The Malt Miller Fresh Wort Kit - Rosetta New World Red Ale

Tell us all about the shop bought All Grain Beer kits you have tried.

The Malt Miller Fresh Wort Kit - Rosetta New World Red Ale

Postby tim_n » Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:08

I have mixed feelings about a fresh wort kit, as its not *quite* all grain, and it's not *quite* a kit.

I first heard of Fresh Wort Kits (FWK) when I was transitioning from extract to all grain. That's mostly because I was researching no chill cubes and FWKs were discussed - they seemed to mostly be available or originate in Australia. I'd not seen them in the UK.

I'd seen Rob of The Malt Miller (TMM) fame start to do them - they seemed fairly niche, ostensibly a middle ground between all grain and canned/bagged kits.

Prehopped Kits without fail seem to have a taste which I can only put down to the condensing process on the hops. I've never tried a non hopped kit and gone through a boil with it, so I'm not an expert in this matter.

Cost comparison wise, a decent two can kit is going to set you back £19-21 and a fresh wort kit such as this from TMM is £31. So what does an extra £10 buy you? First off, you're fully hydrated - so 23L of wort. You also get a very neat plastic jerry can which I quickly looked for a plastic code on, I saw the number 15, which if assuming that's not the year of manufacture is made of cellulose acetate butyrate and not reuseable as a no-chill cube. Perhaps Rob can clarify if that's the case - it'd certainly be a benefit if it's suitable plastic for reuse. You don't get yeast, so you can use one of choice. I went for a mangrove jack liberty bell ale M36 yeast.

Referring back the Australian FWK, cost wise they're AUD 49-59 on average - about £28-35 depending on the hopping it seems. So pretty much on parity with TMM.

In terms of what you need to do, it is however much simpler. Clean & sterilise the fermenting bucket and anything touching the beer as well as the jerry can. Tip it in, add yeast of your choice and, erm, you're done.

No boiling kettles, balancing temperatures etc. I left my kit to acclimatise in the house for a few days, so when it went in the fermentation chamber at 18'C, I noted that it was at 22'C as the front room it was acclimatising is south facing. This gave the yeast a good head start (especially since I'd stored the packet in the fridge and just bunged it straight in cold) and I had a good layer of krausen within 24hrs.

Trying the kit in its pre-fermented form, it tastes excellent, no hint of canned flavour and is, essentially, the same as I would brew myself, but without 4.5hrs of cook and cleaning time.

So what's the purpose of this kit really, when it boils down to it? When I announced this to the brewing group, most were non-plussed - it's beer after all and mostly they brew with me because they like drinking it. They'll try anything at least once, usually many times if it gets them drunk. But two of them said "the pleasure is in making the recipe and refining it" which I agree with. But the purpose of this beer is to get a great tasting beer, for minimum effort and it definitely ticks the minimum effort box.

At present I'm away a lot of the time, so when I'm at home I want to spend my time in the presence of my family. Unfortunately the summer also brings a number of events that some quality ale in a keg goes down nicely. The events are very close together, so I need a lot in a short space of time, so this fits in nicely in bulking out the offerings.

It's still in the fermenter at this point, so I'm not going to be able to give a finished review, but it really was a 5 minute beer, two minutes of which was just waiting for the starsan do its magic. It was fitted in between a walk in the woods and cleaning the bottles for THBF. At the end of it, I felt I'd missed something important, it couldn't have been that easy could it?

Financially it certainly works if you're putting in an order with TMM anyway (be it either an AG or multiple FWK), but availability is thin - Rob says they're very popular they tend to sell out quickly and this has been my first time I've seen one in stock when I'm placing an order. If you're thinking of moving from canned to AG, this is a good middle ground to see the difference in taste.

NB the wife was not happy lugging it over the threshold when I was at work.
tim_n
Brewer

Re: The Malt Miller Fresh Wort Kit - Rosetta New World Red A

Postby vacant » Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:20

tim_n wrote:In terms of what you need to do, it is however much simpler. Clean & sterilise the fermenting bucket and anything touching the beer as well as the jerry can. Tip it in, add yeast of your choice and, erm, you're done.

What about fermenting in the jerrycan if there is a bit of head space? Add yeast and fit a blow-off tube.
vacant
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:24

vacant wrote:
tim_n wrote:In terms of what you need to do, it is however much simpler. Clean & sterilise the fermenting bucket and anything touching the beer as well as the jerry can. Tip it in, add yeast of your choice and, erm, you're done.

What about fermenting in the jerrycan if there is a bit of head space? Add yeast and fit a blow-off tube.

IIRC I wouldn't have said there was anywhere near enough head space to do that... Maybe something Rob can clarify!
tim_n
Brewer

Postby vacant » Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:28

tim_n wrote:
vacant wrote:

IIRC I wouldn't have said there was anywhere near enough head space to do that... Maybe something Rob can clarify!

Well, that would make them really easy if they were sold with some head space (and MM stocked a suitable blow off tube).
vacant
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Tue Jun 06, 2017 09:49

vacant wrote:
tim_n wrote:
vacant wrote:

Well, that would make them really easy if they were sold with some head space (and MM stocked a suitable blow off tube).

Indeed it would. Have sent thread to him for comment. If he does no chill with these (ie uses the hot wort to sterilise the containers) then you wouldn't have the necessary headspace by design. But I have no evidence he's doing that.
tim_n
Brewer

Postby vacant » Fri Jun 16, 2017 16:02

Well, putting my money where my mouth is, I am three days into a jerrycan ferment with no issues so far. I drilled a hole in the lid and attached a blowoff tube just in case. Gervin yeast has produced a decent krausen which got nowhere near the top.

I'm using my new fermenting fridge set for 19C
    My brew length was about 22 ltr, aiming to fill a corny keg
vacant
Brewer

Postby robwalker » Fri Jun 16, 2017 19:06

Your main issue there is lack of aeration, pouring from Jerry can to FV slowly will get lots of oxygen in your beer. Interested to hear how it turns out, Rob is a fantastic brewer having drank his beer at the festival before, so I'm sure it's good
robwalker
Brewer

Postby vacant » Fri Jun 16, 2017 19:44

robwalker wrote:Your main issue there is lack of aeration

Not an issue with Gervin/Nottingam. Pitching a pack of dried yeast into a MM wort kit is pretty much what the experiment is about.

"The yeast contains an adequate reservoir of carbohydrates and unsaturated fatty acids to achieve active growth. It is unnecessary to aerate wort upon first use." Danstar's pdf datasheet has contained that advice for years. I use liquid yeasts but keep a pack of Gervin as a backup. When the pack nears expiration I brew with it and don't aerate.

This was a "no-chill" into my older jerrycan which is a tad too wide for the fermenting fridge. When cooled, I siphoned into my new jerrycan. Usually I'd have stepped up something from a slant in which case I'd give the wort a good whisking in a FV as an intermediate stage between cubes.
vacant
Brewer

Postby vacant » Sat Jun 24, 2017 15:51

Just a bit of detail.

I put approx 22 ltr wort in, lost 2 ltr to gas and trub (sugars convert to equal weights of CO2 and alcohol) and kegged/bottled 20 ltr this afternoon. Krausen didn't get within 8-10cm of the top, loads of space and a redundant blow off tube. Temp was controlled 19C to 20C.

Getting the ring of yeast cleaned out was quite easy with a bent Wilko's bottle brush. The jerrycan is sitting full of bleach solution ready for the next ferment.

I weighed the 25 ltr "AST" jerrycan full to the bottom of the thread - 28 ltr according to cheap bathroom scales.
vacant
Brewer

Postby tim_n » Sun Jun 25, 2017 21:13

vacant wrote:Just a bit of detail.

I put approx 22 ltr wort in, lost 2 ltr to gas and trub (sugars convert to equal weights of CO2 and alcohol) and kegged/bottled 20 ltr this afternoon. Krausen didn't get within 8-10cm of the top, loads of space and a redundant blow off tube. Temp was controlled 19C to 20C.

Getting the ring of yeast cleaned out was quite easy with a bent Wilko's bottle brush. The jerrycan is sitting full of bleach solution ready for the next ferment.

I weighed the 25 ltr "AST" jerrycan full to the bottom of the thread - 28 ltr according to cheap bathroom scales.

I'm still awaiting to reach a sensible FG value. Currently at 1.025
tim_n
Brewer