Is this normal for a biab beer

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Is this normal for a biab beer

Postby beerlover1983 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 16:56

Right ive done many brews on my 3 v system but living in a flat its a pain so i often brew elsewhere.Ive decided to get into biab to help with this.

So today i used my buffalo 40 ltr boiler used a grain bag and did a full mash biab.

End of boil i took a hydrometer sample as normal and noticed how much trub there is in the wort and the end of the boil.So i ran it through the grain bag on a seive to clear some of it out .

Im not overly fussed as im sure it will drop out.But from the experienced biab people out there is this normal? And why should it be like this if it is over a 3v system

You can see from the photo it had started to drop in the trial jar

Check out my youtube channel for beer reviews and brewing

http://www.youtube.com/user/beerlover1983brew
beerlover1983
Brewer

Re: Is this normal for a biab beer

Postby calumscott » Sat Nov 08, 2014 17:12

Normal? You've got way less than my normal in there!

You do get a lot of cr@p in the wort - I guess there are a load of reasons for it but the loose mash is probably why, just easier for the crap to get out of the grain.

Then there's the fact that your wort gets recirculated through the grain bed in 3V until it's clear before you run it off to the boiler.

Don't fret it. It won't impact on your beer.
calumscott
Admin

Postby tommidolcetto » Sat Nov 08, 2014 17:56

I have this trub from BIABing, never done 3v brewing so didn't know it was unusual. Yes it drops out with the yeast cake in the fv but I'm wondering if it affects flavour.

How how about straining it between mash and boil? Finer than the bag obviously.
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby beerlover1983 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 18:56

tommidolcetto wrote:I have this trub from BIABing, never done 3v brewing so didn't know it was unusual. Yes it drops out with the yeast cake in the fv but I'm wondering if it affects flavour.

How how about straining it between mash and boil? Finer than the bag obviously.

I guess thats a option but didnt want to have to take out pot then back in .Maybe i need to brew the same beer on both systems to test if there is any impact on flavour.

Check out my youtube channel for beer reviews and brewing

http://www.youtube.com/user/beerlover1983brew
beerlover1983
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 19:03

looks normal yeah. i usually take my sample halfway down the wort when transferring to the FV, if it's still hot just use a coffee mug and let it cool down before transferring to trial jar.
robwalker
Brewer