Mikkeller's Book of Beer

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Mikkeller's Book of Beer

Postby KevinS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 17:04

I have had this on pre-order and just received it in the mail today. Mikkel of Mikkeller has produced this very nice looking hardback book that covers much of what you expect from a beer book these days - a history of beer (with a big hat tip to CAMRA here), a guide on styles and the history on some of Mikkeller's beers and how to make your own beer (all-grain only is the only option given)

The book also has some 25 recipes straight from Mikkeller. This includes a number of there well known beers such as Beer Geek Breakfast, Green Gold, American Dream and Black Hole to name a few. It also has a recipe each from The Kernel, Three Floyds, Firestone Walker, Goliat and Hemel & Aarde.

At the very end of the book is a small list of food recipes that look really, really quite good. The recipes are paired with a Mikkeller beer as you would expect, but they are just very interesting recipes (Grilled Flatbread with Gotland Truffles courtey of Noma, for example).

I wouldnt really call this a beginners introduction or an in-depth treatise. It will most likely appeal to Mikkeller fans or (like me) people who largely wanted to look at the recipes.

All in all though, it is a nice book that comes in an attractive size and certainly one to get you daydreaming - especially seeing the experimental nature of many of Mikkeller's beers
KevinS
Brewer

Re: Mikkeller's Book of Beer

Postby GrahamT » Thu Mar 19, 2015 17:37

Ordered, cheers :thumb:

Busy in the Summer House Brewery
GrahamT
Brewer

Postby tommidolcetto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 18:32

Interesting.
I saw a review of this at the weekend, sounds good.

Do the recipe ingredients all look obtainable Kevin?
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 18:43

tommidolcetto wrote:Do the recipe ingredients all look obtainable Kevin?

If you mean the food recipes, hmm this is on the limit. Its only about 7 recipes thats in the book and they're much more in the haute cuisine range - and so it would be a 'challenge' to make any of them rather than it would ever be a mid-week meal.

If you mean the beer recipes - these are very much within the normal limits you would expect. Being brewed in the Denmark and Europe it is all familiar malts and familiar yeasts that are easily available (base malts are normally pilsner or MO). Obviously some of the 10+ % beers will prove a bit more challenging regardless, but the ingredients and recipes all seem obtainable
KevinS
Brewer

Postby tommidolcetto » Thu Mar 19, 2015 19:04

Ha!
It was the beers
Cheers
tommidolcetto
Brewer

Postby onfirecj » Thu Mar 19, 2015 20:24

Does it have the Vikings revenge recipe?
Best IPA I've tried to date
onfirecj
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Thu Mar 19, 2015 21:36

onfirecj wrote:Does it have the Vikings revenge recipe?
Best IPA I've tried to date

No I'm afraid not. It has 'All others pale' and a number of other IPAs and IIPAs (green gold, stateside, I beat you as some examples) but no Vikings revenge I'm afraid.

You could probably take a good guess looking at their other recipes though...
KevinS
Brewer

Postby gibbiem » Wed Mar 25, 2015 20:46

I really want this book but a) I don't read so would just flick through 'the best bit' and b) I don't read
gibbiem
Brewer

Postby mixbrewery » Tue Mar 31, 2015 14:16

I got this for my birthday last week.
The history bit makes for quick but interesting read.
Beer recipes look do-able but read the ingredients and quantities carefully as I've spotted some typos.

Overall a nice addition the beer book library :D
mixbrewery
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Tue Mar 31, 2015 15:26

Yes, I've got this. Interesting for the recipes and the history, though I've spotted a couple of factual errors in the how to brew bits, which makes me question how involved the brewer(s) themselves were with the whole text.

GrahamT
Brewer

Postby Asalpaws » Wed Apr 01, 2015 09:52

Does it feature a recipe for 1000 IBU ? T
Asalpaws
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:33

I dont have it with me right this second (darn work getting in the way of brewing!) but I dont think it does. It has I Beat You, but I don't think it really mentions much about 1000 IBU. I certainly dont remember seeing a recipe for it in there...
KevinS
Brewer

Postby GrahamT » Wed Apr 01, 2015 13:26

Nothing more than a mere 100 IBUs! Green Gold, Stateside, humlefryyyd all 100 IBUs. Beer Geek Breakfast is in there.

GrahamT
Brewer