An introduction to extract brewing

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

An introduction to extract brewing

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 23:30

I noticed there wasnt a thread in here relating to info about extract brewing.
Does anyone have any good starting off guides etc and maybe the best write up could replace this post?

I would certainly like to start looking in to and planning my next steps in brewing, moving up the ladder from kits.

I understand i am going to need to invest in buying or building a boiler and a chiller for this so any tips on DIY setups would be handy, along with any tried and tested store bought equipment.

Timings, methods, hop schedules, steeping, all sorts of things like that would be beneficial too for someone like me who is yet to encounter these new(ish) terms.

Thanks.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Re: An introduction to extract brewing

Postby PhatFil » Sat Apr 30, 2016 02:13

an extract brew is essentially the same as a kit brew with the addition of a couple of hop teas or infusions in the brew bucket with everything else to provide the hop input to the beer. so no extra equipment needed..

Sign up on Jims beer kit another well regarded brewing forum where there are more resources and some great basic how to write ups..

A good old fashioned book might be what you need to thumb through and get inspired ;)
www.amazon.co.uk/Big-Book-Brewing-Dave- ... 1854862359
or
www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Real-CAMRA-G ... am+wheeler

I think Grahams TTL recipe has to be the UKs most frequently brewed beer ;)
PhatFil
Brewer

Postby Rolfster » Sat Apr 30, 2016 15:47

Bergland do good pots.
Extract brews don't need big pots (I think) so you may not need one yet. If your going to get one my advise is go big once, instead of a few pots that get progressively bigger.
Also making your own immersion chiller is very easy!
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby Brycey » Sat Apr 30, 2016 17:15

I would say if your thinking of going all grain at some point just skip extract and dive straight in. I bought a large stock pot for doing extract and only made one brew then moved to all grain. Dont get me wrong the one i made was really nice and better than the few kits i made. Extract is a pretty expensive way to brew and if your planning on going all grain save the money and put it towards a nice shiney boiler.
Just my two bobs worth :thumb:

B
Brycey
Brewer

Postby gregles » Mon May 02, 2016 14:09

There is a great how to here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2024
gregles
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Tue May 03, 2016 13:23

gregles wrote:There is a great how to here viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2024

Excellent, thanks for that!
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Tue May 03, 2016 13:26

So is the general consensus here that I cut out the extract method altogether?
It seems like a massive jump for someone who is only two kit brews in. I don't want to be on kit's forever, but until we move house in a few months (hopefully) I'm also stuck for the space to have all my AG equipment stored, let alone in use!

I'm in no urgent rush, as some people have pointed out that the experience gained by what I am doing now is invaluable, but i would like to make the leap and move away from kit's when the time is right.
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue May 03, 2016 13:44

Brew In A Bag requires the same amount of kit as extract (*) , but is all grain.

3Kg of Dry Malt Extract is expensive . . 5Kg of Grain is cheap

(*) Ok not strictly true as you need a square of voile to line your pot, but you'll save more buying grain than extract than your voile will cost.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Tue May 03, 2016 14:14

Aleman wrote:Brew In A Bag requires the same amount of kit as extract (*) , but is all grain.

3Kg of Dry Malt Extract is expensive . . 5Kg of Grain is cheap

(*) Ok not strictly true as you need a square of voile to line your pot, but you'll save more buying grain than extract than your voile will cost.

So you think BIAB is the best way to go?
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue May 03, 2016 14:29

As an introduction it's excellent . . . indeed I have come back to it from having multiple 3V breweries.

Plus if you go for a large full volume pot from the outset you have a HLT or Kettle should you ever decide to go to 3V in the future.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Tue May 03, 2016 14:36

Aleman wrote:As an introduction it's excellent . . . indeed I have come back to it from having multiple 3V breweries.

Plus if you go for a large full volume pot from the outset you have a HLT or Kettle should you ever decide to go to 3V in the future.

Ok cool.
I need to nerd up a little bit on all the terminologies etc, but I'll read up on it.
Presumably this would be a good place to begin reading?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=213&hilit=biab
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue May 03, 2016 14:51

Calums Intro guide is perfect. :thumb:

Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer