How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boiler

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boiler

Postby rpt » Tue Apr 08, 2014 23:13

EDIT: The new version of the Buffalo boiler has changed and the hole is no longer round so this how-to may only be of use if you have an older version of the boiler.

This How To shows how to fit a ball valve and a hop stopper to a 40L Buffalo boiler. It doesn't require any cutting or drilling. And it's all shiny!

Here are the bits you need:

PTFE tape - I already had this but you can get it from many DIY shops such as Wilko or BES.

From BES:
14557 3/8" BSP TM, Stainless steel hose tail adaptor
20306 3/8" BSP Stainless steel 2-piece ball valve (I wouldn't recommend the 1-piece as it is reduced bore)
20176 3/4" Kevlar washer (yes, three quarters of an inch)
14461 3/8" BSP Stainless steel parallel nipple
14321 1/2" x 3/8" BSP Stainless steel reducing socket

From the Home Brew Shop:
846190 Bazooka 12" Large Mash / Hop Screen
I also got my 3/8" silicone tubing from here (part 400001).

And, of course, you will need a 40L manual fill Buffalo boiler. I got mine quite cheaply from the Nisbets clearance store on eBay.

Firstly, you need to remove the original tap from the boiler. It's only hand tight so it comes off without any tools.

Next, screw the parallel nipple into the ball valve and put the kevlar washer on the nipple:

Screw the bazooka screen into the reducing socket. The male thread is taper so it doesn't screw all the way into the socket:

Put the valve and nipple through the hole on the outside of the boiler:

and screw the coupler onto the nipple on the inside of the boiler:

It's a bit fiddly to do this as you can't freely turn the hop stopper. However, it isn't too hard to do so persevere. Get it as tight as you can but with the handle at the top. Again, it only needs to be hand tight for a good seal.

Finally, wrap some PTFE tape around the male thread on the hose tale adaptor and screw it into the ball valve:

The silicone hose easily pushes onto the barb and seals perfectly.

I suggest you make sure everything is tight before you use the boiler each time.

I have done this with the 40L Buffalo boiler but it looks like it should also work with the 30L Buffalo as it is the same diameter.

Last edited by rpt on Thu Apr 09, 2015 13:00, edited 1 time in total.

rpt
Brewer

Re: How to fit a ball valve and hop stopper to a Buffalo boi

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:09

Cheers for that! planning on doing this over the next few weeks. Total cost (ex del and hose) is only £20.54 from the suppliers mentioned so a definite worthwhile upgrade!

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby tim_n » Mon Apr 14, 2014 13:52

Been wondering how to attach a mesh screen to the nozzle. Wish I'd thought of using a SS jubilee clip.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby duncs » Mon Apr 14, 2014 16:01

I'm sure I replied to this once before :?

Thanks for posting this, I've yet to do mine, 5 brews with my buffalo boiler with no modifications. I think it's time for my boiler to get an upgrade :electric:

Last edited by duncs on Tue Apr 15, 2014 08:12, edited 1 time in total.

Ego bibo ergo sum
duncs
Brewer

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon Apr 14, 2014 22:02

Nice guide, a really good simple way of modifying the boiler.

I did mine a little differently, involves the use of a qmax, but if you're one for making a custom hop stopper this way works.
Guide to this alternative conversion and parts here.
The stuff I've got is the second pic. Really easy to do and I seem to recall there is a qmax doing the rounds on here...

And here's the hop stopper attached. Leaves almost no dead space. Less than 2 litres with 200g of leaf hops in a brew!
http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/s527/CptFrederickson/IMG_1024_zps51901173.jpg

If you want a tap and the other gubbins then I've got spares you're welcome to Duncs.

Require a Regulator? Searching for a Sankey? Looking for cellar and dispensing equipment? Send me a PM!

The Hand of Doom Brewery and Meadery
Fermenting - BIAB#18 Simcoe IPA
Conditioning - BIAB#17 60th Rifles IPA; Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Leatherwood Traditional, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - BIAB#15 Spitfire (Brewlab SN yeast), BIAB#16 Cascade/Ahtanum APA; Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Planning - "Oh, Mr Porter!", more APA's and some American Red
Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby kentmark » Thu Apr 17, 2014 14:15

Nice guide! Co-incidence I was just last night posting about doing exactly this to my burco!
kentmark
Brewer

Postby Edge » Tue May 06, 2014 14:39

This is the guide I used to modify mine (from old forum) and it's great - no leaks at all and really helps to get the wort out of the boiler.
Edge
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:33

im my attempts to minimise my dead space (and with no plumbing experience) does anyone know how i could incorporate two copper 45 degree bends into this design?

Kegged:

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby rpt » Mon May 12, 2014 14:56

I think you might struggle to reduce the dead space with this design as the hop stopper is pretty much touching the bottom of the boiler. If there was a way to do I would use stainless steel bends from the same place as the other bits. Let us know how you get on.

rpt
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 12, 2014 15:02

rpt wrote:I think you might struggle to reduce the dead space with this design as the hop stopper is pretty much touching the bottom of the boiler. If there was a way to do I would use stainless steel bends from the same place as the other bits. Let us know how you get on.

I'm going to order the standard parts and go from there. ive not looked into it that much but my boiler has a fair whack of dead space and the element is in the middle so I either have the issue of the hop stopper being quite high above the element and leaving a lot of wort, or the hop stopper wont fit because of the element being in the way. Hopefully i can configure the hop stopper to go a bit lower and bend slightly to the left but ill have to have a play when the parts arrive.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby rpt » Mon May 12, 2014 16:01

There is a shorter version of the bazooka screen so maybe that would help you. Is your boiler not a Buffalo?

rpt
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 12, 2014 16:22

rpt wrote:There is a shorter version of the bazooka screen so maybe that would help you. Is your boiler not a Buffalo?

Negative its a burco. It has around 1 1/4 inch dead space underneath the bottom of the tap outlet hole

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Tue May 13, 2014 12:22

I'll send a pic of the one I made for my Buffalo boiler this evening. Gives nearly zero dead space, made out of copper pipe. It's served me well, and hopefully will serve its new owner Gethin79 similarly!

Last edited by Cpt.Frederickson on Fri May 16, 2014 08:22, edited 1 time in total.

Require a Regulator? Searching for a Sankey? Looking for cellar and dispensing equipment? Send me a PM!

Conditioning - BIAB#17 60th Rifles IPA; Meads - Raspberry Melomel yeast test, Vanilla Cinnamon Metheglyn, Leatherwood Traditional, Orange Melomel.
Drinking - BIAB#15 Spitfire (Brewlab SN yeast), BIAB#16 Cascade/Ahtanum APA; Traditional Mead, Cyser, Ginger Metheglyn.
Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue May 13, 2014 13:07

cheers, ive ordered a hop screen anyway from the homebrew company. yet to decide if ill use it yet but plan on having a play around with the boiler next week.

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby rpt » Tue May 13, 2014 13:30

When I'm draining my Buffalo boiler I tilt it towards the end and don't leave a huge amount behind. The only problem I've had was using pellet hops - they blocked the bazooka screen and I couldn't get the last few litres out. I've never had a problem with whole hops.

rpt
Brewer

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Fri May 16, 2014 08:30

As mentioned previously, here's the design of hop stopper I used in my Buffalo. It was a home made jobby (first time I've ever brazed copper) and attaches using a compression fitting so would need slightly different parts. I think I gave a link earlier to an alternative way of fitting a ball valve and this hop stopper uses that guide.

The hop stopper

This is where I brazed a 90 degree and 45 degree elbow together to get the appropriate bend and dip needed. The fit leaves it flush to the bottom of the boiler.

Underside of the hop stopper.

This works really well I've found, very little deadspace. I'm talking under two litres of wort when using 200g of hops! And that was just absorption into the hops.
One of the best bits of kit I've made. Can't use it with Pellets mind, but I've never tried. Screen filters are better for those I understand.
Anyways, hope that is useful to someone.

Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:07

Bought a hop stopper from the home brew shop but looking at where it will be in situ Its not going to be suitable so Im going to go down the copper route.

To start with I plan on just crimping the pieces as I do not have the equipment or experience to solder. Drilling it may also be an issue as I dont have a vice but thats easy enough to overcome. the main issue I do have is how to attach the copper to the valve and create the seal what parts do I need, and how do I do it?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 19, 2014 12:26

Compression fittings. Check the link earlier to a thread on Jim's and it'll tell you all you need to know.

Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 19, 2014 12:53

cheers. had a quick look. so it appears to do that method I will have to drill out the hole a tad so ill keep an eye out for a qmax cutter.

The links in that post are a bit out dated - are all the parts available from screwfix?

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 19, 2014 13:15

Think I've got a spare set of all the stuff required and the qmax if you want?
BTW, it's the stuff for his second attempt that is best/easiest. I've done this on three different boilers very successfully.

Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon May 19, 2014 13:20

How much are you looking for it? I'll need to nip to screwfix anyway for some copper but this should save me some effort

Kegged:

Bottled:

Maturing:

Next Up:
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 19, 2014 13:34

I'll drop you a message this evening when I'm back from work, will need to check cost of postage. Will be cheaper than bes anyways

Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby Gethin79 » Mon May 19, 2014 16:56

Cpt.Frederickson wrote:I'll send a pic of the one I made for my Buffalo boiler this evening. Gives nearly zero dead space, made out of copper pipe. It's served me well, and hopefully will serve its new owner Gethin79 similarly!

:D

Yes! Many thanks. It arrived while I was at the festival. Looks a great bit of kit! :thumb:

...and soon will get plenty of use!
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby Cpt.Frederickson » Mon May 19, 2014 18:23

Good stuff, glad it got there ok. And may it serve you well :thumb:

Cpt.Frederickson
Vendor

Postby Mead House » Tue Aug 05, 2014 14:05

Excellent article, thanks very much. Really handy having the part numbers - quick delivery from BES (and The Home Brew Shop).
Had a problem getting the washer to seal properly, so adapted a tap washer and fitted between the kevlar washer and the boiler.
Ordered my Buffalo 40l from Nesbits, via there e-bay clearance shop - very quick delivery.
You can imagine my disappointment when I'd done the tap conversion and fired the boiler up - no power light. After much changing of fuses, and still no luck, screwdriver time. One of the wires in the base had pulled out of its crimp connector.
All sorted, and very happy. :D
Mead House
Brewer

Next