Hello there having abit of trouble please help me

Trying to get the maximum from your yeast, this is the place to discuss it. Talk about the concentration of alcohol by any means will be removed

Hello there having abit of trouble please help me

Postby Joshmadden180793 » Fri Apr 15, 2016 19:09

Hi there people i made. Odka before turned our perfect so i bought same kit again started doing it and the vodka has gone really thick what do this mean please help me :/ i can email u a vid of how thick it is just need some body to help me isit fermenting properly i jave followed the instructions it did leak a few times but it really thicknplease help me
Joshmadden180793
Brewer

Re: Hello there having abit of trouble please help me

Postby 5hats » Fri Apr 15, 2016 19:27

It's difficult to diagnose anything over the internet but your booze sounds like it has a pediococcus infection and has gone ropy.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Pedioco ... ck.22_Beer

Does it taste sour?
5hats
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sat Aug 13, 2016 23:21

Bit late I know, but I would say yeast has not worked, I would try racking into a clean demijohn then adding another yeast.
ericmark
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sun Aug 14, 2016 02:39

thick isnt a description you hear regularly about a brew.. the 2 tools used usually to help determine progress of a brew are a hydrometer and taste buds.

a 'thick' liquid may not provide a reliable hydrometer reading and if outside expected values you can safely assume its gone way bad.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby ericmark » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:30

PhatFil wrote:thick isnt a description you hear regularly about a brew.. the 2 tools used usually to help determine progress of a brew are a hydrometer and taste buds.

a 'thick' liquid may not provide a reliable hydrometer reading and if outside expected values you can safely assume its gone way bad.

With normal brewing I would agree. But for high alcohol you are putting 8 kg of sugar into a standard fermentor to make 22.5 litres of alcohol and the standard method is to add sugar bit at a time rather than all together. So if the yeast is not fermenting the mixture then it does become rather a viscous liquid. Another word for viscous I suppose could be thick! The start s.g. reading if all sugar is added together would be somewhere around 1.150 which I would call viscous and some may call it thick.
ericmark
Brewer