Refurbish a beer engine.

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Refurbish a beer engine.

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:49

This thread will be completed over the next few weeks, Once completed I will edit it and clean it up a little, but for the time being 'excuse the mess.

This thread will cover the complete overhaul of a beer engine and by the time it is finished will hopefully cover.....

Renewing the seals,
Replacing the one way valve,
Cleaning and polishing stainless steel,
Acid cleaning and polishing the brass,
Sanding, dying and varnishing the wood.
And renewing replacing the handle.

Now before I start I will inform you all that I am not a tradesman of any sort and have 'taught myself' so to speak. The information given in this guide is a collection of various articles and information from several sources. There will more than likely be better, faster or less labour intensive ways so speak up if you can 'streamline' the process. I may also miss something out, or need to go more into something...... If this is the case just let me know!

So here we go!

This is the beer engine we will be working on. It's a 1/2 pt Hi-Gene beer engine. I am hoping the seals will be intact so will not be replacing them, however as with the handle that does not need work I will be going through the process.

As you can see Its not in too bad of a state but you get an idea of how long it has been sat around for in the back of a pub with those prices! (yes, £1.40 a pint!)

And here is what we want to achieve! This is a similar engine that I refurbished a few weeks back.

As you can see the chrome and the brass are shiny again and the plinth has had a nice colour change. Below are the pair side by side.

That's me for just now, during the week I will strip it down and go through the stripping process.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Re: Refurbish a beer engine.

Postby EvansTheSteam » Mon Apr 14, 2014 08:54

Looking forward to future instalments, it will be useful reference for many! :clap:
Another item being regained! :thumb:

Evanvine Brewery
EvansTheSteam
Steam Age Brewer

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:38

Looking forward to this too, I've got 6 sitting in the basement waiting for some attention (that's right, six :shock: . I love an eBay bargain!)

Require a Regulator? Searching for a Sankey? Looking for cellar and dispensing equipment? Send me a PM!

The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting - BIAB#18 Simcoe IPA
Conditioning - BIAB#17 60th Rifles IPA; Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Leatherwood Traditional, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - BIAB#15 Spitfire (Brewlab SN yeast), BIAB#16 Cascade/Ahtanum APA; Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - "Oh, Mr Porter!", more APA's and some American Red
Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:41

Cpt.Frederickson wrote:Looking forward to this too, I've got 6 sitting in the basement waiting for some attention (that's right, six :shock: . I love an eBay bargain!)

I'm the same! I got a cracking deal on four. However two of them require new brass fittings and handles and once I factored in parts I don't think they will be worthwhile renewing

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37

That's a shame. Maybe someone with parts etc already will take them off your hands. Hoping m ones are salvagable. Two just need a clean, the other 4 might need a little more than that but all the parts seem to be there...just hope they can be brought up to scratch!

Require a Regulator? Searching for a Sankey? Looking for cellar and dispensing equipment? Send me a PM!

The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting - BIAB#18 Simcoe IPA
Conditioning - BIAB#17 60th Rifles IPA; Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Leatherwood Traditional, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - BIAB#15 Spitfire (Brewlab SN yeast), BIAB#16 Cascade/Ahtanum APA; Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - "Oh, Mr Porter!", more APA's and some American Red
Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby tim_n » Mon Apr 14, 2014 13:38

I have a beer engine which I've done very little with. Black paint (not sure if it's chrome underneath) and matt brass due to lack of proper polish. My ex bought it from Woodfordes when we went up there for a tour and a pint. Best present from her ever...

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby phettebs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 13:51

There was one on the forum which shall not be named that was specific to Hi-Gene engines like I have. I used that to refurbish mine and it was brilliant. There might be a thread on Jim's with the same info. I'll have to look.

Summer Creek Brewery
phettebs
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 14:42

phettebs wrote:There was one on the forum which shall not be named that was specific to Hi-Gene engines like I have. I used that to refurbish mine and it was brilliant. There might be a thread on Jim's with the same info. I'll have to look.

Yeah I remember seeing that. Believe it was Stu that wrote it?

Anyway, my engine seems to be totally different to his, His could of been a 1/4 pint pull?

Plus, I'm planning on explaining how to renew the plinth and brass ;)

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Joe1002 » Mon Apr 14, 2014 15:35

The plinth bit I am interested in. I have two beer engines which are exactly the same apart from the plinths are a slightly different colour. I plan to make them the same. Thanks for doing this KP :cheers:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby krazypara3165 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 19:33

Sorry for the late update. its been a busy month!

So here we start, this will be todays subject!

A Hi-Gene 1/2 pull beer engine.

Start off by removing the two front cover screws

Once this is off it should come away from the body. However the hose will still be attached so be careful. remove the clamp with a screwdriver and pull the hose off.

Once done the front cover should come off. remove the swan neck with a ratchet for the back two nuts and a phillips screwdriver for the front.

Should end up like this

next, remove the handle. the top 'bulb' screws off and everything else should slide off.
N.B at this point you could use pliers to twist the bar off away from the plinth, i had none so left it on.

Next we will remove the plinth. undo the four phillips screws on the underside that hold it in place.

....Slowly getting there.

Then remove the brass base from the plinth using a ratchet again

Next we will work on the backplate, remove all the bolts Including the two that hold the bar in place

Slide the bar out and remove the plate. the eye on the end of the shaft can be removed by twisting anticlockwise. however, you may need a wrench and strong pliers if it does not budge.

the pump unit should now be free

Next remove the pins off the brass link arms

Then remove the bolts and slide the remaining bar out of place

And so far.......

Now we get to work on the pump.

remove the two hose tails. but be delicate as they are only plastic

Some units may be different. parts can get complex so remember to photograph at stages.
It was at this point I realized that on my other unit i forgot to replace THIS spring. wondered why it remained. that unit will now need to be stripped down again!

The top and the bottom are only pushed into place. i removed them by sliding a screwdriver down the shaft and carefully (plastic again) prized them off.

The seals on top can be removed by pushing them out with your finger

Remove the nut and take apart the piston

And thats us folks!

A stripped down beer engine!

The next chapter will be cleaning the components, sanding and painting the plinth, and bringing the original shine back to the brass with very little effort!

Stay tuned!

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 14:38

Apologies! I'll get this thread moving on again when I get home. found the bag of parts in the cupboard last night and totally forgot i was restoring it!

Tonight I will focus on renewing the brass and possibly stripping the wood

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby johnsaunders » Wed Aug 27, 2014 19:07

Look forward to the update. :)

Formally known as cyberheater
johnsaunders
Brewer

Postby tbehm » Tue Sep 01, 2015 18:23

krazypara, Did you ever finish this project this is very useful anywhere I can get parts?
tbehm
Brewer

Postby Laithclark » Sat Nov 07, 2015 08:44

Id be very interested too as I have one of the same working and one not. Both are missing the front stainless plate so if you have any spares or know anyone who does, please let me know

Looking forward to the rebuild
Laithclark
Brewer