thinking fermenting on the pulp might get more colour/flavour and keep out any other microorganisms, then today strained it onto 900g sugar and pitched the rest of the yeast. Left a pint of headspace (it's in a pint pot in the fridge) and the damn stuff just started escaping about 30 minutes ago. Oh well. Not the first time, won't be the last.
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:06

Just got my plum wine on the go. Hopefully it will not be quite as messy as the Blackberry was to strain!
Kermie
Brewer

Postby godfrey » Sat Sep 20, 2014 13:47

mother-in-law told me that you get a better plum flavour if you leave the stones....

obviously if you have frozen the fruit to help juice extraction
then you also have a chance of broken stones
and as I recall that is not good

debate on stones commence.....
godfrey
Brewer

Postby Robbo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 20:02

I would like to think a plum stone is the same as a seed of a grape, but when I make peach or nectarine wine I always remove the stone before freezing as it is more easily to prepare for fermentation.
Robbo
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Tue Sep 23, 2014 21:38

Moving the plum wine (stones removed before freezing) from the bucket to a DJ Friday having removed the squidgy plums and raisins. When I put it in the DJ having warmed with the sugar should I just top up with water and adding the yeast /nutrient? Should I leave it a few days to let the initial fermention to finish then top up?
Kermie
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Sep 23, 2014 21:54

Give it a few days before fully topping up.
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 06:55

Great, thanks :thumb:
Kermie
Brewer

Postby sam s » Wed Sep 24, 2014 21:41

hi old bloke, were you on a forum not so long back, where some americans took over,
shame about that, I have a few spare demijohns,and would like to make some plum wine,
would you be so kind to give us a detailed account on how to make this,
as I have only done kit wine,
thanks sam.
sam s
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Thu Sep 25, 2014 09:36

Yes, used to be on another forum, most of the admins and mods here were admins and mods there, once. Life, eh? Water under the bridge now.

Rough instructions are in 1st post of thread, but here's /exactly/ what I've done this year. Mind you not much of it is critical, you can alter things a fair bit and still get good wine.

2014-07-13
4lbs plums halved and stoned; 75g raisins chopped; crushed campden tablet; ~15g root ginger, thinly sliced; 2 cloves; 1/4tsp citric; ; 1/4tsp tartaric; 1/2lb sugar; 1.7l boiled water
Left an hour or so; 1l boiled water; Left to cool; 2tsp(ish) pectolase
2014-07-15
Pitched half pack GV5, tsp nutrient
2014-07-19
Sieved to demi, mixed with 909gm sugar on the way. Pulp mashed and sparged; Rest of yeast sachet and more nutrient
2014-09-10
Racked onto stabiliser and extra pectolase

Even after the stabiliser this was managing to push out the odd bubble. It seems to have finished now but isn't properly clear yet. I might just leave it, or I might whack some finings in.
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 13:05

When I first transferred my plum wine to the DJ's it was a lovely, well, plum colour. 24 hours later it was a kind peach colour. Is this normal? I was rather disappointed really...
Kermie
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Oct 06, 2014 14:22

It'll end up some sort of yellow whatever you started with, usually quite pale
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Tue Oct 07, 2014 13:24

ok, thanks
Kermie
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29

Going to try this this weekend i think!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kermie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 07:24

My Plum wine has been in the DJ's since 26/9 and still gives the occasional bubble. Should I rack it off into another DJ for a month before transferring to yet another DJ and stabilising or should I just leave it where it is for another couple of weeks? Or, 3rd option is it ready to be stabilsed now? :hmm:
Kermie
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Mon Oct 20, 2014 09:18

Ideally, take a gravity reading to see if it's finished. If it is, rack onto stabiliser, leave to clear. It's not had a month yet though so I doubt it's fully done. I'd just leave it at least another week, probably 3.
oldbloke

Postby Kermie » Mon Oct 20, 2014 13:04

ok cheers
Kermie
Brewer

Postby steveandtina » Sun Oct 26, 2014 23:33

I too am doing some plum wine would any one recommend coloured glass for bottling or will clear be ok
steveandtina
Brewer

Postby Crastney » Mon Oct 27, 2014 13:10

clear will be ok if the bottles are stored in a cupboard, or under the stairs, or somewhere dark and out of direct sunlight.
You don't get skunking from sunlight in wine, but if left in direct sun, the colour will fade over time - which is why green glass bottles are generally prefered for red wines. White wines do not suffer this, hence why they're mostly in clear bottles.

Global average carbon emissions - one ton per person per year.
Current emissions in UK – 9 tons per person per year!
Eight million tons of plastic dumped into the oceans. Every year!
Crastney
Brewer

Postby Kermie » Sat Nov 22, 2014 17:31

Plum wine has been stabilised and is now clear. Should I leave it a month or so in the DJ to mature or bottle straight away? It is currently in the bathroom ( coldest place in my flat) as I don't have anywhere dark to leave it.
Kermie
Brewer

Next