Dead Rat™ Cider Recipe

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Dead Rat™ Cider Recipe

Postby TegwynTwmffat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:15

Now, at last, I can reveal the details of a secret cider recipe handed down through the generations on a farm in Normandy, France and how I came upon this information, but sadly can't post off site URLs :(
TegwynTwmffat
Brewer

Re: Dead Rat™ Cider Recipe

Postby Moley » Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:36

Welcome to the forum :cheers:

Our lot are always interested in oddball fermentations, but as you have already noticed, there are anti-spam filters in place so that new users can't post links until they've been with us for a couple of days and at least posted an introduction so we can see they are legitimate members and not robots.
Moley

Postby calumscott » Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:42

...additionally, for the avoidance of doubt, "Dead Rat" is not trademarked in the UK.

Definitely interested in different ways to make ciders though having done my first real one from actual apples this year! :thumb:
calumscott
Admin

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Nov 17, 2015 13:52

TegwynTwmffat wrote:Now, at last, I can reveal the details of a secret cider recipe handed down through the generations on a farm in Normandy, France and how I came upon this information, but sadly can't post off site URLs :(

I suspect this instructables page is the page Tegwyn wanted to link to.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby TegwynTwmffat » Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:01

Thanks everybody! I'm thinking of starting a crowd funding project to raise money to buy the trademark. Initial market research has been positive (see video in link above)
TegwynTwmffat
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:04

Bad 'Ed wrote:
TegwynTwmffat wrote:Now, at last, I can reveal the details of a secret cider recipe handed down through the generations on a farm in Normandy, France and how I came upon this information, but sadly can't post off site URLs :(

I suspect this instructables page is the page Tegwyn wanted to link to.

Probably. So the "secret recipe... handed down through generations" is actually what everyone does to make cider... :scratch:
calumscott
Admin

Postby BIGJIM72 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 14:57

I didn't know you could make cider from deceased rodents.

I have a medical condition- I am fool intolerant.

Brewing,baking & grilling up a storm in South London
BIGJIM72
Brewer

Postby Moley » Tue Nov 17, 2015 18:37

calumscott wrote:So the "secret recipe... handed down through generations" is actually what everyone does to make cider... :scratch:

Method seems to be - extract some juice from an unspecified quantity of apples (or pears), add some yeast, ferment for a month then bottle.

As a "How To" guide it falls a bit flat.

If it has been handed down from generation to generation, did they all have super-duper juice extracting gizmos?

I don't have one, and have no interest whatsoever in following the link or investing in such a contraption, so I'm out.

What is it with naming ciders after deceased or disabled animals? My daughter has been involved in market research for one Heineken have just launched / are about to launch called "Blind Pig". They've been sending her free samples, it seems pleasant enough but unremarkable.
Moley

Postby graysalchemy » Tue Nov 17, 2015 19:03

Is this is just a cheap spam trick is it to try and get us to part with our hard earned cash.

Perhaps he thinks we are addled on cheap shite cider that we wouldn't notice. I think we have smelt a rat here a very dead one.

graysalchemy

Postby calumscott » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:23

To be fair his links are to generic ebay searches so I doubt the money-making spam hypothesis.

Just someone looking for more blog-kudos I think.

Particularly because that's really a very long way from how the really good Normandy ciders are made. No scratting means no leaving the apple to oxidise. No keeving means super dry, more English style cider.

Ah well, perhaps at least some of the apples that just go to waste in the country's gardens might fulfil *some* kind of destiny because of it...
calumscott
Admin