How to do a Partial Boil "Small Pot" Extract brew

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Postby oakers73 » Mon May 05, 2014 16:23

Disclaimer no.1: This is only the way that I do it. I am not suggesting that this is the best way but is one way. :-)
Disclaimer no.2: This method is not mine, it has been influenced by many more experienced brewers in Internet land, not least Tubby_Shaw's excellent full boil extract method in another place.

So what is a partial boil extract brew? Well it is as the name suggests a brew using malt extract that does not boil the entire volume of Wort, but instead boils a smaller amount which is then topped up to full brew length.

Step One: Recipe and shopping list.

Here's today's recipe if you want to follow it. It is an American Pale Ale.
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Peter Fonda
Author: Chris Oakley

Brew Method: Extract
Style Name: American Pale Ale
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 11 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.106
Efficiency: 35% (steeping grains only)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.25%
IBU (tinseth): 38.04
SRM (morey): 5.34

FERMENTABLES:
3 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Extra Light (77.9%)
0.1 kg - Dry Malt Extract - Wheat (2.6%)

STEEPING GRAINS:
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Crystal 30L (6.5%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Lager (6.5%)
0.25 kg - United Kingdom - Wheat (6.5%)

HOPS:
15 g - Galena, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 12.95
15 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 5.36
15 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 6.58
15 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 4.25
15 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 3.46
15 g - Amarillo, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 8.6, Use: Boil for 0 min
15 g - Cascade, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 7, Use: Boil for 0 min
15 g - citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 15 min, IBU: 5.44
15 g - citra, Type: Leaf/Whole, AA: 11, Use: Boil for 0 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
10 g - irish moss, Time: 15 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - English Ale Yeast S-04
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (avg): 72%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 15 - 23.89 C
Fermentation Temp: 20 C

NOTES:
2nd American Pale Ale....

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2014-05-05 14:16 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2014-05-05 13:08 UTC

Step Two. Equipment.

One of the main advantages of extract brewing is you don't need that much more kit than you would find in an everyday kitchen. The only thing you might not have is a great big stock pot. The one I use is 15 litre stainless steel pot sourced relatively cheaply off the internet. This allows me to do 11 litre boils with plenty of headroom to avoid the dreaded boil over. Here is my equipment list for today's brew.

A 15 stock pot
A smaller oven safe pot for the mini mash
Scales
A big metal spoon
Thermometer
A muslin bag
A wort chiller (optional)

Things you will find useful
A jug
A big mixing type bowl
A stainless steel sieve
A turkey baster.

Step Three: The Mini Mash

Put your oven on to warm to about 70 degrees C. Weigh out your steeping grains and transfer to the muslin bag. Tip: do the transfer outside if you don't want grain dust all over your kitchen. Tie a knot in the bag.

Put 4 litres of brewing water in to the smaller oven pot and place the bag of grains in the water. Place this on the stove and get it up to mash temp of 65 degrees C. Once up to temperature, transfer the pot to the oven for a 90 minute mash/steep. Every 15 minutes or so, agitate the bag gently (Do Not Squeeze, it will release tannins and make your beer bitter) and check the temp. It took me a while to find the sweet spot on the oven temp dial.

Whilst the grains are mashing then you can weigh your hops and malt extract out. I am using dry malt extract here but have had great results with liquid as well.

All weighed out.
You may benefit from labelling your additions, I just lay them out in order.

With about 45 minutes of your mash gone, put about 6 litres of water in to the big pot, put the lid on and get it warmed up to near boiling.

Now is also a good time to connect your Wort chiller up if you Are using one, ensure it works with no leaks and set aside ready for use.

Once 90 minutes is up, take the mash pot out of your oven and it should look like this.

Take the grain bag out and hold it above the mash pot to drain. Again, do not squeeze. Aside the bag to a large mixing bowl for sparge in a short while.

Step Four: The Boil.

Transfer your mash liquid to the big pot with the warming water. Remove the pot from the heat temporarily (removing the heat prevents the extract scorching on the bottom of the pan) Then take your malt extract and add it to the water. Stir well as you add the extract with your big metal spoon.

Bring the uncovered pan up to the boil. If you cover it up you stand the chance of letting some unwanted nasties that should be boiled off get their way back into your beer by dripping back in in the form of condensation. Leave the lid off :-)

NB: watch the pan and do not let it boil over! A hot sticky oven hob is sure to get someone annoyed.

Whilst your watching the big pot you can bring a litre of water up to about 70 degrees and add it to the mixing bowl with the grain bag to sparge some more sugars and flavour out of that grain. Once well sparged add the liquid to the boil pot.

You can also turn your oven up to 200 degrees C and chuck your clean stainless steel sieve in there to sanitise

Step 5: Hop additions guest starring the Hot Break.

As the Wort comes up to the boil add your 60 minute bittering hops. In this recipe the Galena. Give them a stir and let them do their thing. NB watch carefully for a boil over as they go in!

Continue to boil and at 30 minutes in add your 30 minute hop additions. These will add some bittering but also some flavour.

During this boil this addition seemed to kick off the "Hot Break" where some of the proteins come out of the malt and resemble little bits of scrambled egg. This is a GOOD thing. It can however happen at any time during the boil.

15 minutes from the end of the boil we need to add yet more hops for flavour and aroma, our kettle finings ( I used irish moss 1 tsp) and if using a wort cooler this is a great time to get it in so it is nice and sanitised.

15 min hops Image
Cooler in and sanitising: Image

After 15 minutes are up, turn the heat off and add your flame out hops. Leave the pan for 15 minutes for these hops to do their thing. These hops are here for aroma and taste and will add little to no bittering. All about the flavour these bad boys.

Whilst the wort is steeping it is a good time to get your Fermentation vessel a jug and your long plastic homebrew spoon sanitized ready to take the Wort. Also get your Sieve out the oven to cool :)

Step 6: Cooling the Wort.

In the pictures you will see I used a Wort cooler but there are alternatives such as transferring your pot to an ice bath. Either way, it is important to get your Wort cooled quickly so you can get your yeast pitched minimising the risk of infection. It goes without saying that whilst your Wort is a boiling mass of sugar it is a pretty inhospitable place....Lower the temperature and this all changes, it's a great place for all sorts of things to live in it. So once the temperature is down, work fast and work clean :)

One advantage of partial boil is that you do not need to get the Wort right down to Yeast pitching temperature as you are going to top it up with a load of ambient temp water. I find with an 11 litre boil then 38 degrees is cool enough to be at around 21C when topped up.

Step 7: transferring Wort to FV

Once down to temperature it is time to transfer your Wort to your FV. Use your sanitised jug and sieve to transfer it to the FV. It is useful to have the big mixing bowl close to discard your boiled hops from the sieve into as you go.

You'll end up with this mess...

Now top the wort up to the desired brew length with water. I let it fall from a height to help aerate the wort.

All that's left to do now is to use your great big sanitized spoon to stir and mix and aerate the Wort. I usually use a sanitized turkey baster to take a sample to check Original Gravity...

Pics of topping up process

Once topped up and aerated it will look like this...final temperature check and if it is less than 24c then pitch your yeast, seal your lid and let the Yeast do its thing.

This one was 21C and OG of 1054.

Hope you all found this useful! Happy brewing

Chris

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Last edited by oakers73 on Mon May 05, 2014 19:03, edited 7 times in total.
oakers73
Brewer

Re: How to do a Partial Boil "Small Pot" Extract brew

Postby oakers73 » Mon May 05, 2014 16:32

oakers73
Brewer

Re: How to do a Partial Boil

Postby Oldstunty » Wed May 07, 2014 21:58

Fantastic read :thumb:
This is now on my to do list, after a couple more kits to get my confidence up.
I was looking into biab, but space and money have scuppered that at the moment. :(
Where do you buy the ingredients from?

cheers,
Jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Wed May 07, 2014 22:09

I use my local home brew shops mostly. where are you based? I am in the black country and use Harris Home brew and Brewmonkey. Online retailers are also good but be prepared to pay postage fees so planning a few brews ahead helps. I find the The Homebrew company are pretty cheap for liquid malt extract and dry malt extract. shop around for hops at malt Miller or ebay? There is an eBay seller for hops that is cheap and does not charge postage.

sent from the outer circle of hell using a slightly manky carrier pigeon.
oakers73
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Wed May 07, 2014 22:10

P.S Glad you enjoyed the read. First one I have done.

oakers73
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Thu May 08, 2014 06:31

Cheers for the fast reply.
based just south of brum. Nearest lhbs is brew genie and they deliver to my
post code free over £30. I'll have to shop around as they are hit and miss price wise.

Cheers,

jon.

I enjoy a glass of wine each night for its health benefits. The other glasses are for my witty comebacks and flawless dance moves.
Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Thu May 08, 2014 11:28

Brilliant write up :) Thanks. It's pretty much how I do it with LME. The hot break you mention has cleared up the 'scrambled egg' effect I get. I've had it happen right near the start of the boil too! ...... I was wondering about that.
Pjam
Brewer

Postby graysalchemy » Thu May 08, 2014 11:35

Great write up. :thumb:

Do you compensate for the fact that boiling a higher gravity of wort requires a larger amount of hops than if it was a lower abv, due to increased inefficiencies.

graysalchemy

Postby donny70 » Thu May 08, 2014 12:54

Top quality description of the whole process there. I just get my app to work out the extra hops for the smaller boil I do. I also use my biab bag after I'm finished with the grain and pour all the boiled wort through that into the barrel. Never thought of using the oven though. Great idea!! :)
donny70
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Thu May 08, 2014 13:33

As Donny says...my brewers friend app works out the hops based on a partial boil volume. I have overdone it with bitterness hops in the past though based on this.

oakers73
Brewer

Postby donny70 » Thu May 08, 2014 19:01

oakers73 wrote:As Donny says...my brewers friend app works out the hops based on a partial boil volume. I have overdone it with bitterness hops in the past though based on this.

I used to be lazy and just throw half the dme in at the end of the boil to keep the gravity down when boiling. I never had any problems with bitterness but I'm sure it might have been out by a few percent sometimes :lol:
donny70
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Thu May 08, 2014 19:06

I guess that could work. Have seen people on youtube do half extract in at start of boil and rest 15 minutes from the end. I think my excess bitterness was due to using Galena for the first time trying to clone my local micros house bitter. They gave me their bulk recipe with called for 65 ibu ' s. Think Brewer's Friend led me to overload the Galena. Have scaled it back a bit for both subsequent Galena based brews and they have been superb. Even the one where the bitterness was up is fading to a really nice drink.:-)

oakers73
Brewer

Postby donny70 » Thu May 08, 2014 22:45

All my ibus are probably out all the time but as long as the beer recipe is standardized every time to your methods and it tastes good. That's all that matters. :)
donny70
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Thu May 08, 2014 22:51

And it does....drinking one in front of question time as I speak..

oakers73
Brewer

Postby donny70 » Fri May 09, 2014 02:43

Fantastic!! :)
donny70
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Tue May 13, 2014 21:15

Down to 1010SG and smelling and tasting great......probably in the bottles and kegs before the weekend.

oakers73
Brewer

Postby Chris2304 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:30

I've been searching for a good explanation of extract brewing for a while and this is superb - the photos are great and I love the handy little tips you throw in.

This is still an aspiration, rather than reality right now, but you've made this seem 'do-able' - thanks!
Chris2304
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 22:43

Chris 2304,

It's a doddle really. ...Zero black art. Glad you enjoyed it. Give it a try.
oakers73
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sat Oct 18, 2014 09:40

Superb write up! Thanks. I'm really keen to try this at some point. I'm very new to brewing and am only into day 4 since I brewed my first effort (a kit) I'll get there eventually but can you just explain please? The hops on your list that have no boil time, are they the ones that go in last as the wort is resting (flame out hops?) And when the chiller goes in to be sanitised, what if there's nasties on it,do they get killed off and not have any effect on the wort? Sorry for the Newb questions, it's probably obvious but I need to be sure I'm thinking straight.

Thanks, Rob.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:03

Oldstunty wrote:Cheers for the fast reply.
post code free over £30. I'll have to shop around as they are hit and miss price wise.

Cheers,

jon.

Where are you Jon? I live in Longbridge and work in Bromsgrove :)
robwalker
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:13

Robdog. ..you are bang on about the hops. They are flame out steep hops. Turn the flame off, chuck them in and I usually leave to steep for 15 minutes before cooling. The wort chiller is clean but not sanitised. By putting it in the boiling wort for the last 15 minutes you are sanitising and hopefully getting rid of any nasties.
oakers73
Brewer

Postby Oldstunty » Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:22

robwalker wrote:
Oldstunty wrote:Cheers for the fast reply.

Cheers,

jon.

Where are you Jon? I live in Longbridge and work in Bromsgrove :)

I live in Tamworth, mate.

Oldstunty
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sat Oct 18, 2014 15:09

oakers73 wrote:Robdog. ..you are bang on about the hops. They are flame out steep hops. Turn the flame off, chuck them in and I usually leave to steep for 15 minutes before cooling. The wort chiller is clean but not sanitised. By putting it in the boiling wort for the last 15 minutes you are sanitising and hopefully getting rid of any nasties.

That's great thanks, so by using the heat of the boil on the cooler, that's the same as using Starsan then. I'll make sure I'm getting the basic brewing right with my 2 kits I have, then have a go at this.
Thanks again, pictures make it all so much easier to understand too.
Rob.
Robdob
Brewer

Postby beeker » Tue Nov 11, 2014 17:19

Brilliant "How To". Thanks. Reckon I'm going to try this for my next brew.

Planning: Festival Razorback IPA
Fermenting: Young's American IPA
Conditioning: Bulldog Four Finger Jack, Ultimate Brewery Classics American Pale Ale, Young's American Pale Ale
Drinking: Williams Bros Joker and Ceasar Augustus (commercial)
beeker
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Sun Nov 16, 2014 20:39

Managed to get gifted a 15 ltr stainless pot earlier from a neighbour I helped. I tested the heat retention of our cool box and found it only lost .8 c after 90 mins. Can I do the mash in this rather than the dish in the oven part, as I don't have an oven safe dish big enough. Hopefully I'll get to Maltmiller for some grains and get my first partial boil going.
Robdob
Brewer

Next