George Fix - Principles Of Brewing Science

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

George Fix - Principles Of Brewing Science

Postby Aleman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:36

Also covers Analysis of Brewing Techniques, Fix and Fix

Both these books discuss the 'theory' of brewing very heavily, without really discussing the practical application of the theory, the Author is assuming that you can take the information presented, and with your practical experience apply it to your brewing to improve it. If you don't have a basic grounding in biochemical science as it relates to brewing then a lot of the information presented is going to go over your head.

The books sit on my bookshelf, and are never used as my GoTo books, if I want to look up an obscure topic then I'll get them out.

Fine for advanced brewers, but really Wheeler and Palmers Books are a much better option.

In fact I'd say Brewing (2nd Edition) by Lewis and Young is a better advanced book . . . If expensive

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: George Fix - Principles Of Brewing Science

Postby cononthebarber » Wed Apr 30, 2014 23:19

Yes reading this at the minute, I have to say a great deal of this book is going straight over my head :oops:

Getting ready for The Homebrew Festval 2017 - Click HERE for more info :thumb:
cononthebarber
Brewer