[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Greene King Abbot Ale

Greene King Abbot Ale

IPA, Pale Ales And Bitters, Mild, Brown Ales, Old Ale, Porter & Stouts etc

Re: Greene King Abbot Ale

Postby graysalchemy » Mon Sep 21, 2015 08:28

graysalchemy

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 09:55

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2018): 0.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:46

Was definitely stronger back in the day, as I said I think there is a certain amount of b*llocks from greedy king. The big shame is in those days they were a medium size regional brewer championing cask beer, even the IPA was a reasonable pint then.
Dennis King

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:12

That's always good to know :thumb: I have increased the ABV up to 5.5% and it seems to balance much better with a bitterness of 36.

I'm now questioning the hops involved as there seems a huge divergence on what's known and what's been brewed before.

It is entirely possible that Northern Brewer was used prior to Challengers release in 1968 and the recipe I have encompasses (possibly) the 2 most regularly available hops at the time, Fuggles and Goldings, but no other hops are mentioned.

As I don't know what year this ledger was I will assume that Fuggles and Goldings were the only hops used from the 50's to the begining of the 70's.

Challenger also crops up a lot in clone recipes, if you have any knowledge of this Dennis I'd appreciate it, or anyone else in that matter.

This leads me to think that the first subtle recipe change could possibly have happened anytime after 1970 and before 1974, shortly after Challenger became available and I would guess G.K. Would have undertaken trial runs from 1968 - 1970 (1974) before making a change.

I do love some good speculation.

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Aleman » Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:46

Just remember that hop availability fluctuates year on year, so the recipe will change to reflect that. I have a recipe for Adnams Southwold that uses Fuggles and Golding . . . but I've also seen that they have recently used Boadicea . . . and my now actually be using Challenger
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:25

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Mon Sep 21, 2015 16:41

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Mon Sep 21, 2015 16:47

Whoops, I hit the wrong button and posted the above prematurely. I could wax on about the Tinseth formula for several more paragraphs, but as I have already posted plenty of words, albeit accidentally, I will spare you the torture.

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 17:18

Thanks for that Graham, always a wealth of knowledge when you come along.

If he was as close as it sounds to the hop schedule I may well have to alter mine. It also makes me wonder if the recipe I obtained is from the first year or two of the 70's of his book was published in '78 and lists the bill as Goldings and Northern brewer.

I would also hazard a guess that if Dennis drank it in '73 and Dave Lines is the closest to what he remembers then I'm going to assume that mine is the period between 1970 - 1973.

I will email Geoff and see if he knows who supplied G.K's hops for those years and what the biggest crops were, this might also help narrow the year down.

Maybe the Fuggles crop was crap those years and dawned a new hop schedule based on the years harvest?

There is more work to be done.

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 17:32

Dennis King

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 17:43

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 20:11

Dennis King

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 20:24

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Mon Sep 21, 2015 20:32

Amazing the way the mind works, I can remember most of the different beers I've tried but......................it's the wife's birthday today and despite buying a card last week I totally forgot this morning. At least I was able to produce the card to prove I hadn't forgot.
Dennis King

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Sep 21, 2015 20:42

Well you work in the right industry to redeem yourself :lol:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby Robsta » Mon Sep 21, 2015 21:27

Dont forget to send me a bottle kyle need to judge it and give you my comments lol

Robsta
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Sep 21, 2015 22:59

Depending how it goes Rob I may well make this a donation for next year.

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby paulg » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:39

+1 to the comments by Dennis re abbot in the 70s & 80s
I also have the dave line book I bought when I first started and agree the recipe when I tried it back then was close.
Aleman is correct in that the hops we get now are vastly better than in the 70s.I remember buying them from a homebrew shop in ipswich straight from a packet sat on the shelf in full daylight/shop lighting.

maybe ill also revisit this brew, although last time I drank it it gave me a splitting headache from only a couple of pints ,never did that in the 70s
paulg
Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Tue Sep 22, 2015 13:30

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Sep 22, 2015 13:55

While I accept that Tinseth's formula has it's flaws . . .especially when taken to extremes of gravity and time in boil, it is one way of estimating / predicting / educated guessing / prophesying the effects on bitterness depending on time in boil etc.

Assuming a flat 20% for bittering hops (at 90 / 60 minutes), and Zero for 15 minute / 0 minute steeped for 30 minutes also strikes me as much as guesswork as anything else. There are a vast amount of variables involved in hop utilisation, and even Glenn remarks on this. I was lucky enough many years ago when I first came across his formula to have access to a lab, that enabled me to determine IBU levels over time during the boil, and tweak the Tinseth fudge factors to suit my kettle. This actually produced good results for me as long as I stayed within a sensible range of gravities . . .sadly I no longer have that kettle, and my beers are less bitter than I would now expect.

There is no perfect way to determine the potential bitterness of a known quantity of hop with a 'known' bitterness, boiled at a known gravity for a known period of time, all the formulae have flaws, and the best recommendation is to pick one, and learn, by brewing, what the results mean for you on your kit, then tweak the recommendations of the formulae to produce the effects you want. The downside of that means brewing lots of the same recipe over and over tweaking volumes, gravities and hop quantities . . .and having to drink the results of course.

I will also agree that if you have a recipe from a ledger, like the Durden Park books, then use the quantities specified in the recipe, otherwise you are not brewing the beer in the ledger. The number of people who actually knew/know what those beers tasted like is getting fewer and fewer, you are going to be in the right ball park. There are too many variations in ingredients to produce anything more than an approximation anyway . .. even if you were to get samples of hops from the same hop pocket as the brewery, malt from the brewery grain store, and scale down from their quantities to ours, you would still produce an approximation to the commercial beer.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Tue Sep 22, 2015 23:46

After having a think I have decided to combine elements of both the ledger recipe and Dave Lines along with the information provided by Dennis and other Abbot drinkers. Whether or not it will be similar to the beer of 70's & 80's I cannot say but I'm sure I know some people who will be willing to give a verdict :D

This is what I will brew sometime this week or next:

Greene King Abbot Ale 1970/80
11C. Strong Bitter (English Pale Ale)

Recipe Specs
----------------
Batch Size (L): 23.0
Total Grain (kg): 4.930
Total Hops (g): 81.00
Original Gravity (OG): 1.054 (°P): 13.3
Final Gravity (FG): 1.012 (°P): 3.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.54 %
Colour (SRM): 12.8 (EBC): 25.3
Bitterness (IBU): 36.6 (Tinseth)
Balance (BU:GU): 0.68
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 80
Boil Time (Minutes): 90

Grain Bill
----------------
4.081 kg Pale Malt (82.78%)
0.310 kg Invert Sugar No. 3 (6.29%)
0.310 kg Flaked Maize (6.29%)
0.185 kg Crystal 30 (3.75%)
0.044 kg Chocolate (0.89%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Challenger Leaf (7.3% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
36.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 90 Minutes (Boil) (1.6 g/L)
15.0 g Fuggles Leaf (5.6% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes (Boil) (0.7 g/L)
10.0 g East Kent Golding Leaf (5% Alpha) @ 0 Days (Dry Hop) (0.4 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------
1/2 Protofloc Tablet @ 15 Minutes (Boil)

Four step mash:

Mash In: 60°C
Step 1: 60°C for 5 Minutes
Step 2: 63°C for 40 Minutes
Step 3: 65°C for 50 Minutes
Step 4: 78°C for 40 Minutes

Fermented at 21°C with Wibblers yeast for 4 days.
Lower to 13°C 24 hours after skimming yeast.
Lower to 10°C 24 hours before racking.

Recipe Generated with

Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Wed Sep 23, 2015 14:16

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby BarnsleyBrewer » Wed Sep 23, 2015 17:43

Wow, great thread, all the big guns offering excellent information... :clap:

BB

BarnsleyBrewer
Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Wed Sep 23, 2015 20:09

I only posted because the thread happened to be touching one of my pet subjects. I won't be making a habit of it.

Attempting to tell the world-wide home brewing movement that they have been doing it wrong all these years tends to put a few noses out of joint.

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby FUBAR » Wed Sep 23, 2015 20:24

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me- Winston Churchill.
FUBAR
Brewer

PreviousNext