BrewBarrel - IPA

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Re: BrewBarrel - IPA

Postby StevieDS » Wed May 06, 2015 22:47

I won this in a raffle held by Geterbrewed a couple of weeks back so thanks to them for the opportunity to review this! I got it started tonight. It's a couple of years since I tasted any kit beer, but I don't remember being terribly impressed but I'm trying this with an open mind :)

This is the kit:ImageImage

All the bits and bobs which come in the box, from left to right: The 5 litre mini keg (seems good quality, well made), PRV, 650g bottle of LME, flavouring hop extract, 4g pack of yeast (don't know what type of yeast), cascade aroma hop extract, hersbrucker aroma hop extract, beer mats and instructions.
ImageImage

The instructions are nice and clear and it's a very quick and simple process. As an AG brewer I love all the faff of doing everything from raw ingredients, but I appreciate that not everyone has the time, space or desire, so kits can be a good compromise. And I don't think you can make beer any quicker than this. It probably took me about 10-15 mins. Simply open the keg, pour in the LME, add 1 bottle full of hot water and 5 bottles of cold. Then add the hop extracts and yeast, push in the PRV and job done.
Adding the LME
Top up with water
Adding the hop extract. I was a little dubious about how good extract could be compared to the real thing, but in all honesty they smell fantastic! Especially the cascade, it really smells great.Image
Yeast is in, then pop in the valve. According to the instructions this will regulate the internal pressure to carbonate the beer perfectly.Image
Now I leave it at room temperature for 5 days then refrigerate for 2 more days. Then I tap it and drink straight from the keg ;D
When ready I'll report back on how it tastes, but the preparation couldn't be easier.
It is a little pricey, £20-30 depending on the kit, so £2-3 per pint. But if the quality is excellent and you don't have the time for extract or AG then it might be ok.
Here's a link to their site for further info: http://www.brewbarrel.co.uk
Thanks again to Geterbrewed, here's a link to their selection:
http://www.geterbrewed.com/brewbarrel-beer-kits/
TBC...

"The master has failed more times than the beginner has even tried."

Planning: Brett Amarillo Smash
Fermenting: AG52 Brett Saison v2, AG41 Lambic v2.0
Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
Drinking: AG51 Brett Saison v1, AG53 Standard Bitter
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Thu May 07, 2015 09:22

It will be interesting to see how this turns out - and how clear the beer gets as it will be sat on the trub by the looks of it.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Bad 'Ed » Thu May 07, 2015 12:35

Do you have to brew it according to the instructions? Are you going to test the FG after the suggested 5 day period?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu May 07, 2015 15:23

krazypara3165 wrote:It will be interesting to see how this turns out - and how clear the beer gets as it will be sat on the trub by the looks of it.

That's what I was thinking. I couldn't see clearly but there seems to be some sort of false bottom type thing inside the keg. I don't know if that's to filter the yeast/trub out :hmm:
Bad 'Ed wrote:Do you have to brew it according to the instructions? Are you going to test the FG after the suggested 5 day period?

Yeah I'm just following the instructions to the letter. I will take an fg reading before drinking out of curiosity. I forgot to take an og but from my calculations it should be somewhere around 1.040

Conditioning: AG51 Brett Saison, AG48 Biere de Garde, AG42 Westvleteren XII Clone, AG29 Lambic v1.0
StevieDS
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Wed May 13, 2015 19:34

Well this has had 5 days at 20c then 2 days at 2c in the fridge as per the instructions so here comes the taste test.

I released the prv on the top and extended the tap.Image

Then poured the first glass, as you can see it's a bit foamy :shock:

After a few minutes it settled down so I managed to get a full pint (sort of). It's very murky as I expected. It's possible that it's just because it's the first pull, it may get clearer after a couple of pints.Image

Anyway, how is it?

Aroma- Very nice actually, tropical, citrusy American hops. Very fruity. Smells like a good American pale ale should, very promising.

Flavour- The most prominent flavour is actually an acidic fruity sharpness, almost like citric acid. It's a little unusual, but not entirely unpleasant. Very fruity, particularly orange flavours. Not massive hop flavour but has a decent dryish bitter finish, not bitter enough for an IPA though. Overall it's a little dull but it's definitely better than the 3 kits I made a few years back. It's just a pity it doesn't taste as good as it smells.

StevieDS
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Thu May 14, 2015 23:21

Well I've just had another glass of this tonight and it's much better than the first 2 I had yesterday. It's still cloudy but definitely not as much sediment in it and it tastes way better for it.
Has a much cleaner profile now, not so much of the sharp fruitiness, more crisp and refreshing.
Now I followed the instructions to the letter and they don't suggest that the first pint or so be discarded but maybe they should. Although it seems a little wasteful to chuck 10% of the product away so I doubt they'd say so, but it definitely tastes much better now. Still has that old familiar "kit twang" though.

StevieDS
Brewer

Postby krazypara3165 » Fri May 15, 2015 07:37

EIther way for a kit it does not sound too bad. Most kits need a while before they are any good, It would be interesting to see if anyone does this and leaves it a few months to see how it turns out.

Kegged:
Simecoe APA (HBF Donation)

Bottled:
Galaxy Pale Ale, Woodfordes Wherry, Bella Brew Pale Ale, Strawberry and vanilla Pale Ale, Mixed fruits cider, Elderflower and grapefruit fizz.

Maturing:
Rhubarb Wine, WOW rose', Elderberry wine, Mixed berries wine, Elderflower and grapefruit wine, Elderberry wine.

Next Up:
German Pilsner, Guinness Clone, Chateau De Roi selection kit, Strawberry and lime cider.
krazypara3165
The Weakest Drink

Postby Bad 'Ed » Fri May 15, 2015 08:58

Did you measure the FG?

Never enough time....
Bad 'Ed
Brewer

Postby supersteve » Fri May 15, 2015 09:06

I keep considering buying this for my dad because it's his birthday next month. But I can't get over the price for 1 gallon of beer.
supersteve
Brewer

Postby StevieDS » Fri May 15, 2015 13:12

Bad 'Ed wrote:Did you measure the FG?

Yes 1.014 which makes it about 3.4% abv :|
supersteve wrote:I keep considering buying this for my dad because it's his birthday next month. But I can't get over the price for 1 gallon of beer.

Agreed, £27 is pricey for a 5 litre kit.

StevieDS
Brewer