A nice mixed berry wine

Made a great wine or cider post the recipe here, want critique of a recipe, post it here

Re: A nice mixed berry wine

Postby gregles » Tue May 10, 2016 20:47

Topped the two demijohns up with ashbeck last night and it was only after I had stuck the air locks on that a thought came into my head that oldbloke had said leave some head space in case the fermentation kicks off big time :doh:

Yup - a rather vigorous fermentation resulted in a hasty tidy up before the Mrs noticed the mess in my wardrobe :oops: Lesson learned :whistle:
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue May 10, 2016 21:24

I still do it now, occasionally. So I always have a few layers of newspaper under the demijohns.
Rinse the locks through asap or they can get grungy and stuff will grow in them, then you have a tedious job getting them clean with an oxi cleanser
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Tue May 10, 2016 21:30

The demijohns are sitting in a tray now just in case. I poured a little out of each before replacing the cleaned, sanitised air locks and bungs so hopefully all will be okay :thumb:
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Tue Jun 07, 2016 20:42

Racked these onto a crushed campden and wilkos stabiliser. Is this too much sulphite?
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Tue Jun 07, 2016 23:56

I dunno what's in Wilko's stabiliser. If it's just sorbate, you needed the Campden. If it includes sulphites, you didn't need it but it won't hurt - just give it time for the sulphites to become SO2 and gas out. You might need to let the wine breathe a bit when you serve if too much of the sulphites don't do that before bottling.
oldbloke

Postby gregles » Mon Jun 27, 2016 20:18

Bottled this tonight and got eleven very full bottles of a very promising wine
gregles
Brewer

Postby gregles » Tue Aug 30, 2016 23:13

oldbloke wrote:[retrieved from the old place]
Ok, had a bottle of this with the Sunday roast and decided it's good enough to share the recipe.
NB It was bottled in March 2012, pretty much 21 months ago. It was always OK but that time has really brought it on.

1238g raspberries, 443g blackberries, 344g blackcurrants.
Thawed into large SS pan with Campden, 1lb sugar, 1l boiled water, pectolase.
Mashed gently when thawed. Transferred to fermenting bucket.
After 2 days pitched rehydrated Gervin GV2; tsp nutrient.
After 3 more days, strained onto 1.5lb sugar in demi
Racked after 6 weeks.
About 8 days later, bottled with sulphite.
Taste good, slight rawness.
Soon improved to very pleasant.
After 21 months in bottle, very good.

Would there be any advantage to doing this with red grape juice?
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 00:01

Well, it's a "country wine", made with Real Ingredients (barring the sugar, obv), but if you wanted to sub grape juice for some or all of the water it couldn't hurt. It just wouldn't be "wine made from the stuff in my garden" anymore
oldbloke

Postby secla » Wed Aug 31, 2016 00:02

Can i ask why you dont add all the sugar at once and why you dont add yeast to demijohns ?

my wifes just started making some blackberry wine and the recipe she has mashs blackberrys with boiling water, leave for a day, disolve sugar in rest of water and add to the mix then strain to demis and add yeast
secla
Brewer

Postby gregles » Wed Aug 31, 2016 00:07

oldbloke wrote:Well, it's a "country wine", made with Real Ingredients (barring the sugar, obv), but if you wanted to sub grape juice for some or all of the water it couldn't hurt. It just wouldn't be "wine made from the stuff in my garden" anymore

It was just a thought. I saw some red grape juice in lidl at the weekend and thought "added wineiness"" :D
gregles
Brewer

Postby oldbloke » Wed Aug 31, 2016 01:26

secla wrote:Can i ask why you dont add all the sugar at once and why you dont add yeast to demijohns ?

my wifes just started making some blackberry wine and the recipe she has mashs blackberrys with boiling water, leave for a day, disolve sugar in rest of water and add to the mix then strain to demis and add yeast

These days I often do add all the sugar at the beginning. I'm not sure how much difference it makes, but if the volume in the bucket is low adding all the sugar makes a pretty thick solution, and some yeasts (I believe) don't like too high a sugar concentration.

I don't add yeast to the demi coz it all went in the bucket. It doesn't get lost when the stuff is sieved to demi. I like to ferment "on the pulp" for a few days before the transfer.
oldbloke

Previous