[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Mash PH

Mash PH

While Beer is 90-97% water, it is a very tricky subject.

Mash PH

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 14:02

Hi,
I should be grateful for some advice on my water profile, and especially in reducing my Mash PH. I usually have a start water PH of 7.2 (average), and what I am finding is even when using Brun Water and adding normal adjustment of: Gypsum, Epsom salt and Calcium chloride to try and have a predicted PH target of say 5.4, I often find that my actual PH is 5.6 to 5.7. I do use a PH Meter to test my PH.

I also carry out an alkalinity test using a Salifest kit before each brew and my total alkalinity as CaCO3, mg/L averages out at 11. This is always only one point (up or down on the brew day). This is backed up with a full Water report from Wallybrew, which indicated my total alkalinity as CaCO3, mg/L 11.

Though, I appreciate that a Mash PH of 5.7 is still within acceptable parameter, but what I am finding is my pre-boil SG is lower than predicted and missing my targets.

The one thing that I have not tried is to add any acid additions, and therefore would you recommend that I use an acid addition, and if so which type of acid type of acid such as: CRS, Phosphoric, Hydrochloric etc?

Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Re: Mash PH

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 16:25

I know very little about the subject but I'm trying to learn at the momebt. Was your mash sample at room temp or actual temp? I believe this makes a difference...
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 17:05

Yes, I did take a reading at room temperature, and like you I am trying to learn with the aim of being able to find a way of adjusting things as and when needed? Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby pittsy » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:22

Crs is the standard go to acid and is easy to use other methods include acid malt and lactic acid liquid . All will do the job and easily lower the mash to 5.3/5.4 without there being a taste issue .

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
pittsy
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:41

CRS is very useful as is lactic acid. CRS is good because it's a known %. Lactic can be different and not always accurately labelled I have found.

I made a super simple water calculator if anyone is interested. It's basic but it's a step in the right direction..

http://185.116.213.24/~demotester/brewing/crs/
NickW
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:42

Thanks. Is it best to add CRS or other acid to HLT or direct in the Mash Tun?
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby NickW » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:45

Into the HLT
NickW
Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 19:46

Brilliant, Thanks.
Kloorob
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Sun Feb 05, 2017 20:25

With a pre treatment alkalinity of 11, you will not need to add acid at all, it's a read herring so ignore it

I'm going to assume you are talking about a pale grist with little coloured or crystal malts (or low colour ones). In this case, and with a liquor that basically contains nothing at all (From your indicated alkalinity reading, calcium is extremely likely to be low), I would suggest ignoring any suggestions from Brun'Water, aim for around 125-150mg/l addition of calcium, and for a pale ale a sulphate to chloride ratio of around 2:1 in the mash liquor. This will give you a pH of around 5.4 to 5.5 in a pale malt grist.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kloorob » Sun Feb 05, 2017 21:09

Thanks, Aleman. Yes I generally brew pale ales, and my Calcium is reported to be 13.6
Kloorob
Brewer