Make Your Own - Yorkshire Bitter

Kit Brewer, Tell us what you think of the kits you are making, what's good, what's bad, and what should we avoid.

Make Your Own - Yorkshire Bitter

Postby Joe1002 » Mon May 04, 2015 20:35

As requested :thumb:

A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Joe1002

Re: Make Your Own - Yorkshire Bitter

Postby tim_n » Mon May 04, 2015 21:16

Second of two I'm reviewing from this range.

I'm pretty much always all grain these days. But you occasionally get birthday and Christmas presents. These were such!

The brand "Brew Your Own" is produced by SPL international.

The packaging used instead of tins is a unique twin ply sort of vacuum pack. Cutting into it opens both - so don't go looking for extra instructions and to peer at yeast or hop additions until you're ready to brew.

I briefly skimmed the instructions but they were lacking in any detail such as expected gravity.

Getting the liquid out is challenging. First stick in a warm water bath to soften it. Squeeze the majority out and then fold and roll like a tooth paste tube.

Add a couple if kettles of boiling water, 1KG of sugar and cold water up to the 23ltr mark.

Both kits come with specific yeast (as opposed to a single generic pack) and I'm afraid my helpers cleared up a little to efficiently to tell you what either was. No specific brandings though!

Each of the kits also has hops to add after its been brewing for 7 days.

The Bitter has a small pouch of Colombus pellets (by the feel).

Instead of adding sugar to this, I decided to add a couple of packs of muntons light spray malt as substution. Not a big fan of kits and I did fancy having a play (sorry!)

My OG is 1.044.

I'll report back after 3 weeks when I'm back from hols and have bottled. Opinions of the final product will be updated after the home brew festival!

My initial thoughts and feelings apply to both - the squeezy container was difficult to get everything out. With tins you can fill with water and rinse out. The packet is very messy and it is difficult to fill with water without getting very sticky hands. I felt there was probably stuff still stuck inside.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer

Re: Make Your Own - Yorkshire Bitter

Postby tim_n » Sun Jun 14, 2015 19:43

This was the 2nd of the kit beers we brewed on the same day. Out of the two on kegging day, it was much more pleasant and I decided to enter it into the kit beer category.

Judges comments:

Good Aroma of Exotic Fruits, very slight yeast on nose. 9/12

Good head retention, good rising 3/3

Oversweet malt extract 9/20

Typical Kit Mouthfeel too much sweetness 2/5

Typical Kit beer, Low end kit? 4/10

27 out of 50

And it placed 3rd earning a rosette on the day.

Tim

http://www.waark.com - My forays into homebrewing & grow your own
tim_n
Brewer