Radical Brewing By Randy Mosher

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Radical Brewing By Randy Mosher

Postby Rolfster » Sat Aug 02, 2014 13:14

Having read a couple of brewing books from cover to cover when I started brewing I didn't think I could cope with another brewing book but found this to be a good read. And not as dry as the other books I read. These were some what instruction manuals.
Radical Brewing has lots of information and recipies but it seems to be organised in a different manner.
It starts with background and history, then talks about the process, then ingredients, then how to build a beer, then off flavours. After this you get chapter after chapter of different styles of beer that increase in difficulty of their brewing process.

It feels a bit like you are being lead along an educational journey as in each chapter there is information about history, beer styles, culture, brewing processes and recipies.

I liked this book, but I had a few AG brews under my belt when I got it. I am not sure that it should be a bought as a stand alone instuction book.

(Hope this sounds ok, only did it as saw a request on another thread...)
Rolfster
Brewer

Re: Radical Brewing By Randy Mosher

Postby Rolfster » Sat Aug 02, 2014 15:51

Forgot to say also give extract versions of ag recipes given.
Rolfster
Brewer

Postby oakers73 » Sun Aug 03, 2014 09:53

I got this book recently as a birthday present from my wife....i have really enjoyed it. It is written with a really enthusiastic style with a whole dose of deadpan humour..... also full of recipes I would never have thought of. I have been brewing 8 months and have only got up to extract and mini mash level and it is definitely informative enough for me.
oakers73
Brewer

Postby KevinS » Wed Aug 20, 2014 14:11

I have had this book for 6 months now, and while I have yet to read it cover-to-cover, it is probably the book I flick through the most. I just find its tone very inspirational and open to experimenting with anything.

More often than not, I use it as a mini-reference when I am considering adding fruit or using something new or crazy. One day I will get around to doing something crazy from it!

I agree with your sentiment, I don't think it would be the best place to start - but if you understand the basic brewing process and have done 1 or 2, then it's a really great read.
KevinS
Brewer

Postby daf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 17:33

It is a good book - very informative and written with a real passion. Good to have next to the bog.
daf
Brewer

Postby Dennis King » Wed Aug 20, 2014 17:50

daf wrote:It is a good book - very informative and written with a real passion. Good to have next to the bog.

Toilet paper is cheaper.
Dennis King

Postby daf » Wed Aug 20, 2014 17:59

Dennis King wrote:
daf wrote:It is a good book - very informative and written with a real passion. Good to have next to the bog.

Toilet paper is cheaper.

Badoom tish. :notworthy:
daf
Brewer

Postby RokDok » Fri Oct 17, 2014 22:38

I loved this book- it was almost unputdownable.
It's packed with information and it's really funny.
It's inspirational- for example the 10 things you can do to improve your stout : I've just roasted my own porridge in the oven to add more depth.
Lots of very old beer recipes as well using garden herbs instead of hops etc.
Not a book to teach the basics but it's interesting even if you don't brew- e.g. the hilarious New York court case from the 19th century with witness statements to say that lager wasn't intoxicating and could therefore be sold on unlicensed premises: One man drinking 10 glasses before breakfast just to give him an appetite etc.
Brilliant

Never eat on an empty stomach
RokDok
Brewer

Postby GrowlingDog » Fri Oct 17, 2014 23:09

I couldn't get past the second page. I couldn't cope with the style of writing. Probably my least used book.
Nearly everyone raves about this book but not for me.
GrowlingDog
Admin

Postby serum » Wed Oct 22, 2014 21:24

I quite liked it. Easy enough to read and it gets you thinking about different ways of brewing which is a good thing to do. I didn't get as into it as I did with Brew like a monk or Famhouse Ales but then again that's probably because it's not as closely linked to what I want to make.

It's well written and I might have to give it another look now I'm thinking about wierd and wonderful things like gruit ale and stuff like that. I have a garden full of herbs I can definitely use!

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer

Postby Rivvo » Sat Dec 27, 2014 15:05

GrowlingDogBeer wrote:I couldn't get past the second page. I couldn't cope with the style of writing. Probably my least used book.
Nearly everyone raves about this book but not for me.

GD I was looking to buy this, do you fancy selling it?

Drinking - Pater's Biere, Golden Mile summer ale, Brittania bitter, Red Sun Ryesing, All around the world IPA, Temptation Tripel, Old Shuch stout,
Bottled and conditioning -
Fermenting -
Rivvo
Brewer

Postby serum » Sun Dec 28, 2014 13:03

When I originally reviewed this it was based on the kindle version but I was bought the paper copy for christmas and it's better still. There are loads of good illustrations and it's very well presented.

FV - Blond Biere de Garde
Bottled: Altbier, XX Bitter
Planned: Amber Saison, Spelt Saison
serum
Brewer