How To . . . Rehydrate Yeast

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: How To . . . Rehydrate Yeast

Postby Aleman » Thu Jan 22, 2015 17:47

Well as long as it's a big enough starter. . . Say like 5 litres . . And you pitch within 24 hours . . . I've been known to make a 20L starter for my big batches of lagers. 3 sachets of yeast pitched at 9C then the whole starter gets pitched into 80L 48 hours later.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Jan 30, 2015 13:12

I'm planning to rehydrate a yeast this evening, but since it's a kit yeast (Festival - Father Hooks Bitter) I have no idea what strain it is.

is 30c a pretty safe water temperature to rehydrate at?

Zod
Brewer

Postby rpt » Fri Jan 30, 2015 13:33

Zod wrote:is 30c a pretty safe water temperature to rehydrate at?

I think Nottingham is 30C+-3C and S04 is 27C+-3C so anywhere between 27C and 30C would seem a reasonable temperature to use.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Zod » Fri Jan 30, 2015 13:52

rpt wrote:
Zod wrote:is 30c a pretty safe water temperature to rehydrate at?

I think Nottingham is 30C+-3C and S04 is 27C+-3C so anywhere between 27C and 30C would seem a reasonable temperature to use.

seems rational, thanks!

Zod
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Sep 17, 2016 13:24

Is anyone rehydrating wine yeast? I'm thinking of clearing out the freezer of some soft fruit and using it to make a wine with. The yeast is a little on the old side so I was going to rehydrate it to see if there is any life left in it first. It's youngs wine yeast.
I'm think the water should be 30 degrees. Any thoughts?

Edit: I found this which answers my question! http://www.winegrowers.info/wine_making/Yeast.htm
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:04

Just seen this due to another thread.... looks like we don't need to be rehydrating fermentis yeast.

https://fermentis.com/news-from-ferment ... -pitching/
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby chastuck » Fri Jun 22, 2018 15:29

Rolfster wrote:Just seen this due to another thread.... looks like we don't need to be rehydrating fermentis yeast.

https://fermentis.com/news-from-ferment ... -pitching/

An interesting article. I'd be interested to know as well if adding dry yeast as they describe negates the need for pumping O2 into the wort.
chastuck
Brewer

Previous