Dave Line "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy"

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Re: Dave Line "Brewing Beers Like Those You Buy"

Postby Pjam » Mon Oct 13, 2014 14:27

rpt wrote:Dave Line uses far more sugar than Graham Wheeler.

I think he believed that we can never closely copy the 'beers like those you buy', but in an attempt to get near, sugars, he thinks, may help ........ and boy he uses a whole variety!

Page 12 last paragraph, (when comparing to commercial recipes)
my formulations include more adjuncts and sweeteners

Top of page 13,
so my brews may have different starting gravities and contain sweeteners to help restore the balance in the finished beer
Pjam
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Mon Oct 13, 2014 15:12

brugen wrote:
rpt wrote:I'm guessing it's to do with the size of his equipment.

Great theory which I hadn't thought of.

Actually it's down to the fact that the data supplied by the brewer 'excludes' any sugars used, as they don't like to admit to using sugar, the sugar is used to match the OG and stated ABV figures to the grain bill.

Monte Cristo wrote:Quite a few of the recipes in the GW book have the addition of sugar so not all pure grain :hat:

:scratch: :scratch: :scratch: In what way?? just because sugars are used as an adjunct does not make it extract or kit n kilo. The reasons are that the brewer often hides the fact that they have used sugars in their beers and there is a disparity in a 100% grain beer and the OG/abv figures.

One very important thing to bear in mind with Dave lines figures is that he assumes at least a 100% efficiency so you have to be careful otherwise you will end up with less wort at a lower gravity than published. . . . multiply the base malts by 1.2 - 1.25 . . . hops I tend to increase by about 20% as well ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby TwoBottles » Tue Jan 27, 2015 15:08

My previous foray into home brewing was in the 1970s and this book along with Dave's other book were my bible and prayer book.

Living in Bradford at the time, there was an excellent home brew shop run by an old guy who sold extract boiling kits made up from his own recipes.

Combining the ingredients from that shop and BBLTYB recipes I brewed many a good ale.

My next brew will Dave Line's Pompey Royal bitter as I still prefer the taste of traditional beers.

The "how to" parts of the book are well dated now but the recipes are quite interesting if you like UK beers of the old school.

I agree with the previous comments you have to tweak the recipes a little in your brewing software.

He tends to use barley syrup...this is ridiculously expensive these days.
TwoBottles
Brewer

Previous