Stove top Partial Mash

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: Stove top Partial Mash

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Sun Nov 06, 2016 13:18

Robdob wrote:Hi P2M! How's things? I've been very slack all summer brewing wise but I'm back home now and have done two. I did the Black Rye and let it ferment 12 days while I was away, bottled that yesterday and brewed an Orkney Dark Island today! Need to get a few done and stocked up for winter. Hope all's well with you.

Hi Rob. I'm very well thanks, had a very slack summer too, recently done a kit hack brew and a partial mash pale ale, planning a brown ale and a red ale to do over the next week or so, ten litre batch of each. Both partial mashes with DME. Found my way back from AG. I find partial mashes quicker and easier, and good quality beer. Still up for doing AGs though. The hacked kit is pretty good too. Just steeped some grain and did a short hop boil.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 19:34

[/quote]

Hi Rob. I'm very well thanks, had a very slack summer too, recently done a kit hack brew and a partial mash pale ale, planning a brown ale and a red ale to do over the next week or so, ten litre batch of each. Both partial mashes with DME. Found my way back from AG. I find partial mashes quicker and easier, and good quality beer. Still up for doing AGs though. The hacked kit is pretty good too. Just steeped some grain and did a short hop boil.[/quote]

Hi, good to hear from you again and that your brewing too. I must do the Red ale recipe you put up as I bought grains ages ago! I've just come in from checking my Orkney Dark, it's at 1.012 from 1.048 after liquering? back, only been 6 days so I'll leave it a bit yet as I know enthusiasm gets the better of me sometimes!! I'm going to do your IPA next as it was my first AG and by mistake added too much Caramalt but it turned out so good. Cheers for now.

Rob.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Sun Nov 06, 2016 23:41

Robdob wrote:Hi, good to hear from you again and that your brewing too. I must do the Red ale recipe you put up as I bought grains ages ago! I've just come in from checking my Orkney Dark, it's at 1.012 from 1.048 after liquering? back, only been 6 days so I'll leave it a bit yet as I know enthusiasm gets the better of me sometimes!! I'm going to do your IPA next as it was my first AG and by mistake added too much Caramalt but it turned out so good. Cheers for now.

I should do that IPA again myself, was a very long time ago that one. Cheers.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Wed Nov 16, 2016 21:21

Well, the Orkney is bottled and approx 12ltrs. Of IPA fermenting now. I did up the recipe on Brewsmith to try and get 18 ltrs. but I lost a few ltrs. With a lot of cold break in the bottom of the kettle! I didn't fancy adding it to the FV. I'll just have to brew another straight after and reuse the yeast cake, seems to work well for me. Have you been able to get your IPA started yet?
Robdob
Brewer

Postby Partial_to_Mash » Wed Nov 16, 2016 23:46

Robdob wrote:Well, the Orkney is bottled and approx 12ltrs. Of IPA fermenting now. I did up the recipe on Brewsmith to try and get 18 ltrs. but I lost a few ltrs. With a lot of cold break in the bottom of the kettle! I didn't fancy adding it to the FV. I'll just have to brew another straight after and reuse the yeast cake, seems to work well for me. Have you been able to get your IPA started yet?

No I haven't yet, and I have some other brews lined up first tbh. A brown, a red and a stout! But I will do the IPA, I love Columbus in an IPA. It's a very simple tasty beer.

I don't worry about adding kettle trub to the FV. I don't think it does any harm and there are brewers who believe it leads to clearer beer. It also settles down after primary fermentation has subsided, if you allow it some time.
Partial_to_Mash
Brewer

Previous