Malt by John Mallett

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Malt by John Mallett

Postby Good Ed » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:26

Well I'm just finishing the book Malt: A Practical Guide from Field to Brewhouse by John Mallett.

A very nice book that takes you through all aspects of malt, and as with the Hops book it will give you a better understanding of one of the main ingredients to beer and will give you more knowledge that will help you with your brewing. John has been brewing all his life from homebrew to working for several breweries and studied at the Siebel Institute.

Chapter 1 is about Harry Harlan who toured the world early last century researching barley; Chapter 2 focuses on how brewers use barley; Chapters 3 & 4 deal with malting historically and the process; Chapter 5 talks about specialty malts; Chapter 6 malt chemistry; Chapter 7 the diversity of malt types; Chapter 8 barley anatomy and agriculture; Chapter 9 barley varieties; Chapter 10 understanding malt quality and analysis; Chapter 11 malt handling for breweries; Chapter 12 understanding milling. Followed by appendices, bibliography and a comprehensive index.

A few things stick with me;

John is a proponent of tasting malts, something I have done and made notes from, but he suggests doing this when compiling recipes to get the mix and recipe to your tastes.

If you accept the "malt is the soul of the beer" why do we just accept buying pale malt, you wouldn't just buy aroma hops without knowing what you are buying. Since doing some of the old recipes posted by Ron P I have started using different malts, even though the varieties are in limited supply for home brewers, but I'll be doing a bit more research into some of the varieties I've been using, Maris Otter, Halcyon, Pearl, Optic, Golden Promise, Triumph (mild malt here, lager malt on the continent).

And following on from that I will be asking the suppliers for more information and asking whether they have a Certificate of Analysis for the malt.

Also some interesting information on craft maltsters and an appendix on how to do it yourself.

Overall I'd recommend it to add to your Brewing Elements books.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Re: Malt by John Mallett

Postby tommidolcetto » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:09

I was disappointed that it has very little on wheat or alternative malts to barley - just a paragraph or two.
Otherwise pretty good.
tommidolcetto
Brewer