Clean and refurbish a beer engine

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 09:32

Firstly I know I already have a half finished thread on the same subject but this is a forum members engine so wanted to get this out of the way first.

This is a quick guide on how to strip and refurbish a beer engine, as you may notice this is a pretty different engine to the previous thread, yet stripping down is still similar.

So, here is the beer engine, It is unbranded and I have no idea if its a half/third/quarter pull (will find out when its done!)

I started by removing the front cover, it had unusual screws holding it in place which I found out were not screws and that they were spacers - the front cover should only be clipped on - not screwed in under the spacers- this was my first clue this unit had been stripped down in the past.
and as it should of been.....
And the unit with the cover removed.
next remove the swan neck bracket by removing the screws on the side pictured in the above picture. it then looks like this.
as you can see in the above picture there is a hose clamp- these are a pain to remove in older units. i managed to get a small screwdriver in to release it but it took a lot of levering after to remove the hose itself.
after pic of the main unit:
i then removed the drip tray. few bolts at the bottom.
i then proceeded to remove the other clamp and hose.
After this i started on the NRV valve. it varies on models but on this one it was beneficial for me to remove it now so I can rotate the barrel to remove it from the shaft. the NRV simply inscrewed here.
As you can see, the rubber is very worn and in this situation should really be replaced. however as this is only for the NRV valve is is simpler and easier to add an external NRV which would be cheaper in most cases as this is a custom rare part.
Next i removed the two bolts at the bottom of the chamber
As you can see i can now rotate the chamber to remove it from the shaft.
at this stage if you are just cleaning it out, skip a couple of steps. for those that want to continue with a full strip down read on.

These stages are a pretty much remove all existing bolts, in whatever order is easiest. this is the way i did it but it varies on models.

i removed the stainless steel cover plate,

i then unscrewed the base of the handle,
and removed the brass from the plinth

Finally we get to work on the chamber......

I started with removing the output with a wrench
and then removed the two wingnuts holding the chamber together
i also removed the drain plug at the bottom. not needed but I like to renew washers and clear out gunk whenever possible.
slide the insulation off
the top should just pull off.
now we have the main shaft. Sadly this rubber is split should be replaced too but appears to be difficult in finding - however the design of the rubber should mean that this should still usable if a replacement cannot be found.
If you do not need to renew the rubber I would not recommend removing the rubber, as it is a pain to remove the bottom bolt from the shaft and it can be cleaned easily enough without.
I finally removed these top screws from the chamber. to be frank, I have no idea what they are for but they require some serious cleaning!

As it stands so far........

The next stages are:

deep down clean with soapy water,
renewing seals where possible,
deep down brass clean (place all brass in a bucket of water in a mild citric solution (I sue a few scoops of citric acid available from my HBS)

I will not take photos of the above (aside from before and after pictures of brass) as its all self explanatory

and renewing the plinth (sanding and updating the plinth if required)

tonight I will clean all the parts and I will update on friday :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Re: Clean and refurbish a beer engine

Postby GAZ9053 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 16:37

Is it a homark engine KP? Looks like the same nrv as on the one I've got.

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby Kyle_T » Thu Apr 16, 2015 16:59

I bloody knew my NRV was missing! :lol: and all those who said I was using a check valve incorrectly :nono:

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2018): 0.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 18:21

GAZ9053 wrote:Is it a homark engine KP? Looks like the same nrv as on the one I've got.

My first thought was that it is a homark. My second thought is that it most certainly a homark.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:33

Joe1002 wrote:
GAZ9053 wrote:Is it a homark engine KP? Looks like the same nrv as on the one I've got.

My first thought was that it is a homark. My second thought is that it most certainly a homark.

Cheers gents, that will defiantly make it easier to try and find spares!

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:42

Have a look here :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:43

So....... next step is to clean the brass. Marks brass is pretty clean so I've quickly took some brass from one of my spare engines. as you can see its badly oxidised.
dropped in to a few liters of warm water with a few teaspoons of citric acid powder youll notice it clears pretty fast but i tend to leave it in overnight.
right, whilst thats in on to sorting out the plinth.
i used course parer moving onto fine once the paint was removed. it takes a while! i stripped as much as i could before moving on.
obviously if you use a really light stain youll have to put more effort in with the sanding. make sure you wipe it down with a damp cloth before continuing.
once it has dried, move onto the next stage. i found a nice oak style stain from Wilkos so i have gone with that.
give it a good shake and get a lint free cloth and then rub it in working with the grain. it should only need one coat.

........... next stage is a few coats of varnish but i will leave it 24 hours + first.........

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby GAZ9053 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:44

Bet me to it Joe :D

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:47

Joe1002 wrote:Have a look here :thumb:

cheers Joe! ironically i found that this morning, and thought it should fit but the seal i the main shaft looked different.

im going to re assemble it first to see how much life is left in the seals....... ill then butcher a few hi genes that ive got knocking around to see if the rubbers from them fit.

as this is for Mark (forum member) I'm trying to avoid spending more on parts unless absolutely necessary.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 20:55

Yeah they do look a little different, but if the cylinder is 73mm it will work. The one on it now doesn't look up to much but you never know.

I need to re stain and varnish my plinths, I have two of the same beer engines but the plinths are very marginally different in colour and it bugs me :lol:

Joe1002

Postby Dennis King » Thu Apr 16, 2015 22:21

Great photos, hope you don't end up with a washer over when it's all back together.
Dennis King

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 16, 2015 22:42

Dennis King wrote:Great photos, hope you don't end up with a washer over when it's all back together.

Haha Cheers! I'm hoping tonnage no left over parts this time! Last time it was a spring... Had no idea where it came from. When the beer flowed back into the pin I gathered it was the NRV spring!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:30

krazypara3165 wrote:
Joe1002 wrote:Have a look here :thumb:

cheers Joe! ironically i found that this morning, and thought it should fit but the seal i the main shaft looked different.

im going to re assemble it first to see how much life is left in the seals....... ill then butcher a few hi genes that ive got knocking around to see if the rubbers from them fit.

as this is for Mark (forum member) I'm trying to avoid spending more on parts unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks KP. You're a true gent.

I wouldn't have a clue with any of this. I'm really lucky we live close-by and you made the kind offer to do it. It'd be stuck in the shed for years before being thown away otherwise.

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 17, 2015 16:32

Out of interest, was the chamber filthy? Would it have been really rank if I just flushed it with beerline cleaner and used as it was?

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 18:20

Mark wrote:Out of interest, was the chamber filthy? Would it have been really rank if I just flushed it with beerline cleaner and used as it was?

Yes and yes lol, yours had sludge inside!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Mark » Fri Apr 17, 2015 20:00

Grim... life lesson, if you're writing a list for xmas, make sure it includes links.

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Fri Apr 17, 2015 21:10

Or Like I often do. Buy it yourself and hand it over for wrapping :D

First BIAB 15.03.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 00:37

So bit of a quiet one today. Applied the first coat of varnish, (of three)Image
Whilst that was drying I've polished up The brass.
And methodically cleaned the remaining parts. The inside.of the chamber was grim, and stained. This is how it looks now,
Tomorrow I'm going to strip down a spare engine for seals (if these don't hold- I'm suspecting they may not) and then re-build and test. I've just applied the second coat of varnish and the third will go on tomorrow so hoping to have it done and dusted :)

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby bobsbeer » Sat Apr 18, 2015 00:50

Looking good. :thumb:
bobsbeer
Brewer

Postby Adrian_98_uk » Sat Apr 18, 2015 22:03

2 beer engines were going at York Auction centre a month ago! I couldn't make it to get them! Very frustrated haha
Adrian_98_uk
Brewer

Postby Mark » Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:54

Looking fantastic!

@chesterbrewr
Mark
Brewer