Brewing your First BIAB AG Beer

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Re: Brewing your First BIAB AG Beer

Postby calumscott » Thu Jun 05, 2014 14:57

stuart180 wrote:Thanks for the reply, so If I get a copper immersion chiller then I could just chill it in the Boiler and then transfer to the FV

Yup! :thumb:
calumscott
Admin

Postby stuart180 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:04

Awesome, thanks.
Having a big clear out of old bits and bobs that I don't use any more to raise some money for the kit needed.
I'm back and forth on kit at the moment, was going 'Shiny' to start with but had a roof problem that ate up a lot of cash, then was going to go for a cheaper plastic electrim bin but people don't see to rate them as much, so now back to Shiny! lol

Hopefully will be able to start getting some of the kit next week.

Will be sure to post up some pic.

Thanks again.
stuart180
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:28

Electrims are small is the problem. Remember with BIAB you need space for:

1) the finished beer
2) the boil off volume
3) the grain
4) the volume absorbed by the grain (it doesn't get absorbed instantly!)
5) the volume absorbed by the hops
6) the volume lost to the crud at the bottom on draining the boiler

I have a 70l pot and only *just* squeeze in enough to get 40l to the FV.
calumscott
Admin

Postby stuart180 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:37

Yes, that was the main problem, I didn't want to have to mess about with topping up etc.

I'm going to go for a 50l pot as I will be looking to aim for 23l into the FV so a 50l should be perfect for the job.
I'd rather get the kit I really want than go cheap and then end up upgrading sooner or later, just means saving up for a bit longer.
stuart180
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:39

That was where I started from.

But then I realised that the investment in time brewing AG made it more worthwhile to brew bigger lengths more often.

I was intending to go 3 Vessel but haven't finished the brewery yet (two years later... :lol: ) and BIAB is still working out just great for me.
calumscott
Admin

Postby AFewTooMany » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:40

stuart180 wrote:Yes, that was the main problem, I didn't want to have to mess about with topping up etc.

I'm going to go for a 50l pot as I will be looking to aim for 23l into the FV so a 50l should be perfect for the job.
I'd rather get the kit I really want than go cheap and then end up upgrading sooner or later, just means saving up for a bit longer.

50 litre pot is great. Can do a standard 23 litre brew with around 10 - 15 litres of headroom. Max out around 10% as the biggest beer you can fit in without sparing so more than enough

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:47

Nice one, just need to be good with money for a while now :?

Does give me plenty of time to keep reading up on things, so hopefully come brew day, I wont completely balls it all up.
:cheers:
stuart180
Brewer

Postby AFewTooMany » Thu Jun 05, 2014 15:55

stuart180 wrote:Nice one, just need to be good with money for a while now :?

Does give me plenty of time to keep reading up on things, so hopefully come brew day, I wont completely balls it all up.
:cheers:

Can't recommend BIABacus enough. Takes all the thinking out of the first brew. It has a clever auto efficiency calculator for your kettle size (dimensions). Just plug in your recipe and it adjusts it for your kit, calculates water level and temp for mashing in and hop AA convertor all built in

Work is the curse of the drinking classes
AFewTooMany
Brewer

Postby stuart180 » Thu Jun 05, 2014 16:57

Ah cool, I downloaded the BIABacus the other day and entered the Rookie recipe you did, so its all loaded, just need the kit now to have a go. Cant wait to get going.
stuart180
Brewer

Postby Smudge » Wed Jun 11, 2014 06:53

Fantastic guide which has swayed me to BIAB, so I'll start my list of equipment, with a 50l stock pot and a gas burner. Anyone point me in the right direction to a decent burner?

Moving with the present, while respecting the past.
Smudge
Brewer

Postby Moley » Wed Jun 11, 2014 06:54

Moley

Postby Bribie G » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:44

Brilliant guide.

Back in the early days when home brewers became dissatisfied with the kit beers of the day such as Tom Caxton or Edme, good though they were, and all grain brewing was explored then quite obviously the way to go was to make a miniature version of the tried and tested Victorian Tower Brewery model that had served us well for a century or two.

encyclopedia brewing.png
encyclopedia brewing.png (172.97 KiB) Viewed 4992 times

That model has until recently been the "given" solution and gave rise to the 3 vessel system. BIAB thought outside the square and came up with the brilliant solution that you didn't need to remove the wort from the grain, you can remove the grain from the wort and still end up with the wort. :clap:

Couple of points:

BIAB is perfectly suited to using an electric boiler such as a Buffalo 40 litre model so with the addition of a bag you have a "turn key" brewery out of the box.

You don't need a bag as such, a hemmed circle of Swiss Voile material gathered together and hoisted with a hangman's noose gives you not only a perfect teardrop "bag" when hoisted, but has no seams and is virtually everlasting, and is cheap.

Cheers

:cheers1:
Bribie G
Brewer

Postby Smudge » Fri Jul 18, 2014 15:14

Calum, :notworthy: Many thanks for this guide. I used it on Thursday to complete my first BIAB, and it was a god send guiding me through the basic principles of this method. I used the method to make the Dennis King Galaxy Delight. I have put the wort into the FV today and look forward to sampling it in due course. As this has went fairly well I am looking for a couple of other recipies to try out using BIAB. I have got the Greg Hughes book Home Brew Beer, and I am going to use the recipes in this Amarillo Single Hop ale, and East Kent Golding Single Hop ale for my next brews. Have you tried any of these recipes or can you point me towards others you have tried using BIAB. I have a 50 litres pot and am looking to make 23 litres batches.
Once again many thanks, :hat:

Smudge
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Fri Jul 18, 2014 16:46

I haven't tried any of the Greg Hughes ones as I don't have the book.

I have however done some of Graham Wheeler's ones and they're excellent.

I do have to bugger about with the efficiency and volumes and stuff to get them to work but Beersmith is superb for that.

I did a few 23l brews in my 70l but the boil off rates will be very different I guess... How well did your numbers work out?
calumscott
Admin

Postby Smudge » Fri Jul 18, 2014 18:10

I got just under 23litres from an initial 35 litres, I didn't remove all the wort from the kettle, as it was very, cloudy/ sludge. Also I left a litre in the cube as that was similar. Whether brewing on Thursday in the hot temperature had some affect on my evaporation rate I don't know. Hopefully on my next brews I will get better efficiency rates.

Smudge
Brewer

Postby crispylettuce » Thu Oct 30, 2014 14:10

Great guide calumscott - was really helpful for walking through my first BIAB.

I used a Buffalo 40l (with a tap similar to rpt's How To...), and made a recipe from Graham Wheeler BYOBRA book. Despite many reccommendations I didnt use BIABarcus in the end, and stuck with BrewMate software. After I have done a couple of brews im going to revisit BIABarcus to see if it will be more useful in the future.
crispylettuce
Brewer

Postby Diggerg » Thu Sep 17, 2015 12:19

tim_n wrote:I use a hop sock with my BIAB - no straining as such. Good guide :)

Where did you get your hop sock from Tim?

Fermenting 15ltrs Hobgoblin clone AG#2
Conditioning 12ltrs Irish Red AG#1
Drinking Strawberry and kiwi TC
Diggerg
Brewer

Postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Mon Oct 19, 2015 17:22

Hi,

I am brand new to the Forum, and pretty much brand new to brewing. Already, the BIAB method has been suggested, and someone was kind enough to point me in the direction of this thread. Very helpful thanks, although all still a bit daunting!

MBC
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Mon Oct 19, 2015 21:48

MonsieurBadgerCheese wrote:Hi,

I am brand new to the Forum, and pretty much brand new to brewing. Already, the BIAB method has been suggested, and someone was kind enough to point me in the direction of this thread. Very helpful thanks, although all still a bit daunting!

MBC

Don't be daunted by it. Fact is, if you can cook, you can brew. BIAB just gives you a route to all grain brewing with minimal "brewery".

The fundamental decision point on AG or not shouldn't be the complexity, BIAB really is easy. It should be whether or not you can dedicate the better part of a day to making beer now and again.
calumscott
Admin

Postby MonsieurBadgerCheese » Mon Oct 19, 2015 22:25

calumscott wrote:
MonsieurBadgerCheese wrote:Hi,

MBC

Don't be daunted by it. Fact is, if you can cook, you can brew. BIAB just gives you a route to all grain brewing with minimal "brewery".

The fundamental decision point on AG or not shouldn't be the complexity, BIAB really is easy. It should be whether or not you can dedicate the better part of a day to making beer now and again.

Thanks for you reply, and encouragement. I enjoy cooking, so hopefully can give brewing a reasonable go, given enough study and practice. Not going to rush into anything, but the BIAB sounds much more fun than tipping in the contents of a tin. I'm sure I can find the odd day to set aside for 'research and development' (although the wife may well disagree (nothing new there though))!

MBC
MonsieurBadgerCheese
Brewer

Postby mark1964 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 21:04

so the mash is done on a stove etc

ITS TIME 4 ANOTHER BEER
mark1964
Brewer

Previous