Home brew beer by Greg Hughes

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Home brew beer by Greg Hughes

Postby Rivvo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:21

I've cheated this isn't a review, I saw this in 'The Works' today for £5 and bought it, on first inspection it seems quite informative (for a newbie like me) and there's a load of recipes in there including, ebc and Ibus etc, and mashes, so has anyone read it or brewed any recipes in it?

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Re: Home brew beer by Greg Hughes

Postby tim_n » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:22

Rivvo wrote:I've cheated this isn't a review, I saw this in 'The Works' today for £5 and bought it, on first inspection it seems quite informative (for a newbie like me) and there's a load of recipes in there including, ebc and Ibus etc, and mashes, so has anyone read it or brewed any recipes in it?

I've been brewing off forum recipes. Tried and tested :)

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Sat Apr 12, 2014 20:30

I've been using beersmith, but to be honest though I've been drinking it for years i didn't really know much about beers or the brewing processes, I've used recipes for inspiration and also copied them. This book has a recipe for many different types so I figured if someone knowledgable has brewed one and it was good then the rest probably are too and I might give some a og, or I may just let them inspire me!

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby Maldon John » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:48

I got this book for Christmas but haven't got round to brewing anything from it yet. I would imagine they are tried and tested recipies so you would'nt go far wrong with them. I going to try the "spiced Coriander and Lime Beer"recipie from the book at some point. Should go well with a curry!
The book is up to date(2013),quite detailed and gives recipies (76)for every style of beer. Good section for novices,step by step instructions on the brewing process.
Maldon John
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Sun Apr 13, 2014 18:24

Cheers john if I brew any I'll let you know how it goes.

Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 13:59

Well having read nearly all the book I can say that it's a very useful read and reference book, it has sections for most hops giving flavours,aa values etc, grains and their characteristics and some good basic recipes. Very good for me as a fairly new brewer ( I wish I'd seen it 6 months ago) and a handy tool for most people at my level I would think.
The only downside is the mash times and temperatures in the recipes, he sticks to a 1 hour mash at 65' on nearly all the recipes but to be fair he does state they are minimum mash times, no mention of stepped mashes or rests etc for the more complex beer styles, luckily I know a good Internet forum that you would be able to get these additional details from, and no, not that one :whistle:

Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby rpt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 23:37

I've brewed a few recipes from this book (or at least based recipes on them): Yorkshire Bitter, pale ale and nelson sauvin ale. I haven't used the yeasts he suggest though. I shall continue to use it for inspiration. I'd say they are good recipes although I always use the BIABacus spreadsheet to calculate actual grain and hop weights.

rpt
Brewer

Postby dennisdk2000 » Tue May 20, 2014 20:42

Here's a review I originally posted elsewhere don't interweb:

I have to admit that this was a complete impulse buy! I was browsing through the book section of a discount department store when I came across it, and after a quick flick-through, I decided 'I need this book!'

If you're a very experienced brewer, this might not be the purchase for you; chances are that there isn't much news in there for you. However, if you are a complete novice, or just fairly new to home-brewing, this is a great book. It starts out with a brief over-view of the history of brewing - more fascinating trivia than anything that is going to help you make great beer, but then gets on with it. There's a concise discussion of the brewing process "from grain to glass" followed by short sections on malts, adjuncts and sugars, hops, yeast and brewing liquor. Without going into too much detail, you get a clear idea of the purpose of each ingredient. There are "At a glance" tables - one describing malts and adjuncts with their respective colour rating and maximum usage percentage, another describing hops with country of origin, alpha acid range and flavour intensity rating from 1 to 10, and a third one listing several beer styles with recipe examples from the book and suggestions as to which yeasts to use for each, giving a dried yeast option as well as two liquid yeast options (one from Wyeast and one from Whitelabs). Finally there is a short section of various common flavourings used in beer making, including fruit, herbs and spices.

The next portion of the book describes the brewing process in more detail, explaining how to brew beer, whether by using a kit, extract brewing or all-grain brewing, and brew-in-a-bag is also discussed briefly. Sanitation, and the importance of it, is discussed thoroughly along with all required (and optional) equipment. There are loads of great photographic illustrations throughout. There is good information on how and when to make a starter and the whole fermentation process (though no-where near the level found in Yeast by White and Zainasheff!), using finings, dry hopping, priming and racking. Finally, there's a discussion of different storage methods (bottles, pressure barrels and kegs/casks) with pros and cons of each.

The last portion of the book, about two-thirds of the entire book, is recipes. There is pretty much examples of any style you could wish to brew - okay, maybe not every style, but a good few, including some more unusual styles such as Roggenbier, Pumpkin Ale and Nettle Beer. The recipes are all all-grain recipes, but quite a few of them also have an extract version, though not all of them. The recipes are presented clearly and in an easy to grasp format, which should help come brew day. I know that the recipes to some extend favour all-grain brewers; however, as all-grain brewing really isn't that difficult, beginners should not be put off! Many brewers on this forum - myself included - have gone straight to all-grain with great results. If you really don't fancy it, there are a good few extract recipes as well, and if one is missing, you could always ask a friendly fellow home-brewer to help you work out the extract/partial mash version!

Finally, the book ends with a short Useful Information section, including conversion charts, brewing related websites and forums (although this one isn't included... *sigh* so close to perfection...), and a glossary.

Overall a well illustrated book with a good level of detail for anyone new to brewing - not so much that it puts you off, but still a decent amount of information. There are lots of tips along the way, and lots of interesting looking recipes, though these still remain to be tested! One of my favourite parts of the book are the "At a glance" charts - a good way to start getting to grips with all the ingredients for brewing and learn about how to make substitutions or experiment with recipes.

Perhaps not a definitive brewing book, but a great way to get started! I give it 4.5 stars out of 5!

Dennis
dennisdk2000
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Tue May 20, 2014 21:29

Great review! Might nip into my local book store to see if they have a copy

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby daf » Tue Aug 19, 2014 18:38

This is a great book, I already had Wheeler's, but this book by Hughes was the perfect 'guide' in making the move from kits to all grain.

I did the Nelson Sauvin single hop recipe - fantastic. I brew in 1V rather than 2 or 3, and the recipe worked great. Then I did the Raspberry Wheat Beer, splitting the batch into raspberry and cherry (all frozen fruit from the supermarket) and these are great - as good as the non-lambic fruits available.

As with all DK books, it's really pleasantly presented and an easy reference - mine is well-worn already with cuttings, grain/hop store updates and so on. A great book.
daf
Brewer

Postby RokDok » Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:48

You can get this book fairly cheaply for certainly less than a tenner and it's well worth it if like me you have a stack of brew/beer related books by your bedside which you dip into form time to time.
I have to admit I skimmed the initial third and went straight to the recipes. I brewed a Belgian Tripel about 6 weeks ago- it's not ready yet so can't comment but initial quality control tastings are promising. Last week I brewed the Dusseldorf Altbier but using the hops from the German Altbier recipe and the Belgian Witbier which won't be bottled until next week. I'll post the outcomes in a month or so.
The recipes are simple to follow there is plenty of room to add your notes on the page.

Never eat on an empty stomach
RokDok
Brewer

Postby liamtmt7 » Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:34

I'm a massive fan of this book.

Bought it when doing kits, and it convinced me to move to AG. Doesn't have anything about BIAB in it but all the principles remain about the same
liamtmt7
Brewer

Postby Cornish Knocker » Tue Oct 21, 2014 19:59

On ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Home-Brew-Beer-by-Greg-Hughes-Hardback-2013-/201198760498?pt=Non_Fiction&hash=item2ed8617232

Good price at £4.99 with free postage....however, it's this price as the hardback cover has been put on the wrong way round. Obviously put together after trying a few of the recipes out.

Still a good buy if you're not too fussy.

Fermenting:

Conditioning:

Drinking: The Above
Up Next: Not sure yet, one of many
Cornish Knocker
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 20:02

If you are fussy about how your book looks here it is same price + postage
http://www.thebookpeople.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/qs_product_tbp?productId=408479&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=100&searchTerm=home+brew+beer&filters=9books

Good informative book with some interesting recipes :hat:

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby Cactus Jack » Tue Jan 06, 2015 22:57

Bought this at the weekend. have to say fairly impressed, as others have stated a good accompaniment to Wheeler's book.

FV:

Bottle Conditioning:
FCN Oatmeal Stout

Bottled:
Finlay's Finest - Wai-iti & Rakau super pale ale
Grapefruit and honey ale.
Wit Nail and I - Wit Beer.
Petal's Witches Brew - Slight variation on Pendle's Witches Brew
Strix - ESB

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, my God! You can only play the piano when you're drunk!
Now that's not true! I can also vomit, fall down and make dirty calls to your sister when I'm drunk!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cactus Jack
Brewer

Postby Pjam » Tue Jan 06, 2015 23:07

My Patersbier ...... with a change or two, came from this book page 128. And there's a 60 minute IPA I fancy trying. The recipes look good to me :)
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Zod » Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:51

I got this for Christmas. I read the entire book in about 30mins. There's only 20 odd pages of information and then 100+ on recipes. I think you could easily find the same information, for free, via the internet.

Zod
Brewer

Postby Monte Cristo » Wed Jan 07, 2015 14:01

Zod wrote:I got this for Christmas. I read the entire book in about 30mins. There's only 20 odd pages of information and then 100+ on recipes. I think you could easily find the same information, for free, via the internet.

True, but it does make a good reference book and if at some point you decide to move on to AG brewing it will suddenly become a lot more interesting! :hat:

Next Brew AG. 58
Monte Cristo
Brewer

Postby tazuk » Sat Jan 24, 2015 17:58

i have this book too love it great book :notworthy:

tazuk
Brewer

Postby TwoBottles » Tue Jan 27, 2015 15:00

I would also recommend this book.

I find the information tables on ingredients very interesting and will be trying some of the recipes.

It does mention BIAB but only very briefly..so briefly as to be not very useful given the popularity of the technique...
TwoBottles
Brewer

Postby Scarp » Wed Mar 11, 2015 01:09

I ordered this yesterday. The Book People (and Amazon I think) have it at £3 or so plus p&p.
Scarp
Brewer

Postby Fatbloke-Dim » Sat Apr 25, 2015 16:55

Rivvo wrote:I've cheated this isn't a review, I saw this in 'The Works' today for £5 and bought it, on first inspection it seems quite informative (for a newbie like me) and there's a load of recipes in there including, ebc and Ibus etc, and mashes, so has anyone read it or brewed any recipes in it?

Got mine from The Works ,too. Have done the Amarillo single hop .but as posted elsewhere it never got off the ground . Will be doing the same brew again tomorrow , so can't say any more than I hope this bugger goes ! Have you noticed the same basic recipe is repeated in the book with hop variations? Not a bad thing at all , and is a clue to the way a recipe can be schemed up and tweaked . Good book for a newbie IMHO, and a good fiver's worth.

"Wilt gij oud graven zijn,
driink bier in plaats van medicijn "

https://www.flickr.com/photos/fatbloke_ ... 8309489689

WARNNG!Containns images of a beeeeeeery nature.
Fatbloke-Dim
Brewer

Postby itbrvilla » Sun Jun 14, 2015 23:33

£3 on Amazon at moment. Free delivery if spend total >£10 books or >£20 on anything.
itbrvilla
Brewer