Brew your own British real ale by Graham Wheeler.

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Re: Brew your own British real ale by Graham Wheeler.

Postby GrowlingDog » Mon Aug 11, 2014 21:53

I have both the earlier and later editions as well ;)
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby paulg » Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:56

I have the edition previous to the one now being sold (3rd edition published 2009) .Does anyone know are they the same recipes or different .The same goes for version 1 and 2 books do the recipes change much,is there any point in buying the older ones .I sometimes see version 1 and 2 on ebay very cheap and would buy them if they contain recipes for different beers ,I realise there will be an overlap but out of say 100 recipes what percentage changes
paulg
Brewer

Postby calumscott » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:13

If you see the previous editions cheap it's probably worth grabbing them. I only have the 3rd edition (I think) and I've heard tell that some of the 2nd edition recipes were dropped and others changed (not necessarily for the better).
calumscott
Admin

Postby GrowlingDog » Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:16

From memory version 1 has hardly any recipes in it, but I don't have it in front of me so can't check.

Version 2 has a few different recipes to version 3, but not enough different ones to make it worth buying unless you get one second hand very cheap.

I only have version 2 and version 3 as I lost version 2 which I had bought for me years ago, when I started brewing again I bought version 3, then found version 2 a few weeks later while clearing out the loft, it was in my old fermentor with all the rest of my brewing stuff I had forgotten I still had.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby serum » Wed Aug 27, 2014 14:43

I've got the third edition and its a cracking book, very helpful in getting started with all grain and understanding recipes.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby Graham_W » Mon Sep 15, 2014 15:14

paulg wrote:I have the edition previous to the one now being sold (3rd edition published 2009) .Does anyone know are they the same recipes or different .The same goes for version 1 and 2 books do the recipes change much,is there any point in buying the older ones .I sometimes see version 1 and 2 on ebay very cheap and would buy them if they contain recipes for different beers ,I realise there will be an overlap but out of say 100 recipes what percentage changes

There are a hundred-and-something recipes in each edition. The recipes chosen for these had to be for beers with a fairly national coverage so that any aspiring brewer could find a recipe for a beer that he was familiar with and enjoyed. This restricted the beers that could be included and this by nature excluded most new breweries or microbreweries because they were too local in scope; many of them didn't brew decent beer anyway, and, in my view, many of them still don't. It is too long ago for me to remember the differences in recipes between edition 1 and 2; there would have been some, but I think they were minimal, because the second edition was released very soon after the first edition. The reason for me producing a second edition was as a countermeasure. Someone had the cheek to clone my clone book. He copied the instructional text with the odd word or two changed to make it appear original, copied many of the recipes with the ingredient quantities changed by a gram or two, used the same chapter layout, the same page layout and so on. The second edition was mostly improved and expanded instructional text and and improved recipe layout intended to confound my imitator's aspirations. I will not mention the competitor because the book is reviewed elsewhere on here.

The third edition was done because CAMRA wanted to reintroduce the book, but the second edition was getting a bit long in the tooth by then, so the opportunity was taken to completely re-write the book and to swap some of the recipes to reflect that many of the original breweries had disappeared by that time, but it still retained a few of the famous old favourite beers that had gone west.
The edition currently on sale is still, realistically, the third edition in a better illustrated, more colourful format. There are no major changes to the content.

G.W.
Graham_W
Brewer

Postby Frogfurlong » Mon Sep 15, 2014 15:43

On the back of recommendations in this thread I bought this book.

I am not disappointed, a wealth of recipes and a goldmine for recipe formulation ideas. It lives along side my bed so I can read and then dream of all the beers I'm going to brew :thumb:

Well written in an easy to understand format, the text isn't too wordy with plain English used.

People assume that Brewing is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big glass of wibbly wobbly... beery weery... stuff.
Frogfurlong
Brewer

Brew your own British real ale by Graham Wheeler.

Postby Will12283 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:06

I love this book it's an easy read and full of information. Everything is explained in enough detail so that it does not scare off beginners, but is not too simple for the more experienced brewer.

Using Tapatalk
Will12283
Brewer

Postby CraftyTim » Mon Sep 15, 2014 22:44

Will12283 wrote:I love this book it's an easy read and full of information. Everything is explained in enough detail so that it does not scare off beginners, but is not too simple for the more experienced brewer.

Indeed, I'm on AG16 so I think that still makes me a beginner and I just brewed a TT Landlord based on the recipe from GW's book, it's a cracking brew :thumb:

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy :D
CraftyTim
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Sep 16, 2014 09:29

I bought this book because of the popular acclaim and thought some of the recipes looked a little simplistic. However all my regular brews now come from this book. It seems simple beers are the best after all, or they just give me less opportunity to mess up.

I think we have a tendency, in our excitement, to overcomplicate things to the detriment of the craft.

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 14:31

Going to treat myself to this :) I'm aware there are several variants of the book, which one should I be looking to get?
this seems a good deal on eBay at the moment.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Own-B ... 1852493194

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Kyle_T » Mon Oct 13, 2014 17:16

I have collected 4 of these books now, the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and revised 3rd editions, all are brilliant but the latest one is very clear, nicely coloured and formatted and simple to understand. However, there are some different recipes in each of the books that haven't been carried over to the next edition. I would say start with the revised 3rd edition but collect the rest when you can.

Next Brew: AG#63.

Beer Brewed (2015): 136.4 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2016): 90.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2017): 20.0 Gallons
Beer Brewed (2018): 0.0 Gallons

First AG Brewed: 11.4.2013.
https://theessexbrewer.wordpress.com
Kyle_T
The Essex Brewer

Postby Trucker5685 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 19:21

Ive eventually got round to having a look for this book but came across this one too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMRAs-Complete ... NTZYP9SP2H

And was wondering if this is an updated version or a completely different book.

Or if anyone has a copy of 'Brew your own British real ale' they're finished with then I'll consider buying it from you.

The Hole in the Wall Brewery

Can you recommend anything for a hangover?
Yeah, drink heavily the night before!

More enthusiastic than knowledgable!

Moved to 'The Darkside' in 2014
Trucker5685
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Thu Nov 06, 2014 22:12

Trucker5685 wrote:Ive eventually got round to having a look for this book but came across this one too

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CAMRAs-Complete ... NTZYP9SP2H

And was wondering if this is an updated version or a completely different book.

Or if anyone has a copy of 'Brew your own British real ale' they're finished with then I'll consider buying it from you.

Unfortunately Graham has said this book seems unlikely to be produced. Ill health and disagreements with CAMRA I believe.
Dennis King

Postby Trucker5685 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 22:19

Ah ok, this is the book mentioned previously in the thread, thanks Dennis

The Hole in the Wall Brewery

Can you recommend anything for a hangover?
Yeah, drink heavily the night before!

More enthusiastic than knowledgable!

Moved to 'The Darkside' in 2014
Trucker5685
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 23:31

Finally got round to getting this! Looking forward to getting a brew on :)

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby itbrvilla » Thu Nov 27, 2014 23:23

itbrvilla
Brewer

Postby liamtmt7 » Fri Nov 28, 2014 08:29

Dennis King wrote:
Unfortunately Graham has said this book seems unlikely to be produced. Ill health and disagreements with CAMRA I believe.

Cheers for that Dennis - I have had this on Amazon pre order since Father's Day! Guess I won't be getting it!
liamtmt7
Brewer

Postby andysale » Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:25

I've got this one from Amazon.
It is a nice format with the recipes nicely displayed with pictures of some of the beers.
It is basically the same as the previous book but different layout.
The Home Brew Shop that sponsor this book also have them in stock
andysale
Brewer

Postby Cornish Knocker » Fri Nov 28, 2014 15:14

itbrvilla wrote:Is this the 2014 update?

Yes it is. I've got that one winging its way over from Father Christmas. :D

I've got an earlier addition, so looking forward to this updated, colour one.

Fermenting: Nothing

Conditioning: Nothing

Drinking: Drop Kick Nate
Cornish Knocker
Brewer

Postby paulg » Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:17

I managed to find the first and second editions second hand on e bay very cheap ,I already had edition 3 but the earlier editions had a few recipes I wanted that were not in the later ones.In my opinion if you see the earlier copies cheap they are worth getting
paulg
Brewer

Postby fore » Sun Feb 22, 2015 13:28

Can I presume that the hop additions in this book relate to whole hops, not pellets? So if I were to use pellets, I should reduce weight by 10%?
fore
Brewer

Postby GAZ9053 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 21:31

Why add the sugar and not just up the grain bill ?

First BIAB 15.03.15
First Grainfather 22.12.15

My kit wine how-to
GAZ9053
Brewer

Postby f00b4r » Wed Mar 04, 2015 00:49

GAZ9053 wrote:Why add the sugar and not just up the grain bill ?

You might want to check out this thread that discusses exactly that, including Graham himself weighing in.
f00b4r
Brewer

Postby LeithR » Fri Mar 13, 2015 20:42

Recently received the latest 3rd edition published in 2014 and now having avidly read it I'm impressed, there's still quite a few typo's and other errors but I really like his section on WATER (Page 47) His description really helped me understand the overall issue, he made what always reads as a complex issue very simple to understand, there's an art to doing that!. I live in a soft water area and probably just need a small amount of Gypsum to give the right balance. Its given me the confidence to go and get some indication papers and take it from there.

Well done GW!

Hop Tea - how to

Puppy Slacko 5.9.3 Linux user see HERE for details.

Searching for other planets? Why, this is the only one with beer!
LeithR
Brewer

PreviousNext