How to...build a fermentation fridge

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: How to...build a fermentation fridge

Postby Gethin79 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 17:32

I've just watched the video of making a "keezer". God I want one.

Yours looks a bit more the size I'd go for but we need another "How to"....

How to persuade the other half to allow room in the house for a kegerator

:D

And of course I'd need 2...one for ales set at 12℃, and another colder one for lagers etc... :whistle:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby CraftyTim » Sun Sep 07, 2014 08:30

[quote="Gethin79"]

/quote]

This is how I did it: first of all buy two larder fridges for bottle storage/ keg serving and fermentation and install next to a window in a room in the house, make sure it is the room where your planned kegerator is going to go. Some of the light from the window will be blocked by the fridges leading to complaints, reassure her with homebrew and kindly words that one day "all will be well, this is just a temporary situation as the plan is to move the fridges into the garage when I have created space in the garage."

Watch eBay for a suitable chest freezer, it can take months, during these months you have been reassuring her with 'free' delicious homebrew that she has become accustomed to drinking whilst still providing assurances that the fridges will be moved and full light will be restored to the room.

Once you have found the chest freezer announce to her that you will be moving the fridges out of the house, she will clap and jump for joy, but also announce that in order to improve the serving of beer arrangement, which has been awkward so far ( controlling portion size is frustrating for her), you have this great idea of a kegerator with taps and she can just help herself to delicious homebrew whenever she wants, no portion control all gratis. The added bonus is that light from the window is restored to the room which provides deep down happiness and karma is restored.

Move the fridges, install kegerator, WIN, WIN :D

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy :D
CraftyTim
Brewer

Postby brugen » Thu Sep 18, 2014 21:12

Thanks for a great "How to....". I built the control system today and it works much to my surprise as a non electrician. Wooden base and Timothy Taylors Landlord brew in the fridge at the weekend.

Thanks

brugen
brugen
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 20:32

CraftyTim wrote:
Gethin79 wrote:

/quote]

This is how I did it: first of all buy two larder fridges for bottle storagoe/ keg serving and fermentation and install next to a window in a room in the house, make sure it is the room where your planned kegerator is going to go. Some of the light from the window will be blocked by the fridges leading to complaints, reassure her with homebrew and kindly words that one day "all will be well, this is just a temporary situation as the plan is to move the fridges into the garage when I have created space in the garage."

Watch eBay for a suitable chest freezer, it can take months, during these months you have been reassuring her with 'free' delicious homebrew that she has become accustomed to drinking whilst still providing assurances that the fridges will be moved and full light will be restored to the room.

Once you have found the chest freezer announce to her that you will be moving the fridges out of the house, she will clap and jump for joy, but also announce that in order to improve the serving of beer arrangement, which has been awkward so far ( controlling portion size is frustrating for her), you have this great idea of a kegerator with taps and she can just help herself to delicious homebrew whenever she wants, no portion control all gratis. The added bonus is that light from the window is restored to the room which provides deep down happiness and karma is restored.

Move the fridges, install kegerator, WIN, WIN :D

:lol:

I like your style!!
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 20:33

brugen wrote:Thanks for a great "How to....". I built the control system today and it works much to my surprise as a non electrician. Wooden base and Timothy Taylors Landlord brew in the fridge at the weekend.

Thanks

brugen

Glad it helped. Good luck with your brews! :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Mon Feb 09, 2015 15:57

Cheers for this, nice and simple.

I assume you're not rewiring the fridge in any way then? With mine, I chopped the back off and wired into SSRs, then into a brewpi.

I'm about to do a cheaper build - the brewpi will be used where I'm looking to get the temperature spot on and have staged profiles for wheatbeers & maybe even a lager this year.

The 2nd is to be used primarily as "a fridge" however the plan is also to use it as 'overflow' ie when the brewpi fridge is full.

Really need some new fermentation buckets - I got a load from the Malt Miller and they're great but I think I need a couple more.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 01:45

No, there was no rewiring of the fridge, although I know some people do. I chose the simple route, which for my purposes worked a treat.

I've just built another one of these in exactly the same way, for my kegerator...my fridges are breeding...and I think my cornies will too soon :whistle:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:44

Funnily enough this weekend we got the STC-1000, project box, extension cables etc and wired it all up... wrong.

I was doing my usual making the workers cups of tea and bacon sandwiches whilst we ran electrical cable over the ceiling and down the walls. Later that evening we were working on the STC-1000 box and I came across them with two lamps trying to get them to turn on.

We could hear the relays firing, but nothing was actually happening. This was of course because we'd just wired the live and neutral into the relays and not using a common block for the neutrals and using the relays to switch the current.

I think by this point everyone was suffering hypothermia which may explain a lot. We're usually fine with electronics, but all three of us looked and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. I emailed the seller asking for a replacement, but he sent me a link to "the other place" where the diagram you've got probably originates. And yes, we'd pretty much mucked it up.

Nevermind... there's always next weekend. Fortunately I only needed the one fridge this weekend.

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Wed Feb 18, 2015 15:24

I assume you just stick the fridge temperature right down low?

I have rewired and it works fine.

Tim

tim_n
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Wed Feb 18, 2015 20:18

tim_n wrote:I assume you just stick the fridge temperature right down low?

Yes to crash cool at temps below the fridge thermostats minimum setting you need to bypass it.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 18:24

I have set my thermostat to minimum. It depends which fridge you have. Mine will get down to below freezing without bypassing the thermostat. Others may only get down to maybe 3 or 4℃.

Try setting your fridge to minimum and see what temperature it gets down to, then you will know if you need to bypass the thermostat or not. :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby martindisorder » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:34

Just finished building my first FF thanks for this guide couldn't of done it without this.
martindisorder
Brewer

Postby Gethin79 » Fri Jun 19, 2015 18:46

You're welcome! :thumb:
Gethin79
Brewer

Postby Robdob » Tue Jun 23, 2015 22:18

Great how to Gethin! Just got my FF up and running with no dramas thanks to this thread. Thanks for making it so straight forward!
Cheers, Rob
Robdob
Brewer

Postby DethApostle » Wed Jul 01, 2015 09:36

Will be embarking on this exact build in the next few weeks once my ebay shopping has turned up!
Thanks for the 'how to', it's probably the best idiots guide I've seen while trawling t' web looking into this!

DA

Serving: AG37: Smoked Chipotle Porter, AG41: Maibock
Bottled: AG3: The GPSE, AG14: Plum Porter, AG 25: Russian Imperial Stout
Conditioning: AG42: Rye Saison
Fermenting: AG43: Banoffe Gose
Planning: AG44: tbc
--------------------------
Brewed in 2012: 200 pints
Brewed in 2013: 560 pints
Brewed in 2014: 360 pints
Brewed in 2015: 280 pints
Brewed in 2016: 320 pints
Brewed in 2017: 200 pints
DethApostle
Brewer

Postby dangby » Wed Jul 15, 2015 18:54

Just finished my first FF too. Can't wait to get the next brew on!
Thanks for the great How To guide, made it all straight forward.
dangby
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Fri Jul 17, 2015 16:14

anyone using an updated stc1000+ may be interested in adding a small Rf transmitter to the programming header added to flash the stc1000 and this small arduino project to create a remote logging box saving the fridge temp to an sd card every 48 seconds..

https://github.com/hunnimonstr/Stc1000-RFlogger

all you need is an stc1000 with the firmware 1.08 from
https://github.com/matsstaff/stc1000p

A pair of Rf Rx and Tx boards
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/433mhz-RF-Tra ... 23415a5619

an arduino uno
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Arduino-Compa ... 4ad536d7a3

and a datalogging shield or seperate rtc and sd modules.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Data-Logging- ... 25a97d8c1b

and a few leds resistors, a box and battery/psu to power it.
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby 4011 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 17:55

Hi all ..just got a stc and don't think I've got room in my fridge for a tube heater so was wondering it anyone has tried using one of those ceramic reptiles bulbs for the heat and is it ok to mount it at the top of the fridge ...any ideas on the wots I should buy ...much appreciated ...cheers

Trying to keep it simple.... :thumb:
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:30

Why haven't you got room the tube heaters don't take up much room?

Next Brew AG. 62
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby PhatFil » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:41

4011 wrote:Hi all ..just got a stc and don't think I've got room in my fridge for a tube heater so was wondering it anyone has tried using one of those ceramic reptiles bulbs for the heat and is it ok to mount it at the top of the fridge ...any ideas on the wots I should buy ...much appreciated ...cheers

afaik they have been used in a few fridges BUT you need to take care where u mount them as they can melt the inner plastic shell of a fridge if mounted too close :doh:
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Sat Jul 25, 2015 20:57

I have room for a tube heater on the floor next to the fermenter, they don't take up much space.

GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby 4011 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 09:30

Hello ..been thinking and if mount the tube heater on a bit of wood I can move it when I want to cool a keg cheers

Trying to keep it simple.... :thumb:
Brewer

Postby Bertie » Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:33

I did this yesterday and it seems to be working very well (I'm highly chuffed). The one thing that was very disappointing was that I bought the wrong type of controller from ebay - it only takes in cooling or heating. I'll just have to pay attention to the weather.
Bertie
Brewer

Postby Jimbo75 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:40

Hi all,

I have just ordered all the parts to do this myself as I have an old fridge out in the shed which we inherited upon moving into our current house. I plan on doing the work as soon as the last few parts arrive but whilst I am confident(ish) with the wiring and general set up I am concerned about the fridge's built in thermostat.

It's an AEG full height fridge with no freezer compartment and an LCD read out and control panel to change the temp. What I just can't get my head around is whether or not I will need to bypass the thermostat and if so how do I do it? Surely if I set it all up as per Gethin's how-to and set the STC-1000 to 18 degrees for example the fridge will naturally try to bring the temperature down to whatever it's thermostat is set at? A couple of the previous posts mentioned setting the fridge thermostat to it's lowest temp but won't the fridge then just be permanently fighting against the dimplex heater in that case? Any help greatly appreciated!
Jimbo75
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:19

The stc-1000 will turn the fridge off before the built in thermostat has chance to bring it down to its set temperature

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

PreviousNext