A couple of quick "make your own kit" things I did...

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

A couple of quick "make your own kit" things I did...

Postby MrBoy » Tue Nov 24, 2015 09:58

1)Instead of a bottle rinser, fill an empty washing up liquid bottle and squirt into each bottle. Squirt into a dozen bottles or so then shake each bottle with your hand over the top and pour into a jug. When the squirty bottle is empty, fill it up from the jug.

2)Make your own bottle drainer by drilling a grid of holes in a sheet of wood. Use a wood flat-bit - I went with 32mm which is big enough for the bottle neck to protrude about 1cm through the other side. I used a spare shelf from a kitchen cupboard, 1/2" plastic-coated MDF, which isn't ideal but works and was free. You want your holes to be 7-8cm apart (7 for 33cl bottles, 8 for 50cl perhaps), and at least 3cm from the edge of the wood... I ruled a grid.
Then glue a couple of strips on the edges to lift it just a bit off the ground. As you rinse your bottles, plob them in the holes and they'll stand upright. You can then lift and carry the whole thing over to your bottling station with the bottles in place:

draining.jpg
draining.jpg (141.65 KiB) Viewed 1042 times
MrBoy
Brewer

Re: A couple of quick "make your own kit" things I did...

Postby Rolfster » Mon Dec 28, 2015 13:33

I like the look of your bottle drainer. Have you discovered san star yet? It makes bottling up much easier!
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: A couple of quick "make your own kit" things I did...

Postby MrBoy » Wed Dec 30, 2015 16:05

Yeah (well some other brand). This system relies on it really since I just pour the stuff out of the bottles into a jug and stick them in the drainer.

I got given a proper bottle rinser for Christmas which I'm hoping will speed things up - the Fairly liquid bottle thing works fine but saving 5-10s a bottle would be nice.

I do think the drainer works well though, I've used it a couple of times and am very happy with it.
MrBoy
Brewer