Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer - Brewing Classic Styles

Found a good brewing book, tell us what you think about it

Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer - Brewing Classic Styles

Postby Aleman » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:34

This was a book that I have put of buying for quite some time. Having bought Jamils yeast book I was that impressed that I bought this one as well.

This book really expands on the Brewing Network podcasts, plus adds John Palmers experience in brewing with extract. So there is the first major point, all 80 of the recipes are extract. The all grain alternatives then follow on from the extract version.

The second point is that there are a large variety of extracts available in the US that we are not able to get here in the UK (Munich Extract for example), so although the recipes are aimed towards the extract brewer outside of the US it may well be difficult to brew a lot of them. Of course with the all grain version there is no issue as we have access to most of the grains listed.

There is a basic description of the brewing process, which most extract and all grain brewers should be familiar with. The preponderance of US units is an annoyance, but easily dealt with in brewing software.

All In all a good book written well in an easy to read style. One factor that I hadn't really considered is that this book also makes a good companion for anyone studying for the BJCP Judge exam, as Jamil really expands on the BJCP style guidelines, and actually describes the tastes and expectations of each style very well.

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Re: Jamil Zainasheff & John Palmer - Brewing Classic Styles

Postby Good Ed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 23:42

All the recipes I have done from Jamil's podcasts on the Brewing Network that come from this book have turned out to be very good, but I don't have the book myself. Jamil makes the point that the recipes in the book are true to style and that if you brew these first you will get an understanding of the style, and then you can vary the recipes to your own tastes.

Here's to the man who drinks strong ale,
and goes to bed quite mellow.
Lives as he ought to live,
and dies a jolly good fellow.
- Old English folk song
Good Ed
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Sun Sep 21, 2014 08:31

I have listened to many of the Brew Strong and Jamil Show podcasts and these have persuaded me to buy this book. I've just done one recipe from this book so far, but I've managed to massively overshoot the intended OG (aiming for 1.038 but got 1.50). Brewmate agrees with me that the ingredients I used should make a 1.050 beer (at 72% efficiency compared to the book's stated 70%) so I'm not sure what's gone wrong.

Anyone else had this issue?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby andyd » Tue Sep 23, 2014 17:54

I've made several of the recipes in this book, or at least used them as a starting point for my own. All have turned out very well.

As mentioned already, it gives a useful jumping off point for different styles. I'm not particularly hung up on styles per se but I am using the recipes to expand my repertoire and maybe try things I wouldn't otherwise contemplate e.g. Dusseldorf Altbier.

@Bad'Ed: I've not noticed any major discrepancies in efficiency, mine is usually around 75%, which brew did you make?
andyd
Brewer

Postby Bad 'Ed » Tue Sep 30, 2014 08:45

I made the 70 shilling. What OG do you get when you put the recipe in?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby ctrl-malt-delete » Tue Sep 30, 2014 13:51

is this book any good for someone who only does all-grain, with no interest in extract brewing?

My brewing blog - http://rowettbrewing.com/
ctrl-malt-delete
Brewer

Postby Aleman » Tue Sep 30, 2014 14:58

ctrl-malt-delete wrote:is this book any good for someone who only does all-grain, with no interest in extract brewing?

It's my style bible ;)

Yes, the recipes are initially given using extract (The Palmer bit), but then Jamil gives you the all grain substitutions ;)

please note:The use of punctuation, bold, underlining, italics, and different sized type, follows the convention used in writing, for many years, to place emphasis on the point being made, and to highlight the importance of that point in the opinion of the author. It is not the intention of the author to shout, if that was the case the author would adopt the, much more recent, convention of using all capital letters.
Albert Einstein wrote:Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
Aleman
Curmudgeonly Brewer

Postby ctrl-malt-delete » Tue Sep 30, 2014 15:13

cool. i use Designing Great Beers as my style reference but it doesn't exactly make it easy to formulate recipes. i'll give this another look, then.

My brewing blog - http://rowettbrewing.com/
ctrl-malt-delete
Brewer

Postby andyd » Fri Oct 03, 2014 13:31

@bad'ed - Beer Engine gives me 1037 for 23L at 75% efficiency, Jamil has 1038 for 6 US gallons (22.7L?) so very similar
andyd
Brewer