Stove top Partial Mash

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: Stove top Partial Mash

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Sun Mar 01, 2015 14:44

I really like Bobek hops, recommend trying them. But you could use any hop you fancy in place of them. Some I've liked as late hops in these kind of ales are Amarillo, Aurora, Centennial, First Gold, Green Bullet, Motueka, Challenger, Wakatu, Brewers Gold, Sterling. No shortage of options, loads of others.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sun Mar 01, 2015 20:36

I see they are also called Styrian too. I've quite a few varieties in the freezer. I need to get brewing to use them up! Hopefully will get brewing again tomorrow, being retired has its benefits!
Also I meant to ask you if you vary the yeasts you use? Being a new brewer there seems to be so much choice it's a bit overwhelming as to which is best for what beer and the difference it can make.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Sun Mar 01, 2015 20:54

Yes I do vary the yeasts. Mainly use dry yeasts, US05, S04, Mauribrew Ale, all three are really good, and occasionally S33 and Nottingham. S33 is nice but seems to struggle to attenuate, often sticks around 1020. Nottingham is a straight forward yeast to use, I've just preferred the beers I've made with 05 and Mauribrew. Personal taste. Not used SO4 in a pale ale yet, only porter and stout. I've used Whitelabs WLP002 liquid yeast a few times, it's a great yeast, in pale and dark ales.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 09:45

Thanks, I've just bottled my Proper Job clone and have started washing the yeast which is US-05, Up to now I've used Gervin from Wilkos, NBS. Ale yeast from MM which I think I read. Is Notty? And Belle Saison which I have in a wheat beer that I may bottle today. I'm going to try and wash that too but I'm guessing it's not suitable for your recipes. I just built a stir plate yesterday so I can start growing yeast on......maybe. I did save some Old Peculiar the other day to see if I could get any yeast from that but the beer stayed clear in the bottle which I assume means it was all cleared before bottling.?

I've done a bit more reading about hops and now realise that Styrian hops are from a region and not as I thought a single variety :doh: Newbies eh! :scratch:
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Wed Mar 04, 2015 19:51

I don't think Old Peculiar is bottle conditioned, pretty sure it isn't. So no yeast. Most bottled ales are pasteurised and then carbonated with C02.

Proper Job is bottle conditioned, I've heard. Fullers Bengal Lancer, Hopback Summer Lightning, Brakspear Oxford Gold, Coopers, Duvel, Chimay, and plenty more.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Mar 04, 2015 22:25

Thanks yet again! i've just got my grains and hops ready to brew tomorrow. I've scaled up the Black Rye PA to 24 ltrs. I decided to use up some of the stuff I already have before buying more. A mate came and helped me finish of the last of the Rye PA after a bike ride this avo! I'm going to have to hide it from them.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Thu Mar 05, 2015 20:44

Well, I have 19ltrs tucked up with US-05. Brewed approx., 13ltrs to 1.100 and liquered back to 1.044. I only had 1.4kgs. of DME left so added some more MO to try and compensate. I think maybe I should have had more water for the dunk sparge. Anyway it'll be beer and i'll enjoy it.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Fri Mar 06, 2015 00:13

I'm sure it'll be great.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Thu Mar 12, 2015 18:03

Got a bulk order arrived to do your recipes P 2 M! nice little gift from MM too :thumb:

Forgot to add, the Black Rye PA is down to 1.016, so wont be long.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Tue Mar 17, 2015 18:11

Well, bottled the Black Rye yesterday, got 20 x 660ml. And 7 x 500ml, just brewed the Black Stuff recipe today, stuck to the 12ltrs. for this one. May do the Orkney one tomorrow as the mrs just picked up some brown sugar for me, got everything else.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Thu Mar 19, 2015 13:34

Excellent, I feel honoured :hat: - let us know how they go.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 20:25

Partial_to_Mash wrote:Excellent, I feel honoured :hat: - let us know how they go.

Thanks, but I'm really glad of your recipes, I just hope others try some. I got the Orkney Dark one done, but had to use Centennial instead of Challenger as I hadn't realised I'd run out, hope it's ok. Both brews are bubbling happily away in my brewing wardrobe! I was well pleased that I almost hit your O.G,s too with 1.052 for the Black Stuff and 1.046 for the Orkney Dark.. Can I use some porridge oats (with a glucan rest)instead of Torrified wheat for the third recipe as I forgot to order that too! :doh:
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Thu Mar 19, 2015 20:51

Robdob wrote:Thanks, but I'm really glad of your recipes, I just hope others try some. I got the Orkney Dark one done, but had to use Centennial instead of Challenger as I hadn't realised I'd run out, hope it's ok. Both brews are bubbling happily away in my brewing wardrobe! I was well pleased that I almost hit your O.G,s too with 1.052 for the Black Stuff and 1.046 for the Orkney Dark.. Can I use some porridge oats (with a glucan rest)instead of Torrified wheat for the third recipe as I forgot to order that too! :doh:

The Centennial will be fine. Actually I brewed it again with different hops, Aurora for bittering and Centennial for flavour/aroma, and it was fabulous.

I think using oats will be absolutely fine. And it's a proper Scottish ingredient innit?
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Thu Mar 19, 2015 21:51

Hoots mon! That's great, will have to wait till I have space now but will get on it as soon as I can. Going to do a EKG hop tea in the Orkney in a few days when the ferment has calmed a bit, hopefully to keep the aroma.....we,ll see. I'm looking forward to having 3 different dark brews to sample and experiment with in future.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 20:41

Bottled the Orkney Dark today, was at 1.006 for 3 days and a real fast ferment. Saved the yeast cake so I can reuse tomorrow when I do the last recipe you gave, just need to pick up some dextrose in the morning. The Black Stuff brew is a bit slower for some reason, was only at 1.030 2 days ago?
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Wed Mar 25, 2015 21:17

Odd. I bottled mine at 1014 after 11 days.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Mar 25, 2015 22:05

Yep, I find both brews odd really, the Orkney is the fastest I've ever had and the Black Stuff is very slow? They were side by side in the brewing wardrobe so I just don't know!
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Thu Mar 26, 2015 15:36

I'm sure both will turn out fine. Just go with the flow, and be patient. :thumb:
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sun Mar 29, 2015 20:14

Checked the Black Stuff earlier, it's at 1016 now, so I'll check again in a couple of days. The latest batch of Black Rye is now in the garage chillin, after a MTB ride yesterday with a mate, he insisted on trying one! I did say it was too new yet but gave in finally and it's soooo good, somehow I have to learn patience. :drink:
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Sat Apr 11, 2015 00:28

Any tasting updates?!
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Mon Apr 13, 2015 19:25

Hi, sorry, been a bit busy sorting my van ready to go away soon. Well, the Orkney was bottled on the 25.3. and the Black Stuff was bottled on the 1.4. Have tasted both and the Orkney is a great brew although still young. Its one I could drink a few of in the evening. The Black Stuff is very good too, just a slightly less "heavy" version of the Black Rye brew, so both winners. I've got a brew nearly readfy to bottle at the moment, but ill be doing another batch of the Orkney as soon as a can. Thanks again for these recipes, I hope a few others try them. Heres a pic of the Orkney I had earlier. cheers, Rob.

Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Tue Apr 14, 2015 09:01

That looks brilliant. I love that beer too, must make another batch. Have you done the Bobek brew yet?

The recipe below was my second version of the Orkney, I doubled the crystal from 3% to 6% and increased the choc from 3% to 4%, and used Aurora and Centennial hops, and it was fantastic, especially after a few weeks in the bottle. I made it with a friend as his first brew and we split the bottles and he couldn't believe it. I think this is a great recipe to play with. Try different crystals, Special B, crystal rye, choc rye etc. And vary the hops. I believe Orkney use First Gold and Goldings now, but the world's your oyster really.

Batch Size (L): 13.0
Original Gravity (OG): 1.047
Final Gravity (FG): 1.006
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 5.32 %
Colour (SRM): 18.5 (EBC): 36.4
Bitterness (IBU): 45.9
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 79
Boil Time (Minutes): 70

1.900 kg Maris Otter Malt (79%)
0.140 kg Brown Sugar, Light (6.0%)
0.140 kg Crystal 40 (6.0%)
0.120 kg Wheat Malt (5.0%)
0.100 kg Chocolate (4.0%)

Hop Bill
----------------
7.0 g Aurora Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes
7.0 g Aurora Leaf (9.3% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 15 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 5 Minutes
7.0 g Centennial Leaf (13.5% Alpha) @ 0 Minutes

Mashed 67°C for 75 Minutes. Boiled for 70 Minutes
Fermented with Mauribrew Ale 514 yeast
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Tue Apr 14, 2015 17:50

Cheers, more brews to do. Still not got the Bobek done.! I'm probably heading off to Cornwall soon to our caravan for a few weeks. Some of my beers are coming with me though. I have this need to get in the sea when I can and the suns out (at the moment) so we,ll make the most of it. Anyway, I'll have the others to do when I'm back. Just enjoying a Black Stuff as I type. Cheers for now. Rob.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Tue Apr 14, 2015 17:57

Sounds great. Enjoy.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Thu May 14, 2015 19:02

Well we're back now, weather wasn't great so came home, needed to brew anyway. Just bottled 32 bottles of the Bobek brew. Made a strong one and liqueured back to 1.047, it's finished at 1.002. I've also got 15ltrs of Black Rye going, it's at 1.012 so that'll be bottled soon. I will try the Orkney brew #2 as soon as I can, need more grains etc. Also now it's warming up, my garage isn't so suitable for storage and I'm in the process of sorting a new fridge freezer so I can get our fridge for the beers!!!!!!!
Robdob
Brewer

PreviousNext