How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boiler

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boi

Postby danwlx » Thu Oct 09, 2014 20:48

Hi guys,

Ordered all the parts for this and have an issue I'm looking for help on.

When trying to screw in the parallel nipple into the valve I can only get a few turns before it stops, I can't screw it fully in, this leaves a large gap when screwing in the reducer so is nowhere near watertight. Contacting BES they state that the thread on the 20306 is tapered so the parallel nipple wouldn't screw in far, everyone else seems to have managed so am I missing something!?

All help appreciated.
Cheers
Dan
danwlx
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 09, 2014 23:58

The catalogue says that 20306 is parallel so one or more of the following must apply:
1. The catalogue is wrong and they are now supplying a different part.
2. You have been sent a duff part.
3. You were told nonsense.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Sun Oct 12, 2014 20:34

Can anyone remember the size of the hole on the boiler.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby rpt » Sun Oct 12, 2014 20:45

Jimmy321 wrote:Can anyone remember the size of the hole on the boiler.

The fittings are 3/8" BSP so probably about 17mm.

rpt
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:29

danwlx wrote:Hi guys,

Ordered all the parts for this and have an issue I'm looking for help on.

When trying to screw in the parallel nipple into the valve I can only get a few turns before it stops, I can't screw it fully in, this leaves a large gap when screwing in the reducer so is nowhere near watertight. Contacting BES they state that the thread on the 20306 is tapered so the parallel nipple wouldn't screw in far, everyone else seems to have managed so am I missing something!?

All help appreciated.
Cheers
Dan

Dan - Did you get to the bottom of this issue?

Just throught id double check before ordering the parte (the buffalo is in the post!!)

Cheers
:cheers:
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:06

I have the parts in my hand right now and one side of the tap has a taper thread and the other parallel so the parallel nipple will only fit on that side. It's tight on the first try so make sure it's in to the correct side or you may damage the thread.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 17:13

OK here's the problem. The ball valve shown in the OP has the handle in the open position pointing away from the boiler however the ball valve delivered to me is the other way round (as shown on the BES site) and there appears to be no way to fix it :(

PS mods please fix the forum to open links in a new tab/window!

Last edited by Jimmy321 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 17:48, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 17:47

Well that's it fitted only took 5 mins, turned the tap handle upside down and have filled it with warm water and some oxyclean to remove the staining and water treatment additions from the heat plate. My old hop strainer fitted so the one comming from the homebrew shop will get used in my mash tun as the SS false bottom that came with it gives a stuck mash from time to time.

Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 19:36

Does the tap open fully with the handle upside down?

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby Joe1002 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 19:42

Jimmy321 wrote:PS mods please fix the forum to open links in a new tab/window!

We are trying to keep the forum as 'vanilla' as possible so future upgrades will be simple and the forum more stable.

You can right click and open in new tab or click on mouse wheel if using a mouse.

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 19:49

Jimmy321 wrote:OK here's the problem. The ball valve shown in the OP has the handle in the open position pointing away from the boiler however the ball valve delivered to me is the other way round (as shown on the BES site) and there appears to be no way to fix it :(

I don't understand what you are saying. Open the ball valve and fit it to the boiler. How can yours be the other way round? :scratch:

rpt
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 20:19

rpt wrote:I don't understand what you are saying. Open the ball valve and fit it to the boiler. How can yours be the other way round? :scratch:

Because one side of the ball valve has a taper thread where hose tail adapter fits mine is on the opposite side from yours.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 20:21

Joe1002 wrote:Does the tap open fully with the handle upside down?

Yes it does, but as the location catches are no longer in use you can turn it to far and open the valve again.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Oct 16, 2014 22:27

Jimmy321 wrote:
rpt wrote:I don't understand what you are saying. Open the ball valve and fit it to the boiler. How can yours be the other way round? :scratch:

Because one side of the ball valve has a taper thread where hose tail adapter fits mine is on the opposite side from yours.

I've screwed a parallel nipple into my ball valve where the hose barb normally goes. I managed to easily screw it all the way in so it's clearly parallel on this side too.

It's listed on the BES website as
BSP Parallel Female x Female
so I would expect it to be parallel on both sides. Have you queried this with them as they have clearly changed the part?

rpt
Brewer

Postby Jimmy321 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 23:30

I've contacted them asking so should have an answer soon.
Jimmy321
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:43

Im waiting with anticipation as my boiler has been dispatched to me and I am itching to get on with it!

rpt - Presumably the reaon you went with 3/8BSP was because it was the largets tap without having to modify the hole? Also, are there any other mods/things to look out for with the buffalo 40l?
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby ArnoldTheBat » Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:20

Thanks very much for the guide. For those with problems with the parallel nipple and the valve:

I ordered the parts this week and ran into the same problem (parallel nipple would only screw a little way into the valve, say a 1/4 of the nipple's length). In my case the issue was the same on both sides of the valve.

I resolved it by using the original rubber washer from the buffalo boiler backed by a m16 stainless washer (so rubber against boiler, stainless against valve) in place of the Teflon washer. The extra thickness making up for the limited distance the nipple would screw into the valve. The M16 washer is just the right size to go over the thread and fully cover the rubber washer. Forms a nice tight seal, seems to work fine without leaks.
ArnoldTheBat
Brewer

Postby rpt » Sat Oct 18, 2014 17:14

crispylettuce wrote:rpt - Presumably the reaon you went with 3/8BSP was because it was the largets tap without having to modify the hole? Also, are there any other mods/things to look out for with the buffalo 40l?

3/8" BSP is exactly the right size for the existing hole. I would have preferred to use 1/2" BSP because that is the standard in home brew kit, but it would mean enlarging the hole.

The other potential issue with the Buffalo is problems with it cutting out during the boil. I managed to do 20 brews without any issue while others seem to have trouble from the start. I found a loose connection which was causing the thermal cutout to overheat and tightening this has fixed it. Others have replaced the cutout with a higher temperature part. I wouldn't let this put you off getting a Buffalo as the problem is easily fixed.

rpt
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Sat Oct 18, 2014 18:55

Not put off by the buffalo issues i have read - which is lucky as arrived today! What kind of efficiency / boil off rate do you get from yours? Id be interested as a starter before i adjust on the basis of the performance of mine.
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Sat Nov 01, 2014 18:19

A slight variation on the theme... I use a 90 degree elbow out of the boiler to keep it closer to the kettle so im less likely to knock it!

crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby Strongarm » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:27

Just ordered one of these for £95 in Nisbets sale so will be cracking on with this how to, although not till after Christmas as it's a present from the wife.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer

Postby Strongarm » Thu Jan 08, 2015 14:38

All my bits just arrived from BES (had hop stopper and silicone tube already) so will hopefully put this all together tonight and do my first brew tomorrow night.

I have a couple of food blogs

Cooking The Books

Wong Kei, London
Strongarm
Brewer

Postby dhendy91 » Sat Jan 10, 2015 21:20

Just done this for mine so easy! Love the mod! Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
dhendy91
Brewer

Postby kohoutec » Sat Feb 07, 2015 18:41

Couldn't resist the 95 quid Buffalos so caved in and ordered everything on Thursday. It all turned up next day and it took all of 10 minutes to follow this brilliant guide today! Didn't have any problems with any of the parts they all fitted together perfectly.

And I've finally got around to building my Gatorade mashtun by repurposing the tank connector and tap from my old burco boiler, so it's a brand new brewery! Although I've always done BIAB so this is a whole new learning curve when I get the chance to brew again
kohoutec
Brewer

Postby rpt » Thu Apr 09, 2015 13:01

The design of the Buffalo has changed and the hole is no longer round. I don't know how easy it is to fit a tap now.

rpt
Brewer

PreviousNext