Fermentation temp control

Postby RidleyRumpus » Wed Feb 06, 2019 15:43

I have built a fermentation fridge, which is great for 5 gallons but now I am planning on brewing bigger batches the fermentation vessel will not fit inside.

I have bought s/h a conical fermenter that I thought would fit into a tall larder fridge but is ever so slightly too deep for the fridge. Now I could try to hack away at the fridges insulation but I am not sure that that would work.

I have looked at some of the commercial display type fridges and some of those look like internally they are big enough but invariably come with a light box on top that makes them too tall to fit into the room I have available.

So what are my alternatives? What do other people do?
RidleyRumpus
Brewer

Re: Fermentation temp control

Postby Oldstunty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 21:38

There are some youtube vids with people building cupboards around the fridge.
I'll have a quick look and post a link.

Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Wed Feb 06, 2019 21:41

As promised :thumb:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9PdCOMoGWs
There are a few more, I just searched for fermentation chamber.
Cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby BigYin » Mon Feb 11, 2019 22:51

RidleyRumpus wrote:
I have bought s/h a conical fermenter that I thought would fit into a tall larder fridge but is ever so slightly too deep for the fridge. Now I could try to hack away at the fridges insulation but I am not sure that that would work.

My 65 litre plastic fermenter was slightly too deep for my tall larder fridge - until that is, I realised I could just cut away some of the shelf fittings inside the door - Once cut, I painted the exposed insulation with a gloss paint to seal it and stop it getting damp, and jobs a good 'un :D

Other adaption was to use ALL the metal shelves together to support the fermenter, and built a frame to support the front of the shelves to make sure it couldn't tip out.
BigYin
Brewer

Postby Yellow_13 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 18:04

Since you guys are talking about fermentation temperatures, I was wondering: I was planning to buy this house in Corfu for the holidays, there's one storeroom in which I can do my mad scientist experiments, but ... will it be worth it? Since the weather's dry and hot, especially compared to Belgium (which has pretty much the same weather as the British Isles: 400 days of rain per year), how should I insulate the room so that I can brew beer in there? Which temperatures should I be keeping? Not to mention that I was looking at trying, in the long run, to grow some grapes and do wine as well there.
Yellow_13
Brewer