automatic equipment

Postby pdantas » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:35

Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an automatic brew kettle, but am having trouble deciding which one is best. My guidelines are:
- volume between 30~50l (ideally capable of producing both volumes)
- available in Europe
- sturdy (it won't be used only by me but also by other people)
- easy to use
Just to give some more context, it will be used in a brewing club, so the need to be sturdy and easy to use. I'm an experienced homebrewer but have always used manual vessels, the only automatic equipment I've ever been close to has been a braumeister once.
Vendors I'm looking at currently includes braumeister, grainfather, brewmonk. Any considerations? Cost is not a big issue at this point.

Thanks!

Pedro
pdantas
Brewer

Re: automatic equipment

Postby Jeltz » Tue Mar 13, 2018 18:56

I have the original Braumeister. It works well for me and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

Regards Nic
Jeltz
Admin

Postby HTH1975 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 19:16

Why automatic equipment for a brew club? - surely half the fun is the brewing process.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 105L brewed (need to update this figure)
Drinking: Landlord clone
Conditioning: ciders from 2016, hedgerow barrolo, 1914 Courage RIS (10%).
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby Steviebobs1983 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 21:46

I have a grainfather and whilst it has its flaws, I would still recommend for ease of use.

Pros:
• Wort chiller is top notch, you can practically pump straight from boiling into your FV and pitch within 10 mins depending on your ground water temp.
• Very easy to control temps for stepped mashes etc.
• Recirculation makes it very efficient (>80%) meaning you can mash big and liquor back to get your 50litres if needs be.
• Easy to clean

Cons:
• Hop filter can get knocked off during the boil which can end up blocking the pump
• Silicone seals on the mash basket are an absolute bastard to stay on while pushing down onto the grain.
• Trip switch is underneath the whole device, meaning if it trips (mine did when some sugar clagged to the bottom) you need to tip 30litres of hot wort to get to it.

There's probably more if I thought longer. If you end up buying one, look around for tips on making brewdays easier. There's a few little things that can save loads of time that you might not think about straight away.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Steviebobs1983
Brewer

Postby INDIAPALEALE » Mon Mar 19, 2018 08:27

If you are looking at 30-50 litre brewlengths I suggest a 50 litre Braumeister plus the optional 25 litre malt pipe. I have been using one for eight years.

"You're not drunk if you can lie on the floor without holding on." Dean Martin
INDIAPALEALE
Brewer

Postby Hardboil » Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:20

pdantas wrote:Hi guys,

I'm looking to buy an automatic brew kettle, but am having trouble deciding which one is best. My guidelines are:
- volume between 30~50l (ideally capable of producing both volumes)
- available in Europe
- sturdy (it won't be used only by me but also by other people)
- easy to use
Just to give some more context, it will be used in a brewing club, so the need to be sturdy and easy to use. I'm an experienced homebrewer but have always used manual vessels, the only automatic equipment I've ever been close to has been a braumeister once.
Vendors I'm looking at currently includes braumeister, grainfather, brewmonk. Any considerations? Cost is not a big issue at this point.

Thanks!

Pedro

Angel HB have just started stocking something (Brew Devil) that looks like a Ace, Klarstein, King's, Brew Devil, Guten, Hopcat and Arsegan, which I'm pretty sure are the same base unit.

If you are looking to order a bunch you could go straight to the maker in China (says 50 minimum order, but they might cut you a smaller batch)? alibaba /product-detail/-GUTEN-Home-Brewing-Equipment-30L_60568425025.html?spm=a2700.7724838.2017115.76.3c93b095yaYO4j
Hardboil
Brewer

Postby Brewzee » Tue Mar 27, 2018 08:27

I'm thinking of going automatic myself main worry is about all the bits and bobs involved and if they get clogged up. I sparge now with a plastic jug and some tin foil, 2 batches, simples. I get to taste the first and last runnings to see how it's going and I'm part of the process. However the idea of switching on something and going off for a bike ride does sound appealing. What happens if you are late back, does it just sit there waiting, 50 liters would mean half as many brew days, less time on my hobby less smell in the kitchen is that good or bad ? Last question. .what's the washing up of all those bits like right now I just rinse a false bottom a boiler and a tun
Brewzee
Brewer

Postby John86045 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11

thanks
John86045
Brewer