Brewing Software i.e. Beersmith

If you know how to do something, and how it should be done, tell us here.

Brewing Software i.e. Beersmith

Postby xCamel xSlayer » Wed Jan 25, 2017 14:15

Hi guys.
I wondered if there was someone here who was very clued up with using brewing software, which in this particular case would be Beersmith.

I opted for BS simply as it seemed to be the most popular.
It may also be worth mentioning that I ONLY have it on my phone, as the laptop is buggered and is unlikely to be replaced any time soon as it just doesn't get used.

Basically, I am not 100% confident I am using it right, nor can I find an online tutorial/handbook that I can connect with and fully understand.

The three basics right off the bat are Mash Profile, Equipment profile and then Recipe. The latter I can do no problem, so it is mainly just how you correctly set up your equipment and various mash profiles. There are just so many different fields to enter, I have no idea what is relevant to my system (BIAB) and what isn't.

Essentially, all I will be making is 5 gal batches, BIAB, no sparge.

:scratch:
xCamel xSlayer
Brewer

Re: Brewing Software i.e. Beersmith

Postby HTH1975 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 20:16

Never used Beersmith. I opted for Brewers Friend as it was quick and easy to use. I tried it out using the free version then bought the full version (about £6). The free version is limited to saving two recipes. Defo try it out - very intuitive and easy to use. I normally have a recipe ready within 5 minutes.

2016: 330L brewed (72 gallons, over 8 firkins)
2017: 65L brewed
Drinking: 70 Shilling (3.5%)
Conditioning: choc-coffee oatmeal wheat stout, various ciders, cherry 'brett' brown ale, imperial Pilsner.
Fermenting: Bock (6.5%)
HTH1975
Brewer

Postby rats_eyes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 20:52

I use beersmith and find it to be really helpful. You do need to tune it to your system, so it won't calculate everything perfectly without some input. For me it has been 100% worth it.

I would strongly advise getting this running on a pc though, as it does need a bit of screen space. I've used the "lite" version of the phone app and wouldn't use it for much myself.
rats_eyes
Brewer

Postby rats_eyes » Wed Jan 25, 2017 22:09

I'm not sure how your phone app interface looks, but there is a preset equipment profile called "Pot (5 gallon/19 litre) mini-BIAB" and mash profiles for BIAB. You would likely still have to make some adjustments to get this over time (efficiency, deadspace, etc), but this might be a good place to start.
rats_eyes
Brewer

Postby Goulders » Wed Jan 25, 2017 22:39

There are video tutorials on the Beersmith website on how to use it and set up profiles, so have a look at those
Goulders
Brewer

Postby Clwrob » Wed Jan 25, 2017 23:31

+1 for BeerSmith which IMHO is brilliant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clwrob
Brewer

Postby Ciderhead » Thu Jan 26, 2017 00:57

Much easier to manipulate on a laptop, probably just frustrate yourself using phone version, I only use phone version on brewdays.

Give a man a beer, he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, he'll waste a lifetime.
Ciderhead
Brewer