Corny Kegs

Postby Anneon » Wed Aug 10, 2016 15:06

Anyone got a supplier of reasonably priced used/new cornies?
I managed to destroy one of mine by leaving beer line cleaner in it too long.
Anneon
Brewer

Re: Corny Kegs

Postby robwalker » Wed Aug 10, 2016 15:22

Whoops! Thehomebrewcompany are very cheap if you don't mind cleaning them out. Otherwise try keg kingdom, they don't seem competitive but everything is well priced
robwalker
Brewer

Postby rlemkin » Wed Aug 10, 2016 15:45

robwalker wrote:Whoops! Thehomebrewcompany are very cheap if you don't mind cleaning them out. Otherwise try keg kingdom, they don't seem competitive but everything is well priced

I've got some of from thehomebrewcompany. Not actually done anything with them yet though :doh:, but I have heard good reports from those that have.
rlemkin
Brewer

Postby abeyptfc » Wed Aug 10, 2016 19:30

yeah thehomebrewcompany probs have the cheapest, £36 for one or three for £99, I bought two last year and have just bought another three last week, just give hemma good soak or two in hot water and a few scoops of oxy action.
abeyptfc
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:47

New genuine AEB brand cornies are available for around £80 from the malt miller. Quite a bit £more than the used ones obviously, but decades less wear and tear than many used ones too if the budget stretches.

Kev
Kev888
Brewer

Postby orlando » Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:33

Kev888 wrote:New genuine AEB brand cornies are available for around £80 from the malt miller. Quite a bit £more than the used ones obviously, but decades less wear and tear than many used ones too if the budget stretches.

If you're prepared to stretch to that I would go for a 23 litre cornie as this is closer to a typical batch.

I am "The Little Red Brooster"

Fermenting: Fields Of Gold
Conditioning: Golden Brown, St. Petersburg (RIS)
Drinking: West Coast, Better Than Revenge (Nelson's Revenge Clone),
Up Next:
Planning: Winter drinking beer.
orlando
Brewer

Postby AltonAnt » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:30

orlando wrote:If you're prepared to stretch to that I would go for a 23 litre cornie as this is closer to a typical batch.

I spoke to the owner in that shop regarding those 23l cornies and there have been issues with QC.
They aren't anywhere close to the AEB ones yet but no worse than the 2nd hand ones.
AltonAnt
Brewer

Postby kev » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:40

Some of my cornies are from the '70's. I think you'll be fine with second hand.

New seals and you're sorted.

K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kev
Brewer

Postby Maysie » Fri Aug 12, 2016 11:56

I had 5 used ones from The Home Brew Company. I gave them a good clean up and put new seals on everything except the poppets and they are fine. They are a bit bruised, but are perfectly useable.
Maysie
Brewer

Postby Kev888 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 12:15

Many of mine were from the 70s too. I had a couple of dozen at one point so probably had chance to see a range of the defects that can creep in.

The problems were mainly with old/worn/hardened seals, O-rings are quite cheap although in many cases it meant replacing the poppet and/or PRV too. And quite a few had picked up enough bashes over the years that the necks were less true than they could have been, and or were not paired with their original lids, so getting them to seal at very low pressure was near impossible even after refurbishment.

So it depends on how lucky you are - if you get a good used one, maybe just needing a new o-ring or two, then you're onto a real winner. But if sorting it out adds the cost of new poppets and PRVs and/or if it still has a less reliable seal then the new ones can start to look like a better move IMO.

(TBH I'd go for new 20L sankeys these days, if they were ever in stock anyway, but thats a different discussion).

Kev
Kev888
Brewer