[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4767: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4768: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4769: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3891)
The Brewing Forum • View topic - Christmas Ale C&Cs please

Christmas Ale C&Cs please

Brewed a great beer, share it. Want someone to critique one of your recipes? Want advice on a recipe for a particular style? Ask here

Christmas Ale C&Cs please

Postby marcarm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 15:59

marcarm
Brewer

Re: Christmas Ale C&Cs please

Postby robwalker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 16:02

robwalker
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Wed Jun 03, 2015 16:03

above all, be careful with cloves!!
robwalker
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Wed Jun 03, 2015 18:33

My advice would be to add the spices after fermentation . Put them in a little muslin bag suspended in the beer and taste daily until you get the desired spice. If you add to the boil and get it wrong you are left with 40 pints of un drinkable beer.

My other advice would be to swap the horrified devils toenail clipping wheat for wheat Malt much better flavour.

Secondly if it is a Christmas ale why is it only starting at 1046 , it's Christmas it should be at least 6%, that's the law for Christmas ales :lol: :lol:

graysalchemy

Postby marcarm » Wed Jun 03, 2015 19:02

You're right, I've been looking into it and think I may have to up it to 6-6.5%. I didn't want anything too strong hence trying to keep it at about 4.5%.

God point about adding after fermentation, I've had to chuck batches down the drain before and it is not a nice experience, don't want to have to do it again.

I assume you mean the torrified wheat, as I said I was going by ingredients that I have in stock, but will probably have a delivery between now and when I brew this so could add some wheat malt to that.
marcarm
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Sep 05, 2015 13:51

I soak my spices in vodka before adding the lot them to the fermenter. Then I do what Grey recommends with regular tasting.

I'd use up the torrified wheat if I was you. Grey hates the stuff but if you don't then why buy something else! Its just a personal taste thing!
Rolfster
Brewer